Baby Names

How do you pronounce Josie?

BeachBum678BeachBum678 member
edited September 2014 in Baby Names

Jo-zee or Jo-see?

I've always said Jo-zee, like Rosie with a J. It never even occurred to me that you COULD say it the other way. But I've heard two different people use the second pronunciation this week, and it got me wondering how everyone else sees this name.

Oh, and FTR my DH and I just call our daughter Josephine (or sometimes Miss J. :-*) No formal nickname at all.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: How do you pronounce Josie?

• Jo-see
    But I also pronounce Rosie like Ro-see rather than Ro-zee

mm 2/17/11 * dd born 4/20/12 * bo 1/3/14 * edd 1/211/15 

• Jo-see, and I pronounce Rosie as Ro-zee

• Loading the player...
  • Joe see
    Row zee

No periods due to 17 years of ballet and distance running after college.  Zero response to 2 months of Clomid, little response to Letrozole.  IUI left with 9 cysts = too many viable eggs due to age.  On to IVF.  Low dose of all meds still produced 37 mature eggs 12.6.11.  Froze due to overstimulation.  

FET #1.1 1.22.12 BFN.   FET #1.2 2.22.12=GRACE! (and a vanishing twin).  

Grace Katherine born 10.25.12 @ 36w6w 6#14oz 19.5".
    FET #1.3 3.2013 BFN FET#1.4 4.2013 BFN. Never tried a fresh transfer.  Let's try, despite 10 still frozen.  
    ER 6.26.13 27 mature eggs, slight overstim. ET   7.1.13 ectopic, FET 2.1  9.10.14   TRIPLETS!!  

Boys born 3.18.14 @ 29w5d.  Andrew Jack 3#6oz 16", Grant Robert 3#9oz 16", Charles Phillip 3#7oz 17".

• I pronounce it with a z sound.

Adorable daughter, btw.
  • I pronounce it with a z sound.

Adorable daughter, btw.
    Aww, thanks!

Pregnancy Ticker

• With a z.

Reminds me of an acquaintance who was appalled that some people called her son Jo-zeph instead of Jo-seph. It never would have occurred to me to hear a distinction
  • I mostly say Joe zee, but I did notice the difference recently when I heard Michele Duggar referencing her youngest "Joe see".  Either way, its a slight difference.  I would attribute the variance more to regional dialect than anything else.
  • I pronounce it JO-see. The only Josie I know is my friend's daughter, and her name is actually Josephine. I guess the "s" sound carried over to Josie from her full name, in that case? 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    1/2015 November Siggy Challenge - Thanksgiving Fails
  • S for me
    FKA mimi4347: diaper rash magician and unofficial expert on excrement
    photo fdcd1f14-730b-4ea3-9fd5-37c8a5575512_zps6b3ccb11.jpgphoto a71807cf-a0c7-4c71-807b-bc4577b61b83_zps4eece2a6.jpg
    This kid may not have a lot of bowel, but he has plenty of guts! 
    DS born at 34 weeks with (surprise!) gastroschisis turned short bowel syndrome.
    131 days in the NICU, 7 trips to the OR, G-button, daily TPN....
    We are impatiently awaiting the day we can say goodbye to his girlfriend Ivy for good.
  • Both. There was also a question about Loisa and rather it was s or z. Maybe something is wrong with me but I hear it easily both ways and say it both ways just depending on how fast I am saying it. Faster gets the z. It doesn't bother me at all and I like both pronounciations. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I pronounce is Jo-zee.  I'm not a fan.  Remember that Drew Berrymore movie? Never been kissed I think. "I'm not Josie-grossie anymore! I'm not josie-grossie anymore!"
  • allthecheeseallthecheese member
    edited September 2014
    I'd say it with an s but it can sound kinda like zed. But dint line how it sounds when people are intending to pronounce it as a zed.

@MauiBliss‌ zed!? Canadian, eh!? :))
    Displaying _20140730_065450.JPG Z0EY
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Jo-see

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

BFP #2:12/18/14 EDD: 8/27/14 Beta #1 (16 DPO): 50 Beta #2 (18 DPO): 54 CP: 12/25/14 at 5w0d

Names | Blog | Chart

Formally LisaG09

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

• MauiBliss said:
    j&jNY said:
    I'd say it with an s but it can sound kinda like zed. But dint line how it sounds when people are intending to pronounce it as a zed. @MauiBliss‌ zed!? Canadian, eh!? :))
    No. Born in Germany to a French/British mother. 
    so the british would say Zed????
  • Jo-see, and I pronounce Rosie as Ro-zee
    This.
  • Joe-see. I really dislike Joe-zee which I've heard sometimes. The sounds grates on me.

I'm actually the exact opposite of this. Love Jo-zee, hate Jo-see.

Pregnancy Ticker

• We have a Josephine, NN Josie as well. 

I say it with the "Z" sound, but I have some relatives that say Joe-see.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Z for me.
  • Jo-See, but I don't think either is incorrect.
  • Joe-see & Roe-zee
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • allthecheeseallthecheese member
    edited September 2014
    MauiBliss said:

j&jNY said:

MauiBliss said:

j&jNY said:

I'd say it with an s but it can sound kinda like zed. But dint line how it sounds when people are intending to pronounce it as a zed.

@MauiBliss‌ zed!? Canadian, eh!? :))

No. Born in Germany to a French/British mother. 

so the british would say Zed????

Um...yeah. The Canadians did not, in fact, invent it. I'm confused why this is shockingly new information. It's a Commonwealth English thing.

I'm not actually in shock or anything. Lol I'm Canadian so I say zed. It was a duh moment for me catching on that Canada got it from Britain.

ETA: because I know next to nothing about Britain. Or any country besides north America
  • I work with a girl named Josie...she pronounces it Jo-see.  

~*~
    Together since 03/27/2007
    Married 07/20/2013

BFP #1 01/18/2014, EDD 09/26/2014, Team Green
    DD born 09/21/2014

image image 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"