January 2015 Moms
Options

Too Early?

Is it too early to pack a bag for the hospital or should I wait? I don't want to seem like I'm over doing it by having a bag packed already.

Re: Too Early?

• Options
    You can never be too prepared!!
  • Options
    I did it last time around 36 weeks, but I guess if you don't need the clothes and things for the next 4 months, it doesn't hurt to be prepared early.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Most of the stuff I'm bringing is stuff I still use, so it would be too early for me. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I'm working on my bag, last time I delivered early and had nothing prepared. My husband shopping for nursing bras at Target is not something I want a second time around!
    5 IUIs and an IVF
    It's all worth it for Baby Boy, born 9/30/13!
    What do you know, Baby Girl just popped up! Due 1/2/15
  • Options
    Like the PPs said, you'll probably want the clothes. But, IMO, it never hurts to prepare early and get started. I'd rather get a bag packed months early than rely on the random assortment of things/clothes that my husband threw together when I was hospitalized early with DS1.
  • Options
    I think it's too early.  I'd wait until you were 34-36 weeks.

mm 2/17/11 * dd born 4/20/12 * bo 1/3/14 * edd 1/211/15 

• Options
    Thanks all for the advice.. I think I may wait a few more weeks. I'm 22 else now so I'll do it around 30-35 maybe..
  • Options
    For me personally, it's WAYYY to early! But being prepared is not a bad thing. Do it now if that's what you want to do and more power to ya!

Pregnancy TickerimageBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options
    nah82nah82 member
    edited September 2014
    I haven't even dug the pajamas I will be taking out of the maternity clothes tote yet or ordered any new nursing tanks.  I won't be packing up for awhile, maybe around 32 weeks.  I have had short labors that have gotten progressively shorter, live 45 minutes away from my hospital (plus account for bad roads in January), and have to drop my kids off with my parents when the time comes, so I will definitely need to be prepared in advance.  I like to go and get sample sizes of my favorite toiletries to take along (shower gel, shampoo/conditioner, deodorant, toothpaste, etc.), so if you do that, you could pack those now and not have to worry about forgetting your deodorant at the last minute.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Wait, I need a bag packed?
    +1

The other day during the take home outfit talk I actually said out loud to myself "I have to bring a baby home?" :/

No seriously. Too early for a bag for me. I suppose I should research WTF we are "supposed" to even pack in a hospital bag.  I likely won't wait until 36 weeks, though. But not yet.
    (Zoe Claire- born at 33.6 weeks- November 19, '14 - 5lbs 15oz)
  • Options
    I'm 22 weeks. I'm just starting to think about what to pack. I know there are lists out there so I'll find one in the next few weeks and then start thinking about it. Probably wont have anything "packed" until after 30 weeks, though. 
  • Options
    I have packed 2 things in my bag so far.  I will be throwing in deodorant tonight. So far I have fuzzy socks and a cell phone charger.  
    Me: 34    DH: 28.  Married Jan 2012.  Started TTC Jan 2014.  Got our first BFP April 28th. Baby Boy Born: December 24 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Grow! photo leela_grow.gif
  • Options
    Way too early. Focus your energy on getting the nursery ready or buying baby clothes instead. The fun stuff.

You can always find one of those lists of what to pack and start getting an idea of what you'll need if your anxious.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I packed my over time starting at about 34 or 35 weeks. There were certain things I wanted and needed to buy so I bought it over time.
    I also had a list on top of my bag that I wanted, like makeup, curling iron, blow dryer ect that way when I went into labor. My husband just packed the rest.

• Options
    I packed my bag both times the night before I was scheduled to be induced and will do the same this time. I usually like to be overly prepared, but with my luck and scattered pregnancy brain, I'd probably forget where I put the bag that was packed or thought I had everything the first time and end up forgetting socks or camera.
  • Options
    It's definitely too early for me. I don't remember when I packed last time, but I know I didn't bring a lot and it was still more than I needed to bring. I'll probably wait until 36-38 weeks but will make a list before that so DH knows what to pack, just in case!

