Pregnant after 35

Embarrassed to buy lingerie?

I confess I'm quite the prude.  I'm going to have to upsize my underwear pretty soon and I'm kind of embarrassed to go to Victoria's Secret sporting a small bump in case I need to be measured.  (Yeah, yeah, laugh it up.)  I may end up shopping online or at maternity stores.  Anyone else embarrassed of going to a lingerie store with a visible bump?

Re: Embarrassed to buy lingerie?

• I just want a bra to fit me right. Bought a couple online (same brand/same size, but different style) and one fits, one doesn't. But yes. I am petrified to go there and get fitted. I guess I need to suck it up and just go on a fitting/trying spree.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Proud Mom to Kaleigh (14yr) Emma (12yr) and Hanna (7yr)

photo 65b2d6f3-b1dd-4a2a-944b-fcb0ed878723_zpsc89c0b93.jpg
    NeonNoon
  • I went to a bra store. I figure that's what they do all day, every day- so I was not embarrassed and I really was afraid to buy on line and get bras that don't fit.... since the difference in sizing can vary a lot between brands.  I don't think of VS as particularly maternity friendly. Since they don't bother with nursing bras, I choose to shop elsewhere.... But good luck with your discomfort.  Maybe try a bra fitting store?
    Pregnancy Ticker
    NeonNoon
  • Loading the player...
  • I'd suggest going to Nordstrom if you have one.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    NeonNoon
  • I've had so many people be all up in my business over the course of 4 years of IF treatment that I couldn't care less at this point who sees what!

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

ksgsmuNeonNoonLady2010BeckyP005
  • I would also also say not to shell alot of money on a bra this stage  I have already grown out of the bras I bought in first tri.  I finally went to Motherhood and got some cheap maternity/nursing bras that have an extender so they are somewhat "adjustable".  I can use them after the babies come to nurse.  They were also running a great sale and I used a coupon so they were super affordable!
    ***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

NeonNoon
  • Nope.  I just buy packs of comfy panties at Target or Kohls.  Becoming a mom made me rethink buying VS panties (although maybe they will make a come back!).
    BabyFruit Ticker
    NeonNoon
  • Yeah, get cheap bras for now. Your sizes will change. I have some from Target that I wear in the transition zones. I am just growing out of my regular bras now and will have to make the switch soon. Boo!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    NeonNoon
  • All of my underwear purchases are at VS.  I already went and got a new bra.  Before I even got measured, I told the girl I was pregnant.  Now, I didn't get my usual bra in a bigger size because I just wasn't quite big enough for the bigger one.  So, I live in some discomfort all day but my ladies look good! :)  (I've been a B my whole life, then after my last pregnancy I went to a C and now I'm fillin' it large so for an itty bitty titty girl this is the best part of pregnancy!! LOL)  I did buy a sport type bra for home and sleeping.

Good luck and don't be embarrassed!  They have seen all shapes and sizes and could care less how you look.  :)
    1/1997 - DS
    9/1998 - Ectopic :: 4/2001 - M/C :: 8/2006 - Ectopic :: 4/2007 - M/C :: 8/2008 - Ectopic
    4/2010 - DD
    4/2012 - M/C
    6/2014 - Surprise Pregnancy at 42 yrs old! EDD 2/16/2015
    6/9 +HPT :: 6/10 hCG 383 :: 6/12 hCG 1190 :: 6/17 hCG 8224, Prog 26.4
    6/24 U/S #1 showing 6w2d CRL .43cm w/HB! :: 7/7 U/S #2 CRL 1.73cm w/strong HB!!
    7/31 NT Scan U/S #3 CRL 49mm, HB160 | MaterniT21 - Negative!!
    TEAM PINK
    9/2 - AFP Panel - Negative | U/S #4 HB150
    10/1 Anatomy U/S #5 | HB 134 | CPCs found, Trisomy 18 ruled out w/Mat21 on 7/31 | all other development normal!

11/24 - Glucose was normal at 94
    12/23 - BPP U/S #6 HB 138 :: 12/30 - BPP U/S #7 HB 159 :: 1/5 - BPP U/S #8 HB 154
    1/12 BPP/Growth U/S #9 HB 129, weighs 5lb 12oz already w/ 4 weeks to go!!
    1/20 BPP/Growth U/S#10 HB 155, weight 6lb 9oz :: 1/26 BPP U/S#11 HB153 :: 2/2 BPP U/S #12 HB 137 :: 2/9 BPP U/S #13 HB 150
    :::::::::: 2/12 - INDUCTION DAY!! ::::::::::
    BabyFruit Ticker
    NeonNoonBeckyP005
  • BabyBliss76BabyBliss76 member
    edited September 2014
    Oh wow my hubby would love it if I went to VS. Lol! With my last baby I sported the granny undies from Hanes and got some super comfy cotton nursing bras from Walmart. I wore the bras during my last trimester and the whole 14 months I nursed. I loved them...I plan on looking for more!

BabyFruit Ticker

NeonNoon
  • My bump has nothing to do with hating to go into VS or elsewhere. I'm just big all around anyway so I feel like I don't belong there since I'm not a size 2.

I just ordered some cute & sexy jammies online (delivered today!) for our anniversary night away. Much easier on my ego.
    DS #1  2/2010
    NeonNoonjcdorsey74
  • @BabyBliss76 - do you happen to remember what sizes the bras at Walmart went up to?  I don't want to spend a lot on a bra either, but I'm start to outgrow my good ones from Lane Bryant, so I need to get some cheap ones (unless LB is having a good sale, their bras are usually around $35-40).

