Pregnant after a Loss
Options

My Rainbow is here!! Callie's birth story (esmith10)

Sorry I am so delayed in finally getting this birth story out! It's been a crazy couple of weeks.

Short version: Caroline (Callie) Marie was born on 8/20 at 3:25am via c-section. 8lbs 11oz and 21 inches long. We're all doing very well.

Long Version: I'll start by saying that the only thing from my birth plan that actually went according to plan was the only thing that mattered: we had a healthy, happy baby at the end of it:

Monday: 8/18--Checked into the hospital at 7am and was induced using cytotec around 8:30am. Started contracting regularly, but after being monitored for the majority of the day there was no progress and I was still only 1cm/50% effaced/-2 position. So I went home around 4pm. At home we ordered dinner, and once it arrived I felt nauseous, got the chills and started shaking like crazy. Called the Doc, she said it wasn't a big deal and to take tylenol and try to get some sleep before going in the next morning again to continue the induction. Woke up the next morning and contractions had completely stopped.

Tuesday 8/19--Same routine: arrived at 7am, cytotec placed somewhere around 8:30am. Contracted regularly, a little stronger this time, but when the doc checked after 2 hours I was only 1.5cm but the doctor felt that my cervix was soft enough to break my water, so she did. Contractions before my water breaking were 4-5 minutes apart, once it was broken, they were coming fast at 2-3 minutes apart and started to become intense. Still, I was very slow to dialate: maybe 1cm ever 2-3 hours. Around 5pm I finally asked for an epi, and it was placed and kicked in quickly. I felt pretty good for a while, and around 9pm decided I would try to get some sleep. The nurses had their shift change, I was in and out of consciousness, and things began to go downhill.

They started a low dose of pitocin, which I was hoping to avoid, but told the doc I was okay with a low dose. I also started to develop a fever, and was given tylenol to help with it. Slept for a while, and while I slept my pitocin was upped (i'm not sure how quickly) to a 6. My catheter started hurting like crazy, they repositioned it, and then I realized the reason it was bothering me was because I was still feeling contractions--just very low and milder than before but still uncomfortable. To make matters worse, my temp was unaffected by the tylenol and was still high so I was put on an antibiotic. Baby's heartrate up until this point was having beautiful accels/decels the entire time, but now was starting to remain flat and the baseline was getting faster and faster (at one point was in the 170's). I was checked and went from 4cm-7cm and the doctor, while concerned about the baby's heartrate, didn't want to do a c-section just as I was starting to really progress. So they turned off the pitocin and baby's condition improved as did my comfort level.

I fell back asleep, and the next thing I knew pitocin was back on and we were encountering the same problems (baby's high heart rate with no accels/decels). My fever was still high and I was feeling strong contractions and was finally starting to feel pressure near my tailbone and was feeling the urge to poop. I was checked, and was only 8cm/100% effaced but still only at -1 position. At this point, the doc made the call to get the baby out via c-section and she began getting her team together.

It felt like forever waiting to go to the OR, and when they finally rolled me in I started shaking like crazy. They got me prepped, my husband came in and held my hand. It felt like they were working forever while I was waiting to hear her cry. Then, finally, the anesthesiologist who was sitting next to MH said "Dad, if you aren't queasy, stand up and watch you daughter be born." and then a few seconds later I heard some strong, loud cries. I've never felt such a massive sense of relief in my life! MH went over and was with her while the doctor checked her out. She peed right away and grabbed the doctor's stethoscope, and then my husband's finger. After she was out, the shaking got worse and I suddenly felt cold and super tired. Turns out my blood pressure dropped significantly, which resulted in me being in "recovery" for about 2 hours before I was able to see my daughter. She was sent to the nursery for blood tests, a culture, and to get an IV with antibiotics due to my fever in labor. They thought I might have developed a uterine infection during labor, which was causing the fever, and they feared I may have passed the infection on to her. Her culture came back negative, thank God. I still have no idea what caused my fever, and it finally broke my second night in the hospital.

