October 2014 Moms

Best carrier for newborn?

How young will you put the baby in a carrier? I have the infant insert and the ergo ( never used it with my other 2) just curious what age to start wearing baby or if there was a better one to use the first few weeks? Thanks!
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Best carrier for newborn?

• TinyTRex321TinyTRex321 member
    edited September 2014
    I have a boba 3G that can be converted to use with a newborn. I also have a boba wrap I will use this time around. I think 8 lbs is the soonest you can use either.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a Moby wrap. I think dd1 was a month before I started wearing her but she was a tiny premie. Some find the Moby to be difficult because there are several ways to tie it but it got easy and quick to me with practice. I wore her EVERYWHERE! I thought it was fun. Lol
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a ring sling and the Ergo with newborn insert for this time around
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image              image
  • I will wear baby from the start in both my woven wrap and ring sling. The ergo can be used from 8lbs, I believe, with the insert but it wouldn't be my first choice. It doesn't give the best support and it's really hot and bulky. I would get a Moby or similar for the newborn period if you aren't looking to invest in a woven or ring sling.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Moby and use it from day 1 at home. After the first several weeks I switch to the Ergo.

@lurkernomore2, check out Youtube for some good videos showing how to put on the Moby. That's what helped me get the hang of it!
    BabyFruit Ticker 
    Married 8/09 to my love
    Our little shamrocks:
    M~4/11   W~12/12   E~due 10/14

• At the beginning I'll use my Moby again, I LOVE that thing! Then I plan to move to my Ergo - I didn't use it much for my first but I know I'll need to baby-wear a whole lot more this time around.

Ditto watching a video on the Moby, that helped me get the hang of it quickly.
    p+c 11.6.04  |  +g  2.4.11
     image image
  • DD didn't like the Ergo until about six months so we didn't really use the infant insert. I bought a k'atan and ring sling for the newborn stage. I will start wearing the baby right away.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• I have a Baby K-tan and love it because it is similar to the Moby, but already pre-wrapped for you.  I plan to use it pretty much as soon as we are back home and mobile.  Once she has neck control I am going to switch to the Baby Balboa sling with was amazing with DS.  It is so easy to just pop the baby in there quickly for an errand without having to get out the stroller.  I also have the Ergo which was great once DS was around 4 months old.

;

• Ergo with insert here! I have a moby, but prefer the ergo.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love my Moby wrap for the NB stage. I hated the infant insert for the Ergo (so did both the boys). The ergo I started using around 3/4 months and loved. I also have a Maya Wrap ring sling that is great for all ages (still use it for DS#2, hip carry).
    Jonathan Jeremy~12/02/2010,  BFP#2~M/C @ 11wks 4 days,  BFP #3~CP @ 4 wks 3 days,  
    Simon Randall~01/29/2013, Grayson Paul~10/03/2014
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Oct'14 January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails 

• I had a ring sling with DD and she hated it, so it killed baby wearing for me until we got the Ergo when she was about 6-7 months. The Ergo is easy to put on but I agree with PP who said it gets hot and a little uncomfortable after awhile.

DH came home with a cheapo Infantino carrier that sort of resembles what the Ergo looks like, but I'm not super confident how well it will work. I'm planning on trying either the K'tan or Moby this time around, but I am nervous about any carriers that have a complicated wrapping/tying method. I get frustrated easily, obviously...
    8-|

image         image

• @lurkernomore2‌ I remember doing the newborn hug and hug hold. I may have tried the hip once but I always prefer baby on my front. It takes practice but you get the hang of it!! I would just practice at home and next thing you know I'm whippin the thing out in the grocery store parking lot like its nothing! :)
  • I won a boba wrap on eBay and I just looked up how to do the newborn wrap on YouTube..seems a bit complicated, but not too bad. I've read the boba is better than the moby because the boba is stretchier and therefore has more give making it not as difficult figuring out how tight to wrap it....who knows though as I have zero experience with either.
    BabyFetus Ticker} Mom to 3 with one on the way. EDD 10/04/14
  • I won a tula from a giveaway on Facebook! I can't wait to use it. I will probably use a Moby wrap at first tho, because tula says 15lbs and up without the infant insert, and I've heard only bad things about the insert.
  • Moby wrap 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• I have a ring sling, Moby, and ergo with infant insert. I only used ring slings with Nat so I will let you know how the other two go!

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I don't have any real experience baby wearing. I didn't buy a carrier to use with DS1 and then tried one with DS2 but he hated it. I have a K'tan for the early days, and I'm hoping to use it right away. Then a mei tei and Ergo for later on. I reallllllly hope she likes being worn... these things are expensive!
    DS1 8/11/10 
    DS2 8/21/12
    DD 9/26/14
    Baby #4 edd 2/11/19 
  • We plan on using a moby for our LO as a newborn...and an ergo when she is big enough. We aren't going to be buying an infant insert for the ergo, the moby looks cozier and more "womb-like".
    ~First time mama, strikingly handsome husband, comedic pooch, krumpin' baby girl on her way~

• Moby to Ergo is the plan. DH and I both are looking forward to baby wearing so if those don't work we will sell/trade for something different.

• Love my ergo. Used the insert when DS was an infant.

• wraps! we will start with either a moby or a (wishing) sollybabywrap!
  • What about BabyBjorn carriers
  • We started using the k'tan right away with B and will do the same with this one. I switched over to the ergo at around 3 months.
    image image
    Bennett Andrew- 6/4/13      Nora Elizabeth - 10/3/14
  • I used my moby by at the hospital with DD#3 right at 24 hours post c-section. I will take that but also have 2 ring slings and multiple wovens I can use. I've never been an Ergo fan... It fits me funky :-?
    Me - J.R. - 05/1986
    DH - J.I. - 08/1986
    Married - 09/22/2006
    DD#1 - A.E. - 12/15/2009
    DD#2 - N.R. - 11/07/2011
    DD#3 - S.R. - 05/20/2013
      DS - R.E. - 10/03/2014

Absolutely in love with our 'big' family!

I'm also a proud Auntie to a crazy little girl, her brand new baby sister, a little man on his way in the next month, and a sweet little mister we will miss forever!!!
  • I have two sleepy wraps (now the Boba wrap) that I'll start using right away.  I didn't think it was hard to wrap with my first and I've had a few mom friends who had both the moby and sleepy/boba say that they thought the sleepy/boba was easier to use b/c it had a little give.  I think with everything baby related- you get used to what you have and find a way to make it work.  Boba has some great videos on their site and it took me like 5 min to figure it out the first time.

I'll switch to our Ergo at some point once he's bigger.

I'm debating getting a woven, too, but we'll see.  At this point, my first step will be to confirm that the kid likes being worn.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've also got a Moby (second hand), an Ergo with insert (insert was second hand) and a ring sling.  I expect I'll use the Moby most and H will use the Ergo.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"