Parenting after a Loss
Options

"He looks like dad!" (mini vent)

If one more person, especially my MIL, says R. looks "just like his dad!", I think I might scream. He does, of course, resemble his dad. Of course, he also resembles me. That's how this genetics thing works. In the end, he will look a bit like each of us -- but mostly like himself.

PLUS, um, well -- he's a mostly bald baby and his dad is a mostly bald man. So, yeah, they have that in common. :-D

I don't know if people feel the need to say that because he's a boy, but it stings sometimes. I am the one who carried him for 9+ months, after all. He's mine, too, darnit! 

Have any of you run into this?

CafeMom Tickers

January PAL siggie challenge; Good advice:

Re: "He looks like dad!" (mini vent)

• Options
    I had weekly scans for IC and took home tons of ultrasound pics, all looking SO much like my DH. Tate has his mouth, without question. DH really got a kick out if that. We nick named the baby M&M ( mini/ my husbands name) Once he was born, and opened his eyes, ( and all the early swelling went away) there they were, Mommy's eyes! The same eyes as my Dad, late grandad, and several family members still in Ireland. The eyes take over his face, and I know DH is fine with it, but jokes that he is his, too. My son looks so much like my nursery school pic, and my Dad's baby pic, but has DH's hands, feet, and ears. Genetics are amazing.. ( iPad blob)

imageimage

Me:41/ lean PCOS, 2 clotting disorders, IC/ DH:41~ TTC since 1/11
    Clomid 50mg,100mg,150mg | Injectables + IUI#1 & IUI#2= BFN
    IVF#1~ 8/2012~ 13 frosties~ BFP! OHSS
    12/4/12 Luke & Kyle born @ 18 weeks
    SHG+ Hysteroscopy+ FET= BFP | Cerclage+ Lovenox+ 5m Bed Rest
    ~Our wee guy is here! 11/27/13~

PAL January Siggy Challenge~ Good Advice

• Options
    SciChickSciChick member
    edited September 2014
    Yep. S looks A LOT like DH and everyone loves to point it out. She does, of course but I always thought at first that she was a nice meld of us. I will have some people, who don't know him, say that she looks a lot like me but I too mostly see her daddy. In fact, in one of the ultrasounds I remarked to my husband that I thought the baby had his facial bone structure so I am not surprised. The funny thing is that there's a picture of one of my sister's girls as a baby that looked identical to DD when she was little. Identical. It's so early right now and you're right he will probably show more of you in the future but it's just a genetic lottery. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    SciChick said:
    that there's a picture of one of my sister's girls as a baby that looked identical to DD when she was little. Identical. It's so early right now and you're right he will probably show more of you in the future but it's just a genetic lottery. 
    R. looks eerily like two of my nephews as babies, so I am really interested to see how his looks change as he gets older. :) 

Neither DH nor I have photos of ourselves as newborns, so it would be fun to compare those side-by-side, if we can find some at our folks' houses.

CafeMom Tickers

• Options
    DS mostly takes after me, but it is crazy how identical he is to my dad's pictures as a kid. My grandmother was the one to pick that up, pretty early on too. She laughs every time she sees him and says it's like looking at my dad all over again. The coolest part is that she keeps pulling out pics of my dad at various ages to compare them. I had never seen these pics before.

DH and I are both irish with a bit of different Western European ancestry, so a lot of the same "looks" are going to be seen on both sides.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - (B9PH)

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

BFP #1: 8/4/11; DS1 born sleeping on 11/16/11 at 19w1d

BFP # 2: 5/7/12, EDD 1/10/13, DS2 born 1/4/13

BFP # 3: 11/8/13, EDD 7/17/14, mmc 10wks

BFP # 4: 5/16/14, EDD 1/15/15, praying for our 2nd rainbow baby 

• Options
    My MIL claims everything about my kids comes from MH.  DS1 definitely looks like daddy, but DS2 is my mini me.  Even still, everything is "oh...he gets that from his daddy."  Whatever lady. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    cmumama said:

My MIL claims everything about my kids comes from MH.  DS1 definitely looks like daddy, but DS2 is my mini me.  Even still, everything is "oh...he gets that from his daddy."  Whatever lady. 

I get that too! At different points my MIL has said that the boys looked exactly like DH when they were babies. :/ That's why she calls herself mama.

The funnier thing is DS1 had blonde hair as a baby & DS2 had black. It looks like they will both have curly hair too...DH had straight hair. DH has blue eyes...neither kid has blue eyes. DS2 has dark brown like me.

TTC January 2010
    BFP #1 10-11-10 ectopic discovered 10-22-10, 10-23-10 methotrexate & emergency surgery, lost right tube BFP #2 12-1-10 Found to be tissue dropped from salingectomy or missed heterotopic pregnancy from BFP #1 BFP #3 1-30-11 DS arrived on due date 10-10-11 BFP #4 Surprise 9-3-12 EDD 5-9-13 DS2 arrived 5-5-13 BFP #5 5-14-14 Emergency D&C 6-16-14 9 weeks
  • Options
    Everyone says Anna looks like her dad too. I had the same reaction as you - "Hey, I grew her!!" I almost kissed the one person who has said she looks like me. I must admit she looks like her dad, but it looks like at least her hair will be red like mine. It's something!

first son stillborn 7/20/13 at 39 weeks due to Acute Fatty Liver of Pregnancy
    It's a girl! Baby Anna was born August 3, 2014!