ME: 38, DH: 42, stopped BCPS 1/2013, TTC #1 2/2013, AMH 0.4, started acupuncture: 7/2013,
    BFP: 10/07/2013; MC 10/15/2013 @ 7 wks (natural), focused on health issues for 7 months.
    TTC again: 6/2014, 2nd round Letrozole, BFP 7/7/2014!!! --- EDD 3/18/2015!!!

image BabyFruit Ticker
    image BabyFetus Ticker
  • I just bought a couple ones at walmart. Aahhhh relief!! They were $14 each.
    Pregnancy Ticker

edited September 2014

@mdogan I just went to look for them and they don't have them online at Walmart anymore.

:( This is what I have from last baby.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bestform-Maternity-Soft-Cup-Nursing-Bras-2-Pack/13443011

They are not anything fancy but they were really comfortable and cotton. Plus no wires!! Wires suck for breastfeeding, IMO. Plus easy to work while out and about and needing to nurse.

They do have these that look similar, maybe they changed the name.

Think I will check out the store the next time I am there.

BabyFruit Ticker

mdogan29
  • well I have to take the ones I bought at Walmart back (they are not maternity/nursing bras) bc the wire is poking me something fierce in the pits. I have to wire ones for daily use. so I guess I will be back there Monday morning trying more on.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I've had so many people be all up in my business over the course of 4 years of IF treatment that I couldn't care less at this point who sees what!
    I so agree!!!  When I went into it with my first DD I kept telling DH you need to be up by my head and I don't want any male Dr.s and then I struggled and had all sorts of DR's and wands and scopes up in there and when labor happened DD had the whole NICU team waiting for her to arrive.They were all lined up against the wall I didn't give a flying fig that there were 12 people in there waiting on me to push her out!  It was like a party in my room!! LOL  

I'm sure VS is used to seeing all sorts of things.  I would also second Nordstrom's or Dillards.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

IF History in my Bio!

NeonNoonSamuelismomma
  • Never mind sporting a bump, I'm embarrassed even when I'm in the best possible shape! I just don't appreciate strangers being in such close proximity while I'm naked, even if they're trying to help me. Long live online shopping with free returns!
    NeonNoonmdogan29jcdorsey74
  • On the subject of nursing bras raised earlier, a book I'm reading suggests buying one a band size and a cup size larger than your pre-birth size (3rd trimester, I assume?) for the first couple of weeks after birth, and then buy for an adjusted size beyond that.  How reliable is that as a guide?
  • @neonnoon with all my babies I wore the same size bra pretty much the whole time I was nursing. I would just need to adjust the band down as I lost weight. With my last baby I purchased the bras in my 3rd trimester. You might need a smaller cup size as you go but I really did not because I had to use nursing pads for months after with my last. Did not with the other 2 babies. But I don't remember having to buy a bunch of different bras with them, just the few I got while pregnant. Those first few days/week after baby you feel like you have bowling ball boobs and they don't want to fit into anything. Lol!

BabyFruit Ticker

NeonNoonmandyreads
  • Funny you called them "bowling ball boobs" @BabyBliss76 bc it is true lol. When I had my first I was astonished at how big they got. My parents were trying to sell a boat at the time and my mom said she wanted to put me in a bikini top and take a pic with it...maybe help sell it LOL!
    But I think I'm headed to Target later today and see what I can find.
    Pregnancy Ticker

BabyBliss76mdogan29
  • @mandyreads let us know if you find anything!! I don't have a Target in the town I live but there is one the next town over. Don't get there to much with it being 30+ miles away :( If you happen to be over in the maternity clothes check out the coats. Please :) Lol! My jacket is already snug on my bloat. Lol!!

BabyFruit Ticker

• @BabyBliss76 I was just there the other day and ours didn't have any coats yet. The selection of maternity is limited. Of course it is a smaller Target.
    Pregnancy Ticker

BabyBliss76
  • @BabyBliss76 I found a great bra. It was like wrapping my boobs in heaven. Beauty by Bali. The only problem I could probably go up one more size but they only seem to have went to 42. Guess I will look online and see if they have a 44. And still no coats :(
    Pregnancy Ticker

BabyBliss76
    edited September 2014

@mandyreads Sounds heavenly! Lol! I will have to check them out. Thanks! :)

BabyFruit Ticker

• With my first pregnancy, I was. But-- now that magazines and media are making pregnant women out to be the most beautiful women out there, and putting them in sexy clothes, I am much more confident!
  • I just go to vs they measure me over my shirt then I find ones I like and try them on. I'm a 34-36(at my biggest) so I don't have to wear maternity at all..oh and lab tech said to me yesterday..oh your pg? I want a basketball but not getting it! Boo
    ***ticker warning*** DS 3/27/12 born 6 weeks early....my perfect boy !! Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers [url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lb1f.lilypie.com/z5R8p1.png[/img][/url] image<a href="http://www.thebump.com/?
  • I also think that Target or Nordstrom are better choices. I wouldn't go to VS either only after I am back to my normal body (kind of). I actually went to Target today because I had bought a bra a couple weeks ago and I realized I need a larger cup (for the future). I didn't feel embarrassed at all. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"