October 2014 Moms
Options

I'm just Curious what you ladies think...

I wish I knew how the make a clicky poll but I'm not very Bump-savvy.
This is not about me as I am waiting till baby decides they want to come out!

I know everyone has their reasoning for being induced, AND IM NOT KNOCKING INDUCTION! I'm just curious on what you ladies think...

Baby and mom are completely healthy. Not over 40 weeks.
Would you ask to be induced/go thru induction if you were still completely closed? Not dialated, still had mucus plug and all?

Discuss...

Re: I'm just Curious what you ladies think...

• Options
    I got induced with my second one at 38 weeks because of his size he was 9 pounds but completely healthy
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not unless there was a medical reason. I was induced with both my kids. The first time I was one day past due and they found my fluid was low. The second time my ds was big and we were afraid he would get too big for a safe delivery. In the end he was too big and I had a c-section.
  • Options
    Most the time they won't just induce unless their is another reason
  • Options
    I wish I wasn't facing induction. I have to deliver right before my due date because of medical reasons. I do see some correlation between some inductions leading to c sections when the body is not ready but at the end of the day I'm gonna do what I got to do to get this baby here safe and sound.
  • Options
    Not unless there was a medical reason for me as well. We induced DD2 early because I was diagnosed with a debilitating autoimmune and we were unsure of the effect of my flare up on my baby nor the effect of the baby on my flare up.
  • Options
    Emerald27Emerald27 member
    edited August 2014
    Nope nope and nope.

I want baby to come when he is ready. Spontaneous labor is best for baby. Gestation can vary woman to woman and pregnancy to pregnancy by up to five weeks.* The last few weeks are so important for brain development. Barring placenta deterioration, I would prefer NOT to be induced.

Pitocin is also no fun at all! I've done it once, at 37 weeks with DS, and at the time I wasn't dilated at all. My chart said "cervix unfavorable" ...

My midwives have a policy of allowing no more than 11 days past your due date, and I'm really hoping to avoid induction this time.

* https://m.bbc.com/news/health-23594668
    imageimage
  • Options
    Nope. The scenario you described sounds like inducing for convenience, which does actually happen all the time. Count me out.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    AargAarg member
    Of course for medical reasons, if baby is to big, ect. I totally understand.
    When this baby was born she only measured 7lbs2oz and 20in.

What if I told you that her doctor (HER DOCTOR) asked her if she wanted to be induced because it happened to be the weekend her family was in town?
  • Options
    Aarg said:

What if I told you that her doctor (HER DOCTOR) asked her if she wanted to be induced because it happened to be the weekend her family was in town?
    Exactly. This happens way too often, IMHO.

imageimageimage
  • Options

Unfortunately, this does happen all the time. Many many doctors will schedule elective inductions and even elective cesareans beginning at 39 weeks. It's really sad.

There are even some OBs nowadays who ONLY perform cesareans, so if you don't want to schedule your birth on your doc's clock, find another practitioner. :(
    imageimage
  • Options
    If it's not due to health reasons, there's no reason for an induction at that stage.  According to the ACOG, a woman is not post-term until 42 weeks.  I wouldn't have a problem with extra monitoring--perhaps twice a week NSTs or BPPs or something like that, but an induction at 40 weeks absent other concerns or health issues especially when the body doesn't seem ready for birth sounds like the person might as well just consent for the elective c-section right off the bat.

• Options
    If we were both completely healthy? Nope. I would rather go to 42 weeks than be induced early especially if I hadnt even made it to 40 weeks yet.

I also don't agree with unnecessary csections.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm the UO here. Yes, I'd induce. I've already discussed with my doctor that I want to be induced ON my due date if he isn't here before then. I could have requested an induction as early as 39 weeks but figured I'd at least give him time to get here. My reasons are completely selfish and rooted in fear. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
    Proud First-Time Mommy From Memphis, TN!
    *My Favorite Thing To Do: Laugh Until I Cry*
    I can't wait to meet my Kenyan-Bajan-American sweet pea.
  • Options
    AargAarg member

What classifies as a big baby?? My SO was 10 pound 12 ounces when he was born... no C/s and 42 weeks.

GOOD ON YOU LADY!! Big thumbs up from me!
  • Options
    AargAarg member

Aarg said:

WHAT?

::goes to look up ACOG guidelines::

Is she over 39 weeks? 
    Under 39 weeks is a clear no:
    https://www.acog.org/About-ACOG/News-Room/News-Releases/2013/Early-Deliveries-Without-Medical-Indications

I can't see the other recommendations without having a login. 

But for me, the answer would be a clear NO.

