Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

do toddlers need rainboots??

OK so I bumped up a level because I figured you guys have probably been through this debate already...So I fell in love with these cute fireman rainboots that match my almost-2-year-old's rainjacket. He wears a size 7 now, but I thought maybe I should size up to an 8 so they'll last through the spring, since it's the kind of item I know we won't get too many wears out of anyways. But then it seems silly if he's pretty much swimming in them for now... So what did you guys do? We do like to go outside a lot in all seasons, but how much of a necessity are rainboots anyways?

Re: do toddlers need rainboots??

• Options
    I think rainboots are one of the least necessary things.  I guess it depends on your life.  I almost never had them as a kid.  I wore flip flops for warm rains, had occasional wet feet for unexpected torrential rains, and wore snow boots for cold rains.  I never played in the rain if it was cold, and if it wasn't, it was fun to go barefoot or with open toes.  Maybe if you go to some kind of outdoor focused daycare or something, you would need them.  We go to a weekly outdoor playgroup that has a policy of playing through the rain, but it's always very stormy if it is raining so we haven't tried going when it is raining yet.  I feel like rainboots are already a bit hard to walk in, so I wouldn't go too large.  Maybe you could find a good used pair.  It seems fun to me to get rain gear, but it's just not worth it to me for a few days where it would be appropriate.  To note, M often steps into puddles, wadding pools, fountains, etc. with her regular shoes on...we never plan it and she has a couple pairs, so we just let that pair dry and all is good.
  • Options
    My ds had rain boots & wore them a ton. I bought them a size bigger but he got a ton of use out of them.
    He also had snow boots. We live in Oklahoma & weather is crazy here sometimes.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We live in Washington state where it rains a ton but it never gets so cold that we have to stay inside, so my dd used rain boots a lot last year and will get a new pair this year. It probably just depends on how much it rains where you are.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We got a hand-me-down pair of rain boots for DD back in the Spring and she's worn them so much that I just bought her the next size up. However, we have gotten a TON of rain storms here and DD takes walks every day w/DH and the dog so she uses them pretty regularly. Her only other shoes are flip flops or canvas shoes, both of which are less than ideal for taking long walks in the rain. It sounds like you might not have as much cause to use them, though, which makes me think that they really aren't necessary for you.

But then, I'm the type who will pick something up just to try it out (assuming it's a reasonable cost) so if I was you I might grab them and see how much use I got out of them - and I would just think of it as a learning experience for the future :) If you do, though, I say get the size up and double up on socks if you have to until he grows into them.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I buy them large in the fall and use them as snow boots by also purchasing a fleece liner. Then come Spring they usually fit so she can wear them as just rain boots. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    When rain boots are a bit big they stay on toddler feet better if you put a pair of robeez type slippers on then put the boots on. 

• Options

It probably depends on where you live.  If there is a lot of rain, and your LO agrees to changing footwear, then maybe go for it.  I don't buy my kids a ton of footwear since their feet grow so fast and DS is fussy when he gets new shoes.  They both have a daily pair of shoes and DD has a nicer pair that can go with dresses to church.  That's about it. 

• Options
    I'm team toddler rain boots, though I guess it really depends on the climate where you live. We live on the west coast and wear them fall through spring (he's already worn them a few times!) -- otherwise we'd be stuck inside for weeks on end. Plus what toddler doesn't love puddle jumping??
    They're also something I don't mind buying used, and you can get them cheap at WalMart.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"