High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Aspirin to reduce risk of HELLP syndrome/preeclampsia

Hey Ladies, 

Has anyone had HELLP syndrome or preeclampsia in your first pregnancy, and taken a baby aspirin in your second pregnancy to reduce risk of recurrence? I developed severe HELLP syndrome at 39.5 weeks with my first baby. Luckily, we both came out ok, but I'm really worried about it happening again with my second baby. I'm 10.5 weeks now, and MFM recommend taking a baby aspirin once a day from 12 weeks until delivery. Have any of you done this, and successfully not had a recurrence? 

Any other stories or anecdotes you'd like to share from your second pregnancy experiences after a first pregnancy turning high risk? 

I feel scared and alone and just want to hear from others who have been in my shoes! 

Re: Aspirin to reduce risk of HELLP syndrome/preeclampsia

• Options

I'm still walking in the shoes so I can't say for sure it will help....but I delivered at 20 weeks due to early and severe preeclampsia and HELLP. My infertility doctor had me on aspirin until I was transferred to my OB at 9 weeks and then I stopped taking it....10 weeks later I was in the hospital. This time around I'm continuing with it in hopes of either keeping it away completely or else at least prolonging it so baby has a chance this time. I'm only 10.5 weeks along myself so I'm not sure quite yet if it will have any change. Good luck to you too!

Me: 33, Endocrine issues & FVL       DH: 32, Nothing 
    NTNP 2009-2012         TTC since 2012:
    • Clomid, 2 IUI cycles, and 5 IVF cycles = BFN
    • FET #1   August 2013 = BFP!     EDD 5/11/14
    • Jack dx at 19w1d with Dandy Walker on 12/16/13
    • Severe Pre-e /HELLP set in Jack born sleeping at 20w1d on 12/23/13
    • FET #2 --July 2014  BFP!  ---  EDD  4/5/15

Jack has handpicked his sibling up there :)

My blog about IF and loss ... Kate's IF Blog

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Anniversary

• Options
    My daughter was born at 35 weeks in 2012 due to severe pre-e. I'm now 26 weeks with my second baby and my OB started me on aspirin last month (I also take Procardia). My blood pressure is lower now than it ever has been and my protein levels are normal as well so it seems to be helping. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I had severe PreE at 39 weeks with my son.  When I became PG with my daughter, I had a consult with a MFM doc to discuss risk and monitoring for that PG (I was being cared for at a freestanding birth center, so the MWs needed to make sure I was "low risk" enough to be at the center).

The MFM doc did mention baby aspirin as being a good option for some moms who are at high risk for PreE, but he did not feel that it would benefit me.  He told me that he suggests it to moms who had PreE before 37 weeks and especially moms who have borderline-high BP in first trimester.  Since my PreE was at 39 weeks, and my first trimester BP was low, he didn't feel that it would benefit me.

FWIW, I did not have PreE or even PIH with my daughter.  She came on her own at 40 weeks, 2 days.

BFP#2:  EDD 2/11/14, MMC confirmed 7/15/13 (growth stopped at 6 weeks), D&C @ 12 weeks 7/25/13

• Options
    andream21 said:

Hey Ladies, 

Has anyone had HELLP syndrome or preeclampsia in your first pregnancy, and taken a baby aspirin in your second pregnancy to reduce risk of recurrence? I developed severe HELLP syndrome at 39.5 weeks with my first baby. Luckily, we both came out ok, but I'm really worried about it happening again with my second baby. I'm 10.5 weeks now, and MFM recommend taking a baby aspirin once a day from 12 weeks until delivery. Have any of you done this, and successfully not had a recurrence? 

Any other stories or anecdotes you'd like to share from your second pregnancy experiences after a first pregnancy turning high risk? 

I feel scared and alone and just want to hear from others who have been in my shoes! 
    I'm in the same shoes as you! I had severe HELLP with my first pregnancy I got it when I went into labor 39 weeks pregnant. I had no signs of it till the labor. I got so bad that I needed blood platelets and a transfusion. Then I was an emergency c section and crashed on the table. Luckily I am okay and my son is now 2 years old. Now I'm 7 weeks with my 2nd pregnancy and am terrified. I haven't been to the doctor yet. My appointment is in 2 weeks. Good luck and let's hope our next labor will be a,smooth process!
  • Options
    I had servere HELLP with my oldest, had him at 32 weeks after a failed induction and emergency c section.

Only issue I had with my second was he was breech. They never brought up aspirin.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had HELLP at 23 weeks pregnant 5 years ago and my DD was stillborn at 24 weeks (I was stubborn and tried to hold out until I almost had a seizure) and I am now pregnant with baby #2 and my dr put me baby asprin when I went in for first appt at 7 weeks. We are praying that this baby will be healthy and no complications. I pray everything goes well and piece of mind for anyone having a baby after HELLP as it a constant worry.

Baby #1 Lost to HELLP Syndrome at 24 weeks.

Baby #2 due 6/11/15 soooo excited!!!!

• Options
    I am not currently pregnant but I had severe HELLP with my 1st. The Drs told me that shouldn't have HELLP if I have another pregnancy but everything that I have read says that there is a possibility of getting it again. I found out that I had HELLP at 28/29 weeks and they said it was asymptomatic. I had no platelets and had a transfusion. Before I was discharged, they wanted me to have another transfusion but I declined. That was in 2011. My daughter was in the hospital after she was born for 3 months but has no complication now. I have been worried about getting pregnant again since I'm older now as well. Hopefully, if it happens every thing will be fine this time.

• Options
    amy0804amy0804 member
    edited April 2015
    I had HELLP syndrome with my first pregnancy, which was diagnosed at 36 weeks, six years ago. For my second pregnancy (four years ago), I saw a maternal fetal medicine / high risk OBGYN practice for the duration of the pregnancy. They monitored me much more closely and at some point about mid way through my pregnancy, I started doing some checks at home every morning (weight, blood pressure, urine protein tests). Thank God I did not develop HELLP during that pregnancy and delivered at 39 weeks via scheduled C-section. I am now very early pregnant with my third. At my initial consultation with the high risk group to discuss the possibility of getting pregnant again, the doctor told me to take a baby aspirin everyday so I have been doing that since the start of this pregnancy.
  • Options
    I had HELLP starting at 37+3 with my first, delivered at 38 weeks. I was in the ICU for 4 days due to ruptured liver hematomas because of it. I'm currently 18 weeks and taking baby aspirin, my BP and Urine are fine at this point. The Dr. said the results of the studies on it were mixed and that it may help but it may not, and it won't hurt to try it.
  • Options
    I had pre-eclampsia with my first pregnancy. I was put on half day bed rest and delivered at 40 weeks. My second pregnancy 4 years later, I had no problem at all. But now I'm 45 with a surprise pregnancy and at high risk because of my age and pre-eclampsia with my first pregnancy so I am on aspirin every day. 27 weeks and so far no problems.