Natural Birth
Options

How do I ask to re-do my initial consent forms?

Back in March when DH and I first visited my OB/GYN's office, they explained a bunch of things and gave us a bunch of papers to sign.  I hadn't done much research yet, my BFP had only happened a week and a half before so things were still kind of sinking in.  I signed consent to have all the usual interventions you are trying to avoid with a natural birth (vacuum extractor, forceps, episiotomy, etc)  because I was just thinking then "I just want them to do whatever's necessary to get the baby out safely"  

Fast forward to 32 weeks, I'm now planning to have a med-free birth, and those forms have been weighing on my mind.  I am planning on taking my hospital's birth plan checklist form with me when I give birth, but I'd really like to tear those forms up and re-do them.  I'm afraid of creating animosity with my care providers, and it doesn't help that I see a different doctor every time I'm there.  Thoughts/help/advice?
CafeMom Tickers

N14 January Siggy Challenge - What Sucks About Work

Re: How do I ask to re-do my initial consent forms?

• Options
    You certainly could ask your provider about the forms and what his/her thoughts are on using different interventions.  IDK that you can avoid signing something similar as sometimes they are required consent forms for both the hospital and provider (thanks to a litigious society!).  Speaking from experience- I was able to go med free, but ended out needing a vacuum assist after pushing for 4 hours.  Yes- it goes against all of the ideal practices for natural birth, but it was the best option for us during my labor and delivery and it kept me from having to have a c-section.  I've never look back and feel like I didn't have a "natural" birth because I had to have a little extra help at the end.  I think it is equally important that you are educated about the many options and what ifs that can come up so you and your partner are ready to make an informed decision if/when needed. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I find it odd that they would have you sign procedural consent forms so far in advance.  I know my hospital does not accept consent forms older than 1 month for surgery.  I don't remember my Ob having me sign any consent forms in the office.  I think since it's been so long, it would be very reasonable for you to ask to review the forms again- cross off what you don't agree with and initial and date it.  Then if it turns out you do need an intervention, they'll just have you sign a new consent form.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think these forms are a cover-your-butt type situation more than anything else.  I signed similar forms at my first appointment at the freestanding birth center where I delivered my daughter.  They didn't even have many of the interventions (ie. vacuum, forceps, c-section) that I consented to!  I felt that it was mostly a case of "if this becomes necessary".

BFP#2:  EDD 2/11/14, MMC confirmed 7/15/13 (growth stopped at 6 weeks), D&C @ 12 weeks 7/25/13

• Options
    This is tough.  In a way signing a consent form is giving them consent to do it, but they would also likely discuss it with you first.  But you should talk to your doctor about your concerns.  I actually didn't sign a damn thing when I went to give birth since my son came early and I didn't have my appointment to do all of that until a week after he was born.  They had nothing on me, not even consent to deliver, until about 4 hours after delivery! 

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    Back in March when DH and I first visited my OB/GYN's office, they explained a bunch of things and gave us a bunch of papers to sign.  I hadn't done much research yet, my BFP had only happened a week and a half before so things were still kind of sinking in.  I signed consent to have all the usual interventions you are trying to avoid with a natural birth (vacuum extractor, forceps, episiotomy, etc)  because I was just thinking then "I just want them to do whatever's necessary to get the baby out safely"  

Fast forward to 32 weeks, I'm now planning to have a med-free birth, and those forms have been weighing on my mind.  I am planning on taking my hospital's birth plan checklist form with me when I give birth, but I'd really like to tear those forms up and re-do them.  I'm afraid of creating animosity with my care providers, and it doesn't help that I see a different doctor every time I'm there.  Thoughts/help/advice?
    The key word here is necessary.  Obviously no one hopes to have a vacuum delivery or an episiotomy done, but if it becomes necessary for your baby's safety, don't you want those options on the table?  At some point, you will need to trust your care provider's judgment if complications arise.

Those forms are mostly CYA.  Your doctor should discuss everything with you if it becomes needed during your delivery.  I don't think there is any need to go back and look at old forms you signed.   I would just talk to your doctor at the next appt about what you would like for your delivery and go from there.  You always have the right to say no to something during birth, even if you signed a bunch of forms.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, you've all helped me feel much better about this. I've never been hospitalized before or gone any farther than the ER as a patient so I was feeling a little overwhelmed.  Plus some of the natural childbirth books I've read - while great resources for many things - seem a little paranoid about the medical model of childbirth and I think I caught some of that.
    CafeMom Tickers

N14 January Siggy Challenge - What Sucks About Work

• Options
    Thanks ladies, you've all helped me feel much better about this. I've never been hospitalized before or gone any farther than the ER as a patient so I was feeling a little overwhelmed.  Plus some of the natural childbirth books I've read - while great resources for many things - seem a little paranoid about the medical model of childbirth and I think I caught some of that.
    Yeah, unfortunately a lot of NB stuff goes too far in demonizing doctors and hospitals. I had never been hospitalized before I had my first baby either and it can definitely seem overwhelming.  But most doctors are really trying to do the best they can by their patients.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

iris427 said:

The key word here is necessary.  Obviously no one hopes to have a vacuum delivery or an episiotomy done, but if it becomes necessary for your baby's safety, don't you want those options on the table?  At some point, you will need to trust your care provider's judgment if complications arise.

Those forms are mostly CYA.  Your doctor should discuss everything with you if it becomes needed during your delivery.  I don't think there is any need to go back and look at old forms you signed.   I would just talk to your doctor at the next appt about what you would like for your delivery and go from there.  You always have the right to say no to something during birth, even if you signed a bunch of forms.
    While I agree that you should be able to discuss these things during your delivery, you might not get the chance.  I was given an episiotomy without being asked (and without any medication epidural or local).  It was never a choice.

I would talk to as many doctors as you come across to get their opinions on these different labor assists.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I haven't read PPs. I had a true emergency c/s with DD and they got my verbal consent while the were running me down the hall on a gurney. If something arises, they can get your consent then if they really need to. I am very surprised they have ppl consent in writing to who knows what at your first appt. if they are worried about valid consent, that is not the way to get it (uninformed). Tell your doc at your next appt "I'd like to revoke my consent(s)" and take time to consider them and sign what you want.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"