Multiples
Options

C-section vs Vag birth

Did your ob give you the option? I was a little upset yesterday at my first appt when my ob stated his office goes by baby a's placement. Call me crazy... I just hate to birth one & still have to do a c-section because baby b is breach or feet first. Did your ob give you the option to choose? I would personally rather have a planned c-section.

Re: C-section vs Vag birth

• Options
    Typically most will let you decide if baby A is head down. It's always a chance you'll take if you do go vaginal for baby A and baby B ends up being a CS. Some dr's will vaginally deliver a breach baby B but not all. 

And that being said most dr's I believe will let you choose a CS even if baby A is head down. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I will ask at my next appt. thank you ladies for your answers:)
  • Options
    Mine asked me what I wanted to do.... she said once I said what I WANTED that we would move on to whether that was compatible later. Heh
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I was given the option if Baby A was head down. I would have chosen a C section regardless but both are breech so my C section is automatically scheduled.
  • Options
    I was told that it was based on baby A's position; however, last week the babies switch positions so now baby B is on the bottom and head down whereas baby A is now on top and transverse. So I'm guessing that as long as one of them is in the right spot, I can try for a vaginal birth. I was told the second baby can be manipulated after delivery of the first.

My OB does advocate for vaginal births. I, personally, don't want a c-section but I am willing to do whatever it takes for both of them to be here safely. If that means a double whammy, then so be it.
  • Options
    I was told I'd be induced for vaginalbirth only if both babies were head down. Otherwise we'd schedule a c/s...

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• Options
    ksgsmuksgsmu member
    edited September 2014
    My Ob asked me my preference and I said " I want the most controlled safest birth"  she said we can wait and see as I get further along but she would probably recommend a csection.  I shared my concerns about the double whammy ( vag and csection combo).  I am 90% certain about the csection but I might chnge my mind should both babies be head down.  They would still require me to deliver in the OR.
    ***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• Options
    The hospital I deliver at strongly encourages attempting a vaginal birth if A is vertex and B is roughly the same size or smaller. When I went into PTL I had some concerns about doing a breech extraction of B and my OB told me she wouldn't be comfortable doing that prior to 32 weeks so the plan was made that if I delivered prior to that point it would most likely be a csection. I ended up delivering both vaginally at 34 weeks. Both were head down when I went into labor so I didn't even bring it up but I think had B been breech my OB would have been on board with a csection once we talked about it.
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
    The Science Babies debuted 5/6/14 @ 34 weeks
  • Options
    He probably just meant that Baby A will guide the choice.  If Baby A is breech, it will preclude a vaginal birth.  

I think there was a recent poll that was pinned that can show you better.

D & L are here at 34 weeks 4 days by vaginal and breech delivery on 11/19/2013
    Two healthy boys weighing 4 lbs 15 ozs and 4 lbs 5 ozs.  Only 6 days in the NICU and getting bigger, stronger and cuter every day! 
  • Options
    Mine were both head down, but pretty close to each other and my B was a bit bigger. Even though I had med free vaginal births for my singletons, so obviously I know the benefit, I elected a planned c-section for my twins. I decided I would rather give up that ideal vagunal delivery than risk an emergency c-section or double whammy (and I knew a lot of moms who ended up in an emergency situation). You have to do what you are comfortable with and don't be ashamed to choose something based on personal preference. I struggled with my decision the whole pregnancy, and now, I don't regret it for even a second. I had a great experience.
    DD- Born 03/09/2010
    DS- Born 01/21/2012
                                              Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Options
    My OB seems to be a fan of pushing vaginal as long as A is head down. Honestly, I want to do what is safest for my babies and I believe he does, too. So, if he thinks I'm better off attempting vaginal and he thinks he can get B out, I'm okay with that. 

With that said, my babies have been stubbornly sitting on their feet the entire pregnancy and, at 29 weeks, are showing no signs of flipping. So, the decision might be made for me. 

(Also, I would look into the likelihood of a having double whammy if you do try to deliver vaginally. I was freaked out about that, too, but I heard that the chances of it happening are really low. Of course, it is still a possibility.)

N14 Nov. Siggy: CELEBRATION!

image image
    TTC since 2011
    Aug. - Sept. 2013 - dIUIs = BFNs
    January 2014 - IVF = 3 freezer babies
    March 2014 - FET of AA and AB blast = BFP! Twins! 
    Nov. 7, 2014 - Wilhelmina "Willa" Suzanne (4lb 14oz) and Ari Jose (6lb 4oz) were born via CS
    image image

image image image image 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    twinmom1121twinmom1121 member
    edited September 2014
    My baby A was head down and baby B transverse so my OB told me it was entirely up to me and that I had to make the decision. I opted for the csection because I didn't want to end up with and emergency csection for baby b if he flipped the wrong way. It was a hard decision though because I did want the vaginal birth. I just decided csection was safer for me and the babies and I'm glad I did. I agree with pretty much everyone on here that most drs will decide depending on baby A's positioning.

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Even though my DS was an emergency c-sec, my OB was still giving me the option of v-bac over RCS, but, baby A has been frank breech sine day one and is 18% smaller than B who is transverse so RCS it is and I am actually quite happy with this choice.

Do what you want to do and don't feel bad about it. This is about you and those 2 babies and no one else.
    Me: 37 DH: 40 TTC since 9/09
    #1 BFP 1/10/11; missed m/c discovered 7w5d
    IF Dx: Endo, hetero MTHFR mutation, poor morphology
    #1 IUI: 1/18/12 = BFN
    #1 IVF/ICSI 4/2/12 = 2 x 7-cell and 1 x 5-cell transferred (3dt) = BFP!!
    H was born at 41w2d on 12/29/12 - be still my heart!
    #2 IVF/ICSI 1/19/14 = 2 x 8 cells transferred (3dt) = BFP!! EDD 10/09/14
    M&W born at 37 weeks on 9/18/14 - I am the momma of 3 boys!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Baby A's position will be the overriding factor. Many will do breech extractions for baby B bc you've already pushed A's head out (which is why they like A bigger than B). They can also try and turn a transverse B in utero after A is born to get them head down.

Obviously, do what you want.

I had a breech baby A and ended up w an emergency c/s under general anesthesia and a hard recovery, so even if a c/s is a given it doesn't mean everything will go smoothly. You just never know.

• Options
    If both babies heads are down I think most doctors would prefer a vaginal birth. If Baby B's head wasn't down by 36 weeks for me, we were going to schedule a C-section. Baby B ended up flipping and I had the babies vaginally on August 26th. I don't regret having them naturally, it hurt like hell but the recovery is so much easier than a C-section! The babies are 2.5 weeks now and I feel great.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"