Multiples
Options

What to pack???

I'm struggling with what to pack for the hospital! Obviously, I want something comfortable and cool. I don't want to be too warm in the hospital, so I was thinking of a matching short or capri pajamas. I'm not planning to BF, so I don't need a nursing top.  I also don't want to spend too much $$ on something because I'm afraid I will just bleed all over it (??).  What are you packing - any specific suggestions?  DH wants me to pack my hospital bag, and I've got nothing!  Thank you! :)

**** Ticker Warning ****

Me: 37, DH: 38 Married since 2005, TTC since 2007

IVF#1 February 2013 - 6R, 4M, 3F - transferred 2 day 3; 1 frozen - BFN

IVF#2 May 2013 - Menopur, Follistim, Ganirilex - 16R, 13M - freeze all eggs due to MFI 0% Motility day of retreival

FET September 2013 - 9 eggs thawed, 0 fertilized :( transferred frostie from IVF #1 - Estrace & PIO - BFN

**Change RE**

January 2014 - IVF #3 (Lucky #3?!)  ER 2/5/14 19R, 16M, 11F with PICSI.

2/10/14 Transferred 2 AA day 5 blasts <3<3, 5 Frozen - Estrace & Endometrim (which IMO is worse than PIO!!)

Beta 2/24/14 Beta #1: 2229, Beta #2: 3577 BFP!!

6 week u/s - TWO heartbeats <3

EDD 10/30/14

***** All Welcome *******

Re: What to pack???

• Options
    With my singleton I just lived in the attractive hosptial gowns... but this time since I will probably be there longer I plan to bring jammies. I think I will go with a knee length nightgown at first (they do blood clot checks a few times and I don't need to worry about taking off pants for that) and then switch to shorts or capris. Anything that goes on my lower body will be black in case of leaks. ;) I am not going to worry about underwear as I rather rely on the mesh ones they provide. I'm bringing my flip flops to wear in the shower and walking about. I'll bring travel bottles of my favorite toiletries and a decent towel. Hair ties, makeup in case I feel like it, chap stick..... Cardigan in case it is chilly.... Phone, iPad, camera and charging stuff. Mints.... And a white noise machine. Heh
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I wouldn't bother bringing any nice clothes unless you go on bedrest. Just something you will be comfortable in and won't mind bleeding on. If you want to use your own underwear, assume they will get blood leaks on them. 

What I would focus on primarily is having a bag together in case you need to go on last minute bed rest. I wasn't diagnosed with pre-e until 34w, and didn't go on bed rest until 35w, but when I did, I was suddenly rushed to the hospital with almost no warning and couldn't leave until delivery. I would recommend having at least a couple of your own comfortable tops, underwear, and pj pants "in case of bed rest" in your bag. I didn't think to grab those, and the hospital was far enough that I didn't want my partner driving to and from it too often, so I ended up washing my only shirt and few pairs of underpants in my hospital shower... ain't too proud to say so. Bed rest sucks ass and I did not want to wear gowns for two weeks straight. Also, an activity if you aren't the sort of person who can watch tv 24/7... books, crochet, sketch pad, anything to pass time. Your own shampoo/conditioner/lotion if you're not big on the hospital products. Toothbrush and paste. Hair brush. OMFG a hair brush. I about lost my mind the first four days with no hair brush. Deodorant. 

If you manage to dodge the bed rest bullet, seriously, all I would recommend is something to wear home for you, at least a couple of sizes of clothes for your little ones (i.e. two newborn sleepers, two 0-3mo sleepers), a camera (if you happen to want a better quality camera than one on your phone), minimal toiletries, and blankets for the babies. Everything else will be excess. The hospital will have diapers, formula samples, wipes, binkies, pads, etc. 
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Glasses or contacts. Don't be an idiot like me and not be able to see your kids born because you neglected these thinking they would be unecessary at a routine appointment (ended up being admitted. No bag packed)

I also wanted saline spray for my nose. I was on oxygen and combined with the dry hospital air, I was miserable.

Besides clothes to go home in and a robe to cover the gown for visiting babies in icu, I did not need much. The hospital provided the essentials.

IVF #1 Sep '11 - canceled poor response

IVF #2 Nov '11  8R/8M/4F 3dt x2 - chemical

IVF #3 April '12  11R/6M/4F 3dt x2 - m/c

FET #1 Aug 2012  3dt x2 - BFN

**new RE**

IVF #4 Jan '13 BFN 11R/6M/6F 5dt x2 - BFN

IVF #5 July '13 16R/10M/10F 5dt x2 + 1 frostie

9dp5dt Beta 1 = 344!! 16dp5dt. Beta 2 = 4822 7wk u/s= 2 heartbeats!

Twin girls! 3/6/14

• Options
    A robe and slippers

D & L are here at 34 weeks 4 days by vaginal and breech delivery on 11/19/2013
    Two healthy boys weighing 4 lbs 15 ozs and 4 lbs 5 ozs.  Only 6 days in the NICU and getting bigger, stronger and cuter every day! 
  • Options
    Clothes aren't that important, really. Pack toiletries and shower shoes.

W both my labor/deliveries I didn't have a bag packed. I had time after my water broke w my singleton to throw some things together but not w the twins.

H just went home and packed a bag after the fact. No big deal.

I avoided pants for a couple days and used the hospital's mesh underwear. Bc I had a c/s w the twins, I did wear clothes at the end and I preferred those gaucho-style pants that were popular 8-9 years ago that I still have.

