March 2015 Moms
Options

Anyone on Medicaid?

I am going to have to quit my job to move where my boyfriend lives before I have the baby and I will lose my insurance. I was thinking about getting on Medicaid but I hear they will just drop you if your pregnancy turns high risk. Also does anyone know the qualifications to be on Medicaid?

Re: Anyone on Medicaid?

• Options
    Um. They don't drop you if you turn high risk that is just ridiculous. Only thing I can tell you is to look up the qualifications for the state you live in to ser if you qualify. They should have a list of qualifications in the website.
    BFP - 6/28.....Unofficial(waiting on u/s) EDD - 3/9

image    image

July Siggy Challenge. Summer Fail. March 2015 Group
    baby development
  • Options
    I'm not on it, but a lot of my patients are. I "think" it varies from state to state, but a large part of qualification is income based. I have never heard of medicaid dropping someone for a high risk pregnancy. Good luck to you with your move, and I'm sure someone will have more concrete answers for you. You can always try to google "medicaid qualifications for ____ state".
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My coworker is on Medicaid. She was considered high risk before getting medicaid. And she said everything is covered which is great since she has been in the ER atleast once a week. Call them or get more info from them to see what can actually be offered to you.
  • Options
    I tried looking it up online and it didn't list qualifications. It did say it may not cover high risk pregnancies. Someone told me they got dropped two months before having their baby so I wondered if this has happened to anyone else.
  • Options
    There is no way high risk would have been the cause (I honestly don't think they can do that). It could have been due to changes in qualifications. A lot of it is based financially.
    BFP - 6/28.....Unofficial(waiting on u/s) EDD - 3/9

image    image

July Siggy Challenge. Summer Fail. March 2015 Group
    baby development
  • Options
    I am not on Medicaid but I work in health insurance and deal with the government programs often. It really does vary state by state but with health care reform there are no pre-ex clauses anymore. With state based exchanges as well some states require ladies who are pregnant to switch from the Medicaid plan to the state exchange and get the subsidy for it. It can be extremely complicated depending on the state laws and if that state follows the federal exchange or their own state exchange.

My recommendation would be to talk to the Medicaid department in the state and also reach out to the navigators who help enroll and decide on state exchange eligibility.
  • Options
    I'm in Texas. Seems pretty complicated. I guess I'll have to talk to someone in person.
  • Options
    Texas has some of the most complicated eligibility laws in the country for health insurance (no lie). I definitely recommend chatting with someone about your options. Also remember the COBRA option if you work for an employer with more then
  • Options
    I am pregnant and high risk and have Medicaid
  • Options
    Also I live in Delaware though
  • Options
    With Obamacare you can find a plan that charged based on your income. If you have none I believe each state has free options. When I had my son (pre Obamacare) I was on Minnesota Assistance which is the state Medicaid. It's completely income based. Now I am on some other state insurance that I don't pay for, it just has a different name. Although I'm only on it until my probation period at work ends then I have insurance through work. I didn't even want to bother with the state provided insurance since I have such a short period of time between employer insurances, but you are rquired to have insurance now so I had no choice. My clinic wouldn't let me Pay put of pocket for the one appointment I will have during this time.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    Every state is different @albentley42‌ , but in DE you will have to provide proof of pregnancy from your doctor and a month worth of paystubs. If you have no job, I'm not positive how that is taken care of. But be forewarned, the process is quite lengthy, you have to go into the offices if you want anything up be done more expedient - it took me three weeks to a month to get approved while in between jobs - and that put me behind with my appts.
  • Options
    @albentley42‌ we live in Texas and I'm on pregnancy medicaid because of a similar situation. they never asked any questions about high risk or low risk when determining eligibility and I haven't heard anything about losing medicaid because of high risk ever. I would def recommend talking to someone when applying, but I wouldn't worry about it. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"