• Options
    I had more than one person comment from DS1's ultrasound that he looked just like his father. They were right. He is his dad's mini-me. He has slight features that are mine but mostly he's a clone.

DS2 at this point doesn't look as much like DH. He definitely has more features from my side but as he fills in he's starting to look more like DS1 did as a baby so I think they'll look similar ultimately.
  • Options
    Yes I get this a lot from MIL, it's almost as if she thinks he was cloned from DH and he does look a lot like him. However, he actually looks a lot like my little brother so I think it's a toss up.

mean_girls_35345Image and video hosting by TinyPic         PAL Sep challenge George Takei image
    Started dating in 5/9/05, Married 6/25/11
    Started TTC Feb 2013, BFP #1 3/4/13 EDD 11/10/13. MMC 4/9/13 D&C 4/22/13.
    BFP #2 7/17/13, EDD 3/29/14 ended in a CP on 7/22/13.
    BFP#3 8/19/13 EDD 5/3/14 Nerdling was born 4/29/14, welcome little one!
     All AL welcome.

image   Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    P will be 15 months on Sunday.  I hear about how much he looks like his father or semi-daily basis.  Sometimes multiple times from the same person.  We have often had strangers come up to us in restaurants, stores, etc and inform DH that he can't "deny that baby".  Well good thing he doesn't...
  • Options
    I can totally relate to this, but on the other side. People are constantly saying how much L looks like me. And I feel bad because I think DH has a hard time seeing the resemblance to himself because of it. I actually came across some pics of DH as a toddler that looked a bit like L. I had to remind DH that L may not look like him now, but compared to him as a baby there is plenty of resemblance. Ultimately, I wish people didn't put so much emphasis on who the baby looks like. The baby looks like a baby. And when they grow up, they will look like themselves.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers    
      *All AL Welcome*    imageimage

• Options
    my MIL is terrible about doing this too----ALL THE TIME. It got so bad, MH even said something to her. It was so annoying. I feel for ya!

Ticker/Siggy Warning:  Children and losses mentioned

TTC #1 since 7/2011
    ME: 37  DH: 38
    SA-12/28/11-normal
    HSG-1/16/12-possible blocked left tube
    BFP#1---CP 7/9/12
    Hysteroscopy-8/9/12-blocked left tube for sure, proceeding with IUI#1
    IUI#1 (Gonal-F + trigger)=BFP#2 m/c @ 19w1d D&E 1/23/13
    IUI #2 (Gonal F + trigger)=BFP#3 EDD 1/6/14 TWINS!!!
    Identical girls born 11/17/13
    BFP#4 EDD 8/27/15 MMC at 7w6d

BFP#5 m/c at 6w

BFP#6 EDD 10/5/16  Going Strong!  It's a Girl!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options

MH is an identical twin and my MIL is convinced that J looks just like them. Try having your MIL not only compare your baby to your husband, but also his brother before she says your kid looks like you.

And J undeniably looks like me. Seriously, it's a bit uncanny how similar our baby pics are.

Oh, and MIL tried to get everyone to call my BIL "Uncle Daddy". FU, crazy MIL. That's effing creepy.

Hee Hee Hee...

imageimage

Me:41/ lean PCOS, 2 clotting disorders, IC/ DH:41~ TTC since 1/11
    Clomid 50mg,100mg,150mg | Injectables + IUI#1 & IUI#2= BFN
    IVF#1~ 8/2012~ 13 frosties~ BFP! OHSS
    12/4/12 Luke & Kyle born @ 18 weeks
    SHG+ Hysteroscopy+ FET= BFP | Cerclage+ Lovenox+ 5m Bed Rest
    ~Our wee guy is here! 11/27/13~

PAL January Siggy Challenge~ Good Advice

• Options

Oh, and MIL tried to get everyone to call my BIL "Uncle Daddy". FU, crazy MIL. That's effing creepy.

What??? O.o Oh, my.

CafeMom Tickers

• Options
    Everyone says DS looks like his daddy. Even in the hospital the nurses kept commenting about how I carried and gave birth to him but he looks nothing like me. DS does resemble DH a lot, especially when you look at baby pics of DH. I'm hoping at some point he will show some resemblance to me!
    BFP #1 7/23/12: EDD 4/1/13.  MMC discovered on 9/4/12 @ 10w1d
    BFP# 2 3/9/13:  EDD 11/12/13 m/c 3/15/13 @ 5w3d
    RPL testing shows one copy of MTHFR gene mutation. 
     BFP#3 12/24/13: EDD 9/5/14 Beta #1 13 DPO 168! Beta #2 16 DPO 895!
     First US 1/9/14 @ 5w6d Strong HB!
    2nd US 1/23/14 @ 7w6d baby is still doing great! 3rd US 1/31/14  9w0d: Beautiful wiggly baby! Keep growing baby!
    3/17/14 US @ 15w3d:Its a BOY!

My rainbow baby Isaac has arrived! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"