When they finally brought her into my room, she was crying until she heard my voice and then stopped right away. I was so taken with how beautiful and perfect she was! We're all home now, happy and healthy. She scored a 9 on the apgar, even with all the drama in her delivery! We are so in love with our little girl.

Ladies, thanks for all the support you've offered during these 10 months. Being PgAL was so hard, and even though I thought my worries would go away once I reached the second tri, had the a/s, felt her move, etc. I never stopped worrying until I heard her first cries. It was so great to have a community like this to reach out to when I was having my bad days. Also, big thank you to my labor buddy, @Lingchow8655! Best of luck with all of your pregnancies!
TTC Since July 2013
BFP #1 8/8/13, EDD 4/16/14
MMC discovered on 9/18/13 @ 10w, baby measuring 9w. D&C on 9/26/13

BFP #2 12/7/13
, EDD 8/12/13. It's a girl!
Caroline Marie born 8/20/14. 8lbs 11oz, 21 inches and perfect!

Re: My Rainbow is here!! Callie's birth story (esmith10)

• Options
    Congratulations!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC since Sept 2011, Unexplained IF
    Oct 12 - Jan 14: 3 clomid/TI cycles, 2 hysteroscopies, 2 IUIs, 1 BFP (MMC @ 12w), 2 more IUIs
    Feb 14: Gonal-f + IUI #5 = BFP! (EDD 11/4/14)
    Baby boy arrived 11/13/14!

• Options
    Congrats so happy everything turned out great! Enjoy that sweet baby girl!
    ***ticker warning*** DS 3/27/12 born 6 weeks early....my perfect boy !! Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers [url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lb1f.lilypie.com/z5R8p1.png[/img][/url] image<a href="http://www.thebump.com/?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Congrats!!!
    Baby GIRL born 12/11/14!!
    MC @ 8 wks 7/6/13 - ectopic @ 6 wks 12/28/13

In loving memory of sweet baby HP, and all our angel babies. Forever in our hearts.image 

• Options
    Congrats!!!

BFP#1 4/17/2013 EDD 12/25/2013, MC 5/17/2013 8 weeks 3 days D&C 5/18/2013

BFP#2 1/20/2014 EDD 9/28/2014, Baby Evie born on 9/23/2014 at 8:50pm.  6 lbs 15 oz!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    Congratulations!!
  • Options
    Congratulations! So happy for you!!
  • Options
    Congratulations! I'm glad that both you and baby are okay. Sounds like it was pretty scary for awhile. 
    DH diagnosed with testicular cancer 6/04/10
    Married DH 8/1/11
    7/21/13 SA poor morphology/ low count
    BFP #1 11/18/13, EDD 7/22/14 
    MC Blighted Ovum 12/4/13 @ 7wks
    BFP #2 8/21/14, EDD 5/1/15 

All Welcome
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Congratulations!!
    Began trying for a baby January 2012
    BFP 4.25.2013  EDD 1.3.2014  MMC 6.3.2013  D&C 6.19.2013
    BFP 11.3.2013  CP 11.6.2013
    BFP 3.31.2014 EDD 12.10.2014 Baby boy Carlson born 12.19.2014 
  • Options
    Congrats momma!
    photo e9455f4d-9751-469e-a19f-460104cd2e5c.jpg photo jan15.jpg
    BFP #1 5/20/10 Natural MC at 5w4d 5/28/10
    BFP #2 11/3/10; BO at u/s 10w6d 12/16/10; Natural MC 1/7/11; D&C 4/21/11
    BFP #3 10/27/11 Please stick, LO!! 2/6/12 It's a Girl! Alexis Grace born 6/29/12
    BFP#4 4/27/14 Stick, stick, stick!! 8/11/14 It's a Boy! Evan Wesley born 1/8/15
    "Patience is waiting. Not passively waiting. That is laziness. But to keep going when the going is hard and slow, that is patience."  Let it Be (blog)My BFP Charts
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    This time I'm not leaving without you.
  • Options
    Congratulations!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"