Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

XP from BMB: Pediatric Neurology appt/ EI consult

Hello all, I posted this in my BMB as well, but I figured I may get a wider range of ages and more answers here.

So we were referred to a Pediatric Neurologist due to macrocephaly.  Yes, DS has a huge melon! lol.  Thankfully everything checked out fine, they measured mine and DH head and it was determined that we both are up there in the big head category. So we won't be needing an MRI or anything along those lines.  The Dr checked all of his milestones, which DS blew through with flying colors.  They did puzzles, stacked blocks, flash cards, went over body parts, fine motor activities and other fun things.  DS did have a small break down when puzzle time was over, the joys of toddler temper tantrums. 

The only concerns that I had, was that DS does head bang when he gets frustrated, which the DR assured me is very common, especially in boys, and the behavior peaks at 18months.  The other concern is his lack of words.  He says 10-15 words consistently (momma, dada, gigi, Mya, doggy, kitty, car, hot, yumm, uh oh, up, elmo, truck, tank ku", He also can make multiple animal noises, but i'm not counting those as words. The only two words he combines are "tank ku", and "byebye + a name".

Anyway, the doctor didn't seem too concerned and recommended we get his hearing checked, and then a possible consult for EI.  I am curious if anyone has any experience with this?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

BFP#1 -3/18/12- M/C 3/31/12,
BFP#2 -4/25/12, Beta#1 17dpo= 800, Beta#2 20dpo= 3800, Ethan James born 1-5-13

BFP#3- February 2015- natural miscarriage

BFP#4- June 2015- Ruptured ectopic, severe hemorrhage and loss of left tube on 7/10/2015

BFP#5- 12/18/15

Re: XP from BMB: Pediatric Neurology appt/ EI consult

• Options
    10- 15 words at 18 months is pretty decent.  I'm not sure why you aren't counting animal sounds.  Your pediatrician would as would a speech pathologist.  And combining 2 words at 18 months is also great.  Most kids start that closer to 2.  Does your son imitate words?  Does he attempt to "sing or "read" along with you?  Does he respond to simple commands?  

For reference my DD has been diagnosed with Childhood Apraxia of Speech.  At 18 months she said her first word (dada).  She had no animal sounds.  She added mama around 20 months.  I think he sounds fine.  I'm always on the cautious side when people ask speech questions about their LOs and I honestly think you have nothing to worry about.  
  • Options
    Ditto what others said.  my son had 5 words and 6 animal sounds at 18m.  His word explosion didn't happen until recently.  Now at almost 22m, he is learning 3-4 words a day.  He also *just* started putting 2 words together. 
    TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When my son was 18 months I don't know that he even had 15 consistent words. He might have had 10 plus about 5 or 6 animal sounds. I was slightly worried but his pediatrician said not to worry. He's now 20 months and his language as seriously exploded over the last month or so. It is insane. He probably has 50 words at least and seems to have new ones every day. For example, yesterday the new word was "play" and today it was "tortilla" (well, you know. close to tortilla!). He's also started to use two word sentences, like "get down" instead of just "down."

Long story short, I don't think you need to worry yet! :-)
  • Options
    FWIW, DS has 15-20 words, with probably 10-15 used consistently. He also has a number of animal sounds but definitely is not at the point yet where he's putting two words together. We're still stuck in the phase of doing a lot of pointing and whining. We just had DS's 18m check-up last week and the doctor wasn't concerned in the slightest. He sounds right on track!

Little T Born 2/26/13
    TTC #2 since August 2014
    BFP #2: 4/15/15 * EDD: 12/19/15 * MMC: 5/7/15
    BFP #3: 7/23/15 * EDD: 3/29/16

• Options
    That's way more words then mine had at 18 months. He's got 15-20 now at 20 months. Pretty sure he's finally starting his "language explosion," and seems to add a word a day. I was really worried and kept debating if I should call to get an EI consult, but just decided to wait and see if that language explosion would finally come. After hearing from some others that their kids didn't have it until closer to 20 months, I decided to give him a little more time…and BAM. It's finally happening. 

If calling will make you feel better, by all means go ahead. It can't hurt! Two of my nieces are working with EI for speech and physical therapy and they have had wonderful experiences. They come to their house for therapy sessions. You pay on a sliding scale based on income. And the therapists are awesome. 
    Married November 2009 ~ Sam is here! (12/26/12)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Animal sounds count if that's how he consistently refers to the animal. (So instead of saying dog, he'll point to one and call it a woof woof.) 

He sounds on par developmentally and it's incredibly difficult to get EI under 2, but if would make you feel better then good luck! 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Thanks everyone, I thought he was right on track as well.  When I addressed his speech, I somewhat expected the neurologist to tell me he was where he needed to be. I was fairly surprised when he suggested a hearing test, and was concerned that he isn't putting 2 words together or asking for things.  He will point when he wants things? I will tell him, "use your big boy words, do you want milk?" but if he doesn't say it, I certainly can't withhold it from him.

P.S He did not count animal sounds as words. (woof woof, meow, quack, roar)

BFP#1 -3/18/12- M/C 3/31/12,
    BFP#2 -4/25/12, Beta#1 17dpo= 800, Beta#2 20dpo= 3800, Ethan James born 1-5-13

BFP#3- February 2015- natural miscarriage

BFP#4- June 2015- Ruptured ectopic, severe hemorrhage and loss of left tube on 7/10/2015

BFP#5- 12/18/15

• Options
    EI here won't even test until 2 or older for speech. A hearing test is no big deal. If you think he has problems then go for the hearing test. I think he sounds like normal kid. In the next few months he'll probably learn a few word every week.
  • Options
    kcwnckcwnc member
    edited September 2014
    We just had and EI assessment for my son at 15 months because he had about 5 words at 13 months and then stopped using them. But because he indicates what he wants with pointing and understands much of what we ask him he didn't qualify. Also, they did a full spectrum development assessment so it was nice to see that he was doing well in other areas. They said that if he shows no improvement by 18 months they can come out again. They also gave us great tips to encourage his language skills and us a list of SLPs in the area should we want to pursue that outside of their services. I do agree with previous posts that your son sounds like he's doing amazing!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"