Natural Birth

The Death of a Baby

My family and I are reeling today after the loss of my 1-day-old cousin. He was born in a hospital on September 2nd, and died September 3rd due to unknown causes, at which point his body was sent off for autopsy. Results are in, and it turns out he was perfectly healthy with no problems except that he had an extremely high amount of morphine in his body at the time of his death.

Since the autopsy, we've found out that the mother was given morphine during labor on top of her epidural, and she and the baby had a reaction to it. She was rushed for an emergency C-section, and afterward the baby was given no anti-opiate medication to counteract the effects of the morphine. He was also not sent to the NICU. He died later that night, still in the hospital, in his basinet while his mother slept.

I'm 20 weeks pregnant, planning a home birth with a midwife. I've often heard stories about negligence and unnecessary interventions/whatnot in hospitals, but this is one of those things you think will never happen to you or yours until it does. As I sit here, knowing that the baby's body is currently being sent off to a lab in Atlanta for criminal investigation, I can't help being overwhelmed with paralyzing fear. Fear of being transferred, fear of my baby dying, and as I think these selfish thoughts, I have an overwhelming sense of guilt. How can I think of my own baby at a time like this!?

I can't help but wonder how I could protect my own baby in the event that I have to transfer. It seems strange that I've developed such a phobia of going to the hospital to give birth, when most women have the opposite fear and wonder how on earth any sane person could give birth at home. I have no idea how to react, or what to say, and now I have to decide if I can put on my black dress and go up there to this funeral and see that dead baby, and carry that image to my own birth. But how can I not? No one would ever understand.

imageimage

Re: The Death of a Baby

• I spoke to my midwife about it, via text. Her first reaction was general disgust in the negligence of the hospital/staff. She said he should've been in the NICU, and he should've been given drugs to reverse the effect of the morphine.

We are meeting on the 12th and I'm sure she'll have words for me, but in the meantime it feels like walking in some kind of nightmare.

imageimage
  • I understand on some level how you feel. Just reading your story makes me think about all of the awful things that happen to good people all the time and I know I'm not immune. 

The main thing to remember is that all life choices come with some risk, and home birth is definitely not risk free. We all just make the best decisions we can given the information we have. Please try to heal and not make birth decisions based in fear. Sometimes we get great closure from funeral services and you will be able to heal past this. I am so sorry for your loss.

As far as morphine is concerned, it is never forced on the mother as an intervention that I know of but every hospital is different. If you opt for an epidural you will likely have the morphine drip hooked up. You have to press a button for it to be administered though and many women never do press it while some press it constantly. In the case of an emergency c-section I think Morphine is usually given after the baby is out or added to the spinal if you consent. I would not be concerned about this in particular but I understand you are lumping it in with other interventions that frighten you. I am so sad for your family's loss and I will be thinking of you and your sister in law. >>hugs<<
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sure you would be able to attend the wake without having to see the body. There may not be a work around with the funeral though. You could always call the home and ask the details without mentioning it to the family. Again, I'm so sorry.
  • I'm so sorry for you and your family.  How awful for your aunt and how scary for you!

I'm sure you realize this, but nothing your aunt did or didn't do caused this tragedy.  You can take comfort in knowing that cases like this are exceedingly rare and most moms and babies make it through birth just fine.  I think a big part of labor, no matter what type of birth you are planning, is the understanding that things might not go as planned and nothing you do will change that.  And, at least in my mind, there's little use in worrying about something you can't change.  I know it doesn't make it easier, though.

BFP#2:  EDD 2/11/14, MMC confirmed 7/15/13 (growth stopped at 6 weeks), D&C @ 12 weeks 7/25/13

• I'm so sorry, that is awful.  IV narcotics in labor make me nervous for this reason--I remember when I worked in L&D and it seemed like every time a mom got one, they had to tell her she couldn't have a second dose because it was depressing her baby's heart rate too much.  It sounds like a serious medical error happened here.  Epidurals tend to be safer.

Maybe you might feel better if you tour the hospital that you would transfer to if it became necessary.  Usually tours are led by a nurse who works in L&D, and maybe you can talk to him/her about your concerns and how pain medication is handled there.  

