January 2014 Moms
Options

Packing tips

Since it seems like a lot of us are moving lately I thought it'd be nice to get some tips on packing. Did you use boxes or totes? Both? How early did you start packing? Did you pack your stuff or your kids stuff first? Tell me everything, I'm so lost. TIA
image image
Married 8/9/13
Ashton James Rogers 10/29/13

image  image

Re: Packing tips

• Options
    I have not moved in a long time but last time I remember just basically throwing stuff in boxes and moving them over to the new place a car load at a time (I was only moving about a half mile away).  Clothes I would just bag or throw in the back of your car on the hangers.  I think one time I just moved the whole dresser as is with all the clothes still in the drawers.  Breakables are pretty much the only thing I have ever wrapped and taken care with.  I also have never used professional movers though so I will defer to someone else with more experience if you are going that route. 

• Options
    We're moving about 40 minutes away and this is our first house. We're moving everything ourselves using our friends trucks.
    image image
    Married 8/9/13

image  image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We are moving in 2 weeks and hardly anything is packed. We are paying for a full service move, though, and only packing our essentials that we will need for 3-4 months. All of our other items will be going into storage until we both land jobs and can qualify for a new mortgage. 

Anyways, that being said, we are using both boxes and plastic bins. The bins are for anything that might get damaged by the elements, boxes for pretty much everything else. 

When packing boxes, make sure they are FILLED to the top and all empty space is filled with something. I learned my lesson the last time as many unfilled boxes were easily crushed during the move due to empty space. 

Obviously use smaller boxes for heavy things such as books, or you will regret it. For short distance move, pack your clothes and linens and stuff in garbage bags, but make sure the bags are somewhat durable. Cheap bags are worthless  and rip so easily and your stuff can get stained or snagged. 

Don't bother taking stuff off the hangers either. Just bag it folded in half with hangers still on, or make a hole at the bottom of a garbage bag and put the hanger hooks through there for a makeshift garment bag. 

Pack breakables in linens instead of wasting money on bubble wrap. 

That's all I can think of right now. 
  • Options
    jcwinstojcwinsto member
    edited September 2014

Yes, it definately depends on how far you are moving and how much time you have to do it in.

@Tylynngrace if you have the time to do it, I would suggest putting away each truck load as you take it.  Of course, that doesn't mean unpacking decorations, hanging pictures, etc.  But I do like to put the kitchen, pantry, bathrooms, closets away as they are delivered.  It makes for a less intimidating pile when you are done and the essentials are already in place and you can at least goto bed and tackel the rest over the next few days. 

When you pack the things that aren't going to be unpacked right away make sure to label the box very well.  I hate labeling and get lazy after a few boxes and then regret it when we get there because I have to go through every box to find that one thing I want to hang in that one spot.

If you have people helping you and they ask what to do with a box don't be afraid to tell them to take the things out of it and put them in the bathroom cabinet rather than just telling them to set it in the bathroom.  This way you have extra boxes for your next trip and some of the stuff will already be done for you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Currently we have it set up so that MH and our friends and family will be doing the running back and forth while me and my friends stay at the house and unpack. My mom will have DS to keep him out of the way so this will go smoothly.
    image image
    Married 8/9/13

image  image
  • Options
    Boxes. Start as early as you can. Pack unneeded items first (books, kitchen appliances you don't need, decor, extra toiletries, etc.) When you get down to the last week you ideally have only essentials out. Think about what you would need if you were in a vaca rental for a week, that's all you need out.

Label each box with the room it goes in on multiple sides. I always print color coded room names in big type then tape that to the boxes so it's easy to read. Use towels/washcloths as packing for fragile items. On local moves, I found its faster in the long run to do one big trip then to run back and forth.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

mutt_zps2fb5f039-1_zps7220f27c
    BFP 11.8.12 * EDD 7.17.13 * MC 12.20.12
     photo bump_zpsf1e8435c.jpgRIP Post Count

• Options
    I haven't moved recently, but I have moved a lot. I found when having friends and family help, labelling was good. I would put a big sticker "K" for kitchen stuff and a smaller label of an idea of the contents. Then when unloading anyone could figure out what room to drop the box in. For bedrooms, I would also label the door of the room.
    I also like to pack the first nights bedding and clothes in suitcases kept close by and would get those set up as soon as possible.

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

**Psalm 139:16**

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"