• Options
    I'm just bringing toiletries, clothes for the wee ones for home, and a change of clothes for me. I might think about a robe as someone above mentioned.
  • Options
    Helpful thread.  34 weeks tomorrow and have begun packing due to pre-e concerns.  Also want to add to list is journal with pen/pencil to jot down thoughts, etc.  One of my twins is on IUGR borderline diagnosis and is TINY so we packed her preemie clothes.  Doubt she will be bigger than 4 lbs for a long time...  We packed preemie for both babies but lots more for the tinier pumpkin.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    12bailey1812bailey18 member
    edited September 2014
    I'm only bringing a going home outfit for me. I plan on wearing the hospital gowns and a cute hospital gown that my friend gave me when I had my DD. I'm skipping the toiletries because I'm not picky with what the hospital provides. I am bringing a light robe and my comfy flip flops, as well as my makeup because I'm vain like that. :P camera and phone/chargers and snacks (mostly for DH) as well. Definitely a journal too! I like to record the birth story while it's still fresh.
  • Options
    oh no, sorry for the long response...I compiled lists from the internet and came up with this:

The Hospital Bag Packing List
    CLOTHESYoga pants and long/nursing tops (I wore my maternity yoga pants under the ugly hospital gowns, I didn't wear the nursing tops, but we left within 48 hours after delivery :| HMO care ftw)Socks (put on on the way out)Black and grey maternity dress to wear home (yup)Robe (wore it a lot over the open back hospital gown when guests came)Warm, comfortable socks/slippers that can be thrown out without hesitation (didn't use)Flip flops for shower (FORGOT to use, GROSSSSSS)Nursing Bras (yes thank god)Underwear (didn't need these, used the hospital ones until we checked out. so one pair for when you leave is good)PHARMACYNon giant pads - like regular sized (i actually appreciated the hospital ones and didnt use the pads i brought)Lotion and Chapstick (YES)Mints (YES)Deoderant, toothbrush, flosser [ ] (YES)toothpaste, hair ties, headbands, hairbrush (YES)Lanolin nipple cream (YES)Breast pads/nursing pads (didn't need them, milk came in a week later)Industrial-strength cover up makeup (yes for guests)ENTERTAINMENT/COMFORTComfort food/snacks/drinks for your husband (yes, and I snuck some too before they let me eat finally)Camera and charger (yes)Pen and paper (yes - for taking down notes and times of poops, etc)iPad (didn't really use)Blanket or throw: For husband (yes thank goodness)Towel and washcloth (the red ones we have) (yes!!! There was NO towel in the hospital room shower!! WTF)Pillow from home with not-so-great pillowcase and protective cover (didn't use)Extension cord (smart!! we were able to plug in all of our phones AND have the phones near us)Cell Phone and Phone charger (yes)Laptop, laptop plug in (I ended up leaving mine home)Roll of toilet paper (didn't need this)Nursing pillow (bring but leave in car) (didn't end up bringing mine)Baby book: To record baby’s footprints and vital statistics (length, weight, time of arrival, SAT scores, etc.). (didn't have time to use this)FOR BABIESOnesies, going home outfits (bahahaha brought some, they were WAY TOO BIG)Preemie outfits in case of NICU time (had these but they didn't need nicu time, and they were not good for the car seats because they didn't have individual legs)Bring gerber sleepers that have full length arms, individual legs, and zip up - those will be the easiest to bring everyone home in in car seats. other than that, the hospital will just swaddle the little ones for you. Little Hats - we used these to tell the girls apart - the hospital only had a few that were all the same. Baby nail clippers - no needBaby mittens - way too big on them, didn't use till laterBaby Socks - No.Pacifiers - YESBottles - Didn't use these, hospital provided
    (thank you OP for inspiring a blog post!!!)
    ********************************************************************************************
    Married my best friend, June 8, 2008

5/17/13 BFP!!! 6/6/13 - OMG its TWINS!

Josie and Lexie were born on January 4, 2014 at 37w2d
    Josie was 5lbs2oz, Lexie was 4lbs15oz 
    Both had a 9 APGAR score with no NICU time
    Planned unscheduled C-Section due to both being breech
    We all went home on Jan 6th, 2 days after surgery

My popular blog posts:

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    Wishing35Wishing35 member
    edited September 2014
    I packed gigantic underwear that would pull up over my c section , a few pairs of pajama pants and big t shirts and a few nursing bras. I did pack some hair and makeup items that where a complete waste they did not get used, basic toiletries are all you need. I brought flip flops and the hospital had those non slip socks I just used theirs if needed.Definitely pack a phone charger , we did in advance and I'm glad because we wound up going in as an emergency. I say keep it simple you can always have someone bring you anything else you might need later.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thank you - these are GREAT tips!! So far we have two new toothbrushes and some toothpaste :) I love the ideas though!

**** Ticker Warning ****

Me: 37, DH: 38 Married since 2005, TTC since 2007

IVF#1 February 2013 - 6R, 4M, 3F - transferred 2 day 3; 1 frozen - BFN

IVF#2 May 2013 - Menopur, Follistim, Ganirilex - 16R, 13M - freeze all eggs due to MFI 0% Motility day of retreival

FET September 2013 - 9 eggs thawed, 0 fertilized :( transferred frostie from IVF #1 - Estrace & PIO - BFN

**Change RE**

January 2014 - IVF #3 (Lucky #3?!)  ER 2/5/14 19R, 16M, 11F with PICSI.

2/10/14 Transferred 2 AA day 5 blasts <3<3, 5 Frozen - Estrace & Endometrim (which IMO is worse than PIO!!)

Beta 2/24/14 Beta #1: 2229, Beta #2: 3577 BFP!!

6 week u/s - TWO heartbeats <3

EDD 10/30/14

***** All Welcome *******

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"