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • iris427 said:
    I'm so sorry, that is awful.  IV narcotics in labor make me nervous for this reason--I remember when I worked in L&D and it seemed like every time a mom got one, they had to tell her she couldn't have a second dose because it was depressing her baby's heart rate too much.  It sounds like a serious medical error happened here.  Epidurals tend to be safer.

Maybe you might feel better if you tour the hospital that you would transfer to if it became necessary.  Usually tours are led by a nurse who works in L&D, and maybe you can talk to him/her about your concerns and how pain medication is handled there.  
    Yes, I agree.  I don't have iris427's nursing experience, but my research during my first PG lead me to the conclusion that an epidural would be an option for me if I needed/wanted one, but IV narcotics would not be.  Based on everything I read, very little to no medication makes it from the epidural to the baby while this is not true for IV meds.

BFP#2:  EDD 2/11/14, MMC confirmed 7/15/13 (growth stopped at 6 weeks), D&C @ 12 weeks 7/25/13

• lisagde said:

iris427 said:

I'm so sorry, that is awful.  IV narcotics in labor make me nervous for this reason--I remember when I worked in L&D and it seemed like every time a mom got one, they had to tell her she couldn't have a second dose because it was depressing her baby's heart rate too much.  It sounds like a serious medical error happened here.  Epidurals tend to be safer.

Yes, I agree.  I don't have iris427's nursing experience, but my research during my first PG lead me to the conclusion that an epidural would be an option for me if I needed/wanted one, but IV narcotics would not be.  Based on everything I read, very little to no medication makes it from the epidural to the baby while this is not true for IV meds.

I'm not a nurse or any kind of medical professional. I don't want to misrepresent myself. :)

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am so sorry formyour loss and I totally agree with PP that your concerns and thoughts at this time for your own baby are valid. The key that I tell every mother who asks me is to research EVERYTHING that can happen in or out of the hospital. There's a book called The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth that I found very informative. Lots of times you may not be told what you are being given (sometimes even why) so don't be afraid to ask and insist you know every single thing that happens to you. Hiring an experienced doula can help with this. My friend was actually given narcotics first when she was in labor and her daughter had a horrible reaction. They had to flush them from her system before they could offer the epidural. She had really bad back labor and no natural coping techniques so she was sick, miserable, in pain, and her daughter was in distress during the whole process. Why they even offer them to women is beyond me. If you need medicated pain management epidurals are generally safe for the baby. YOU may have some side effects but they are usually pretty mild. Just be educated and have a good team on your side.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• I'm so very sorry or your family's loss. How devastating, and something that could have been treated or remedied. So, so sorry. I know it can be a lot to wrestle with, especially during a pregnancy. I understand being fearful of caregiver negligence. It indeed happens. Sadly I've come across all sorts of late term/birth and neonatal loss stories in various support forums. :( It's really heartbreaking.

I listened to some Hypnobabies scripts during my last pregnancy, and you can buy some on the site that can help with fear and anxiety. They help me when I get anxious or in a mood.

(((hugs)))
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• So sorry!  My heart is breaking for you and your family.  My parents lost their first child after birth (he had a number of medical issues/complications) and even with a "reason" they still struggle 40 years later.

I think the best thing you can do is educate yourself.  Ina May's child birth book is very empowering and informative.  There also are a number of great resources out there that offer evidence based information.  As other ladies have said, you will be faced with a number of decisions during your pregnancy, labor, and after and the best thing you can do is arm yourself with as much information as possible so you can make an informed decision.  I also think that using a MW will help you to have a drug free/lower intervention birth as they tend to be more supportive of a "natural" process and letting a woman's body follow a natural pathway to giving birth.  Definitely keep your MW in the loop about your fears as she will be able to answer questions and point you to additional resources as you prepare for your own birth experience.  Finally, have you considered hiring a doula?  It might be something to look into if you feel like you want another person present to advocate for you during your birth. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • So sorry for your family's loss!

Something to keep in mind: some people have genetic mutations that result in higher levels of opioids being transferred to the baby. These mutations are more common than you might think but are easily tested for (look up pharmacogenetic testing). They can also lead to increased side effects or decreased response to meds.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"