• Options
    I would say it's never too early, but yeah, it seems too early. I packed my bag when I decided that the contractions weren't going to stop and it was time to go to the hospital. Most things were easy, it's not THAT hard to pack for the hospital. We live literally three minutes from the hospital, so god forbid I forget anything like, Idunno, underwear, FI could easily go back and get it for me. ALSO, many items were things I use every day so it wouldn't be practical to pack them ahead of time, like deodorant, soap, my pillow, etc. Of course, I think 14 years in the military taught the art of the "quick pack."
    OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    No harm in having one packed now, but you'll have some things you'll need to toss in last minute regardless.  I don't think you'll need to put your camera and baby clothes in there yet!

imageimage

"Beanie" Natural 7w MC 11/21/12

"Nole" stopped growing at 7w3d D&E 2/11/13

Diagnosed with MTHFR and Factor V Leiden on 4/3/13

Due with RAINBOW GIRL 2/10/15

• Options
    I'd make a list of the things you want to pack, but not necessarily pack them. If you're going to buy travel toiletries to take with pack those and any clothes for the baby or nipple cream and bfing pillow if you're planning on bfing, My clothes, camera, chargers etc. we're all things I was using until delivery (except for a nursing cami) so I couldn't really pack them. Pre-preg clothes will most likely not fit, I took yoga pants, a nursing tank, and zip-up hoodie to wear home.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I packed my over time starting at about 34 or 35 weeks. There were certain things I wanted and needed to buy so I bought it over time. I also had a list on top of my bag that I wanted, like makeup, curling iron, blow dryer ect that way when I went into labor. My husband just packed the rest.
    makeup?  curling iron?  blow dryer?  Wow!  I was thinking: comfy pjs, change of clothes to wear home and my comb.  LOL
    BFP #1 09/26/2013 EDD 06/04/2013 MMC 11/01/2013
    BFP #2 05/15/2014 EDD 01/24/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Lol.. I barely used anything I packed, and it was a last minute quick pack job before going to the hospital once contractions started.  All I cared about once I was actually in the hospital was the change of clothes I brought.... didn't care about anything else.  I waited to take a real shower or anything until I got home...was way too tired and overwhelmed in the hospital to make any real effort.  Bring travel size care products and toss them in a bag, doesn't take long to prepare.

You really don't need as much as you think you do.  Hospital provides many basic things too.

Change of clothes for you, change of clothes for the baby, carseat... those are all the most important things.  Any extra is just that -- extra.  It'll vary for everyone.

Cat leg goes crazy and beats itself in the face

image  image
  • Options
    I don't even have a bag. I think ill pack some donuts for sure. What kind of bags are people going to use? I'm thinking a diaper bag and a bag pack.
    I used a duffle bag so that it fit my boppy too.

• Options
    I don't even have a bag. I think ill pack some donuts for sure. What kind of bags are people going to use? I'm thinking a diaper bag and a bag pack.
    Maybe not donuts, but you'd better believe I'm packing food. 

• Options
    As others have said, I'd wait to pack. In fact, I'm going to wait until 34-36 weeks. I have waaaay too much to do before then. Plus, my warm pants are put away ATM since it's 90* here. It would take too much effort!

BFP #1: 4/2/12 -- DD born 12/15/12. BFP #2: 4/1/14 -- CP. BFP #3: 4/28/14 -- EDD 1/10/15

Jan 15  NOV siggy challenge: 

• Options
    peggels24 said:
    I packed my over time starting at about 34 or 35 weeks. There were certain things I wanted and needed to buy so I bought it over time. I also had a list on top of my bag that I wanted, like makeup, curling iron, blow dryer ect that way when I went into labor. My husband just packed the rest.
    makeup?  curling iron?  blow dryer?  Wow!  I was thinking: comfy pjs, change of clothes to wear home and my comb.  LOL
    + chocolate, and we're good to go.
    I don't even wear makeup outside of a hospital, let alone after birth.. haha.

(Zoe Claire- born at 33.6 weeks- November 19, '14 - 5lbs 15oz)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"