September 2014 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding

Hi all, I'm an infrequent poster , just had my baby on Monday. I am breastfeeding her and was shown how to latch but didn't ask enough questions in the beginning and ended up with cracked and very sore nipples from improper latch. I went to an LC yesterday and despite the state of my nipples, baby is already gaining weight and taking in more than enough milk. She doesn't have any issues that would give her an improper latch except she won't stop moving her head and tongue when I try to position her. My LC was extremely helpful and I feel like we are able to get a proper latch now but I'm still experiencing a lot of pain and I can't tell if the latch actually isn't working right or it's because of the state of my nipples. I was wondering if anyone has experience with attempting to bf with cracked nipples and if you felt pain. My LC said I shouldn't be feeling pain but because my nipples are so tender I'm wondering if that could be the reason. I'm second guessing every time I latch her and it's causing me a lot of stress and tears. Thanks for any input or suggestions . :)

Re: Breastfeeding

• Options
    When I first started breastfeeding my son it hurt a LOT even when the latch was good. It took a couple weeks of grinning and bearing it before it became truly pain free.

If the latch isn't good it's important to break it and relatch until baby is on correctly. If you are sure the latch is good you may just need to let time go by for it to get better. GL!
  • Options
    For me, breast feeding has been more painful than labor! My mom is an LC and she said his latch is great, but he has a tiny mouth which makes it more difficult. Mine were cracked, bleeding, and super painful. I used to dread every feeding. Within the past few days, things have gotten so much better but the first two weeks were really rough. My mom got me a prescription nipple cream that really helped and I also used a nipple shield if it was really painful. I think mine are finally starting to toughen up but it takes time. Wish I had better advice, just know that you aren't alone!

TTC #1 Since October 2012
    DX PCOS May 2013
    Clomid 50-150mg- No Response
    Moved to RE October 2013
    Nov. 2013: IUI #1 Letrozole + Ovidrel = BFN
    Dec. 2013: IUI #2 Letrozole + Ovidrel= BFP on 1/8/2014 !! EDD 9/17/2014
    Beta #1 (12 dpo): HCG 27, Progesterone 15 (starting on supplements)
    Beta #2 (15 dpo): HCG 297, Progesterone 29
    Beta #3 (17 dpo): HCG 667, Progesterone 34
    1st Ultrasound 1/28 (6 weeks + 1) Baby measuring exactly as it should, HB 118!
    2nd Ultrasound 2/5 Baby measuring 7w4d, HB 133. Everything looks perfect!
    3rd Ultrasound 4/29 (A/S) Our Baby BOY is measuring perfectly and everything looked great! HB160
    Diagnosed with Pre-E at 36 weeks, placed on bed rest, induction schedule for 37 weeks. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #2 on 7/30/15 EDD 4/7/16 MC @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3 on 7/23/16 EDD 3/30/16
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just bite my lip and count to ten when first putting lo on. If it still really hurts beyond that, I unlatch and try again. The beginning is really tough, but a couple weeks in it started getting better.
    image        image
  • Options

I just bite my lip and count to ten when first putting lo on. If it still really hurts beyond that, I unlatch and try again. The beginning is really tough, but a couple weeks in it started getting better.

This. It hurts like a mofo at first, but the pain goes away. If it is still there at 10 seconds, we try again.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I had my son on Monday too and ended up with a cracked and bleeding nipple Wednesday. My friend who is post partem duola came over and said his latch is perfect but reiterated changing positions every time so the same party of nipple doesn't get rubbed each time. She also said it may hurt when first latch but shouldn't hurt the whole time. I like the count to 10 suggestion. You may also want to ask your OB for a prescription for Newman's nipple cream. It is anti inflammatory, antibacterial and antifungal so will keep from nipples getting infected. It's been a life saver.
    Big Brother Nolan 07.30.12
  • Options
    I had blisters on the tip of my right nipple and holy cow, it was painful when she nursed from that side. I used the Earth Mama Natural Nipple Butter after feedings to help soothe them. They took a few days to heal and it would bring tears to my eyes when she first latched on. It's better now, but I'm still sensitive when she initially latches on either side.
    {Me:27, Dx:PCOS, LPD, & rob(14;15)}
    {DH:31 all clear, "super sperm"}
    Ecstatically married July 30, 2011--TTC since Jan 2013:::Baby #1 due 9/11, Conceived on cycle #5 of Femara + Hcg + IUI
    ~Love and Light to everyone~ 
    image image
    My furbabies--Mr. Bubbles and Miss Kitty <3
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

image image
  • Options
    I suspected a minor tongue tie from the start (I had read a bit about this and saw a bunch of photos). The nurses kept saying she was fine and her latches were good (when they really didn't feel that way!) I kept advocating that she get properly checked and it turned out I was right. After they snipped the part, her latch was so much better. I already had bloody cracked nipples at that point so I was given these cooling gel pads and they were such a HUGE help!

A couple days later at a newborn care club session with an LC, one nipple was really cracked/bloody (that she was spitting up/peeing my blood) so I was advised to use a nipple shield on it for about 2 days . Since then, things have gotten much better. My nipples do throb sometimes, and they only hurt when I get cold. I still have to grin and bear it for the first five seconds of her latch. I call her my little snapping turtle =)

• Options
    My daughter was born Wednesday night and because she was more than two weeks early lactation has come by 3 times. The best advice she gave me was if my nipples were hurting a lot when she is first sucking, detach her and try and get a better relatch until it doesn't hurt or is just very mildly uncomfortable otherwise when she starts the deeper sucking it's going to be super painful. Until they toughen up, ice and lanolin

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you so much for your replies- I felt pretty hopeless yesterday and hearing all of this really makes me feel better .
  • Options
    Don't give up. My baby boy was born 3 weeks early and has a little mouth but powerful suck. People would tell me he looked like he had a great latch but it hurt like hell. Finally one of the LCs gave me a nipple shield and that has helped tremendously. I still try and latch on without, but his bottom lip still won't flare out. He is gaining weight so I'm going to keep using the shield. I second putting lanolin after every feeding. Warm compresses made out of a sock and rice helped me too.
    Finally! My September Siggy Challenge: TV Show I'll Be Binge Watching
    REVENGE!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic"

• Options
    Lanolin helped me last time. My troubles weren't as severe as some of the pp's but in the beginning OUCH!!! I used lansinoh pure lanolin and put a lot on after every feeding and it healed so well I even use it when dd has diaper rash.
  • Options
    There is something called Renaud's Syndrome that makes nipples extremely sensitive. You can tell you have it if your nipples are white after feeding. I have a mild form and wow, I share your pain on this one. With my first, I sat and cried. Every suck felt like scissors snipping my nipples. Every suck! With my second , I was given the per rioting cream mentioned above and it made a world of difference. If I had known then what I know now, I would not have endured the agony. Best of luck.
  • Options
    Another thing really good for cracked nipple is to express a little breast milk after nursing, and rubbing it into the nipple. Then let it air dry. Also, keeping your nipples out to air as much as possible.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"