Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Daycare question

Hi!  My husband and I have been through many daycare situations and have decided a center is the best option for us for many reasons, especially because of the way our 2 1/2 year old DD thrives when she goes.  I have recently had to start working 5 days a week along with my husband.  That being said, we also have a DS who is 6 months old and we are having a little trouble with him.  We have to be at work about 40 minutes away by 7 am every day, so we have to get the kids up around 5:30.  I BF DS at that time and drop them off at daycare around 6.  Often they will keep him up until 8 or 9 before napping and then sometimes he only takes little cat naps throughout the day, equaling less than two hours some days.  We get him home by 5 and then he is about to lose his mind tired.  If we put him to bed at that time, he has trouble over night.  At home, we follow the 2, 3, 4 schedule pretty well.  He goes right back down after his 5a feed and we start the 2, 3, 4 after his next wake and he takes two decent naps and is in bed by 7 or 7:30.  I'm really just mostly concerned for his health due to lack of sleep.  I also notice he has stopped being able to self soothe very well here lately.  I'm just hunting for advice, if anyone has any or has any experience with this.  Thanks so much!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Daycare question

• Options
    My little one hardly naps at all during the day. Well at home he does, at daycare its a different story.  I think because there's so much going on...he doesn't want to miss a thing!  I haven't asked the pediatrician about how important naps are...but as long as he's getting some shut eye I'm not too worried.  EX: at home, he'll take two 2 hour naps.  At daycare, he'll nap 30 min, 15 min, 1 hour throughout the day.
  • Options
    Hi, I'm not sure how much help this is, but my LO is useless at naps at home never mind daycare! She cat naps, or on good days we get two 45minute naps in. She has only just (6months) started sleeping well at night, but I would say she is ahead in terms of milestones and definitely dexterity etc. so I'm not too worried.

It's worth noting that around this time babies need slightly less sleep than before (still important!) but how they get it (cat naps vs longer naps) can change as they are so interested in what's going on around them. Self-soothing may also be coincidence as they are more aware of you leaving the room and want you there with them.

Sleep is hard. You're doing a great job! Perhaps you could speak to the daycare about your concerns? Request they pop them somewhere quieter or in a swing etc so they have more chance of a longer nap? Or you could pop them down as soon as you get there when I guess there may be less children so again less chance of being woken early?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks guys!! That really helps...makes me feel much better!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Could you put LO to bed any earlier so he can at least catch up at night?  Although if you have a long commute, that may not be an option...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"