I consider myself very, very, very fortunate to have been able to deliver DD vaginally when I was induced at 38.5w with her -- due to pre-eclampsia.  I don't know my exact bishop score, but it was not favorable -- I was at a 1cm even after 7 hrs on Pit until my OB broke my water (a last ditch effort to get things going before a C-section was called -- thankfully it worked). 

~~~
    Oh, and a "big baby" is not a reason for an early induction per the ACOG guidelines.  Maternal issues like pre-eclampsia or fetal issues like IUGR are.

39w1d...

• Options
    Justabean3Justabean3 member
    edited August 2014

I'm the UO here. Yes, I'd induce. I've already discussed with my doctor that I want to be induced ON my due date if he isn't here before then. I could have requested an induction as early as 39 weeks but figured I'd at least give him time to get here. My reasons are completely selfish and rooted in fear. 

Fear of what? I was induced but I was 41.5 weeks. He was still just 7 pounds 2oz
  • Options
    Nope. Likelihood of being successful would be low and lead to an exhausted mama having a c section due to unproductive labor.

Married 10/06

Baby Girl "C" arrived on 10/07/14 (39 weeks, 6 days)

• Options
    I was induced at 42 weeks with DD (the hospital was super busy and it kept getting put off) and 41.5 weeks with DS. Both labours were in the hospital bed hooked up to machines etc. This time, I really hope I can go into labour on my own and be able to labour at home for the first bit. Where I live, the general practice is to induce at 40 weeks + 10 days but I'm going to try and see if they will let me go longer. If there was a good medical reason then I would agree to an induction earlier.
  • Options
    I was pretty lucky with my first. My water broke at home and by the time I got to the hospital I was dilated to 5. I received an epi and did real well with my labor. My son was 7lb 11oz at 39 weeks 4 days. As far as the induction goes I would not want to be I don't think but I am not going to say what I would do for sure until the time comes. I think it would totally depend on the circumstances at the time. I would want to do what was best for me and my baby.
  • Options
    A definite no, like almost everyone else has said. My midwife gave me a sheet of paper outlining their official policy not to induce before 39 weeks unless medically indicated, and I think I gave her a bit of a look... a WHY-would-I-kick-my-baby-out-before-she's-ready look.

I'm sensitive to this issue because preterm birth is so scary to me. My son was 11 days early and I'm afraid every day I'll have this baby too soon. I don't want anything to happen that will jeopardize her ability to thrive during her first hours/days/weeks on earth. Not being induced is a no brainer.
    Me: 31  ~  Copilot: 37  ~  Our son: 3/25/11 ~ Our daughter: 10/5/14
  • Options

What classifies as a big baby?? My Son was 10 pound 12 ounces when he was born... no C/s and 42 weeks.

Edit: auto correct changed son to SO!

My son was 9 lbs 12 oz and it wasn't so much his weight that was a concern as much as it was his head and shoulder size. It turned out his head wouldn't fit in the birth canal so a c section was necessary. The nurses were shocked at his head and shoulder measurements when he was born.
  • Options
    What classifies as a big baby?? My Son was 10 pound 12 ounces when he was born... no C/s and 42 weeks. Edit: auto correct changed son to SO!
    ACOG guidelines state that fetal macrosomia (big baby) where a c-section would be indicated is 11+ lbs in a regular pregnancy, and about 9+ lbs in a pregnancy where the mother has GD.

• Options
    11days early is not pre term
  • Options

I can appreciate your honesty here. I actually fear having a full term baby since both of my girls arrived just before 35 weeks but I'm still gonna hang in for 40 or however long of course. I'll probably stress myself into labor before I hit 40 anyway lol
  • Options
    I feel like if I hit 40 I'll be incredibly stressed, and likely want to be induced. Not so sure how I'll feel when the time comes.
    ~First time mama, strikingly handsome husband, comedic pooch, krumpin' baby girl on her way~

• Options
    ashie0610ashie0610 member
    edited August 2014
    Based solely on what you described, no I would not consider induction.
    PM me for blog link!

Lilypie - (oGcT)Lilypie - (iEmQ)  
  • Options
    ksweat2ksweat2 member
    edited September 2014
    I wouldn't agree to an induction unless medically necessary. Our local hospital (which has no OB and freaks out when they have 5+ births in the same week) schedules babies. If you are under their care you're scheduled to be induced. Needless to say we aren't using the local facilities!
  • Options
    Nope! I was induced for high bp last time at 38 1/2 weeks and in labor 3 days, had an infection that passed to my son and he was in the NICU for 9 days bc of it. No way would I want that again without medical necessity. My body was not ready for him to come but it had no choice.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    No way. I don't want one even at 40 weeks unless there is a medical concern.  Why increase the need for a c-section and evicting LO before they're ready.  And I also don't view a big baby as a reason for an induction. U/S is wrong all the time, and I had a 9 pounder who was born 4 hours after my first contraction as a FTM. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"