Attachment Parenting
Options

Help! Baby cries when held by others!

My LO is 3.5 months. He is really attached to me. He cries and works himself up when my mom and dad come over or I take him there to be watched. In November, they will be babysitting full time when I return to work. I'm trying to get a strategy in place to make him more comfortable with them before November. Any ideas would be appreciated!!
First time mommy-to-be
E.D.D. June 1, 2014

Re: Help! Baby cries when held by others!

• Options
    I'm no expert but maybe they could come over a few times and interact with him while you hold him but not try to hold him themselves. And after he starts to get used to that they could hold him for a little while while you stay right there and basically over the next few months slowly work up to them watching him alone. There may be some crying but as long as you're there in the beginning and your parents are patient and soothing I think it will all work out fine. I apologize if this post makes no sense. I didn't get much sleep last night

imageimage

• Options
    Does he continue crying when you leave?  I know my son is a bigtime crier.  He'll be 3 in a couple weeks, but even now he cries whenever we leave him with someone.  Of course he stops crying moments after.

I would also give yourself a big pep-talk before passing him off, I have a feeling you are anxious about giving him to someone to hold.  I don't mean this as judgment, it's normal that you're anxious because you expect he's going to start crying.  But that anxiety is probably being felt by your son, and since he doesn't know why you're getting tense, he may associate it with the people you're giving him to.  Which makes him anxious too.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think @karah4816 is right and you should gradually help your LO get used to being hold by someone else. And treat this as a game. He may be feeling you're anxious because of the approaching deadline. Let us know how you get on!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"