January 2014 Moms
Options

Low supply

I am a teacher so had the summer off and since going back to school my supply has really dropped. I live near school and try to get home to nurse for lunch but don't always have time, and now that she's on solids as well, the breast milk has really taken a bit. I used to nurse from one side in the morning and pump the other and have enough to leave a bottle for the day but now I can only get two ounces out of one side if I'm lucky. I've googled it but everything I find seems to be for new moms (make sure they're latching properly, make sure they're gaining weight, etc) Any advice on how I can get things to pick up when I can't always find time to nurse or pump during the day? I don't think either DD or I are ready to give up BFing yet!

Re: Low supply

• Options

Eat (real) oatmeal every day.  Don't use the instant stuff.  Get at least 96 oz of fluids.  Drink a dark beer every night.  Take fenugreek daily.  Get lots of protein and good fats.  Pump and nurse as often as possible.  Maybe try power pumping after LO goes to bed or wake up to pump once overnight.  This will help you store more for bottles during the day.  It's going to be really hard to keep it up without pumping at least once or twice during the day though.  I know there are some things I'm missing.  Try lurking the BFing board.

FWIW, I've recently had to start supplementing during the day because I'm not able to pump enough.  So far, I've still been able to EBF on nights and weekends.  So just because you have to supplement while you are apart doesn't mean you can't EBF when you are together.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My advice doesn't seem to be popular, but I let my baby reverse cycle so he wakes up and nurses more at night than he takes in during the day. We bed share so it really doesn't interrupt my sleep at all, and as a result I pump well more than I need to during the day (I only pump twice). If bed sharing is not for you, perhaps your baby can sleep in a crib or PnP next to your bed to make it easier for you to nurse at night. The research I have done has found that nursing during the night will help your supply during the day. I also work full-time, and I can report I'm not a zombie even with DS's night wakeups (typically 2).
                        Nathaniel Robert born 1.16.2014

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes, same here.  I went back a few weeks ago and my supply took a hit.  I also got my first post-partum period.  I'm thinking the two are related.

I used to pump about 10-12 oz. during three pumps last year but I had a great teaching schedule.  This year, I am lucky if I can get two pumps in, but usually it is just during my lunch; my pumps during the day give me about 4-6 oz.  I have been so busy and I have to get stuff done.  I add an extra pump right before I go to bed at night so I can usually get another 3 oz there.  Everything combined, plus the extra evening pumps on the weekend, give me JUST enough.

DD is also eating solids now which is helping because she doesn't drink as much milk during the day.  Usually she will take 3 3oz bottles and then eat one of the baby food containers during lunch.
    imageimage

Lilypie - (75Jo)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"