August 2013 Moms

Constant questions about walking

Is anyone else sick of getting asked about LOs walking?  DS isn't walking yet and I'm not worried at all since he's nowhere near the age where it's a concern yet.  But since he turned one, everyone constantly asks about it.  After I answer no, some people even feel the need to reassure me that it's ok or to make predictions about how he'll start in a week/month/whatever.  My mom is the worst about it.  She asks almost on a daily basis over the phone and repeatedly asks what the pediatrician says about it (nothing, because I have no reason to call my pediatrician about a kid not walking at exactly 12 months).  When we were over there last weekend, she kept telling him to walk in a playful but sort of commanding tone.  'Walk!  Come on!  Walk to grandma! Walk!"  Leave the kid alone.  He'll do it when he's ready. He's still working on not being scared of standing unsupported. And I'm enjoying not having to chase him yet thankyouverymuch.  Her latest thing is predicting that since he was a preemie, he will definitely walk on his due date September 10th, since that's when he's REALLY 12 months. Ugh.  Not looking forward to the phone conversation that day.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Constant questions about walking

• G is one of the older babies and still not walking. He's barely even walking with one hand, he's scared to let go. I'm in no rush, although sometimes I wish he would just walk so i don't have to carry him from the car to the house.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• My MIL is the same way. I'm not worried and neither is our pediatrician. DD will walk 8-10 steps at home all the time, but doesn't like to around my parents. So, naturally they don't believe me when I says she walks.

image  image 

BFP #1 11/26/2012, EDD 8/7/2013, Elise Anne born 8/1/2013
    BFP #2 8/21/2014, EDD 4/11/2015, M/C 9w5d, D&C 9/17/2014
  • Loading the player...
  • DD1 didn't walk until 15 months, so those questions were fun. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • DS just started walking last weekend. Just like when he learned how to crawl, one day it just clicked and he started doing it. He's still mostly crawling, but if he's already standing, he will walk to you. The question about whether or not he was walking annoyed me as much as the sleeping question.
  • etc35173 said:
    A did start early so I didn't get that as much but I think all babies are ahead in some areas and "behind" in others.  Not really behind (I hate that phrasing) but just not quite as ahead if that makes sense.  We get it with other things like talking, eating and sleeping (I think the new "walking" is the old "are they STTN?" ) I think your responses are great, I love to point out the things that A excels at as well when responding.  

"No, I think he has been so focused on learning to X that he just isn't that interested in Y yet." 
    This is the same for us. Jax was a really early walker, but now my mom's focusing on his talking. Asking if he's said anything new and "reassuring me" it's okay. Uh, thanks mom, because I totally need  reassurance? Umm.. no thanks. Oh and since his 1 year wellness visit yesterday, she's already asked twice about what the doctor said about his talking. Usually when a baby focuses on talking, the walking comes later and vice versa. Leave our babies alone people, please. Kthnx. 

Babies be like...

• My LO isn't walking yet either and I'm quite okay with that. I have a feeling that once he starts walking he is going to be hard to keep up with!
  • DS just started waking, but he has yet to crawl. A few weeks ago we would get the waking question, followed by "well he must be crawling?!?" Nope. My child is lazy. He normally just sits. I am not worried because he is just at the bottom of the curve for normal developmental milestones.

I just respond that I prefer him immobile. Makes my day easier.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ugh yes!! By my MIL. . She says that I'm lazy because I'm not "training" her to walk.
    She doesn't NEED training she will catch up eventually! Everything is fine.
  • Mlc10811 said:

azzy1206 said:

Ugh yes!! By my MIL. . She says that I'm lazy because I'm not "training" her to walk.
    She doesn't NEED training she will catch up eventually! Everything is fine.

This would be my response to your MIL:

GIFSoup

Hahaha I love this!
    Seriously if I could I would!
  • Yes. It's annoying. I want to say "myob", but I usually say "he isn't ready yet".
    Married DH <3 : 7/7/12; 3 fur babies (2 dogs and 1 cat)
    DS born 9/3/13; DD born 7/22/15; LO due 5/28/18
    FS (age 5) and FD (age 2) to become AS/AD very soon!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"