October 2013 Moms

Are you still waiting to give LO egg whites?

coronitaextracoronitaextra member
edited August 2014 in October 2013 Moms
My LO eats yolks regularly, and has had regular bread and pasta with egg whites in them and hasn't shown any signs of allergy. I'm just wondering how long you ladies are really waiting to give whole eggs.

Are you still waiting to give LO egg whites? 173 votes

Yes, my LO will wait until 12 months.
12% 22 votes
No, they've had egg white/whole eggs already.
68% 119 votes
They have had whole eggs in another item, but well wait until 12 months for scrambled eggs with the white etc.
5% 10 votes
Other/we're not supposed to give them eggs?
12% 22 votes

Re: Are you still waiting to give LO egg whites?

• He screams if he doesn't get his scrambled eggs for breakfast

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • He eats mostly scrambled but has had just egg whites, too. No issues

ETA:the only food I'm waiting to give until 12 months is honey and WM

Even peanut butter/peanuts?
  • He eats mostly scrambled but has had just egg whites, too. No issues

ETA:the only food I'm waiting to give until 12 months is honey and WM

Even peanut butter/peanuts?
    I've given him a bit before, but I don't eat pb so we don't have it in the house.
  • I wish I could be relaxed about foods. DD1 has a severe peanut allergy so I'm always super worried about introducing major allergens. No eggs or peanut butter given here yet, no dairy yet either. I wish I didn't have to worry. Considering we don't even have peanut butter in our house DD2 may not getvit for many years. I probably will avoid it until we have her tested because dealing with a major reaction in your young child is very scary!

After almost 3 years of IF and a crazy roadside delivery, we are loving life with our second beautiful daughter! Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• At her 9 month appt the doc said to continue holding off on egg whites until about 11 months. He wanted us to introduce them at about 11 months because one of the vaccines she will recieve at 12 months has egg whites or is grown in egg whites, something like that.

At that point scrambled eggs had already become a staple in her diet. Oops.

She also has toast and PB once a week or so. No issues.
  • I wish I could be relaxed about foods. DD1 has a severe peanut allergy so I'm always super worried about introducing major allergens. No eggs or peanut butter given here yet, no dairy yet either. I wish I didn't have to worry. Considering we don't even have peanut butter in our house DD2 may not getvit for many years. I probably will avoid it until we have her tested because dealing with a major reaction in your young child is very scary!

I have a lot of food allergies, so when we started solids I had the Benadryl ready and my phone ready to call the dr/go to urgent care, but so far my LO has eaten EVERYTHING and hasn't had a single reaction thank goodness (knock on wood). I had a hard time relaxing about the allergens too, especially the things I'm allergic to, which are pretty rare actually, but I'm a big worry wart. My BF and parents really had to convince me to even give him watermelon (my biggest allergen).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks everyone. I'm going to give him real scrambled eggs for lunch! :D hopefully he likes it!
  • At DD 6 month appt they said the only food off limits until 1yr was honey. I honestly didn't know they weren't supposed to have egg whites until after I had started giving her scrambled eggs. She didn't have any issues. I haven't given peanut butter but I'm pretty sure she's had things with nuts without issues. We don't have allergies in our family so I haven't been too concerned.
    Baby #2 EDD: May 13th!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • My pedi said feed him anything but honey. She supports the research about early introduction means less allergies. She recommended that when I give him peanut butter to do it for a few straight days to be sure he had no reaction, and to really get his body used to it (I'm wording it wrong, but you get the idea). He loves scrambled eggs, and goes crazy for peanut butter (I buy the TJs brand-nothing but unsalted nuts ground up)!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Ss: ds gets severe eczema when I eat eggs (breastfed), so I will be holding out much longer than 12 mos.

• We have been giving everything except honey since six months. So far, no issues. We read that earlier introduction of foods might lower likelihood of allergies, so we went full speed ahead.

This. Our pedi is very up to date and said give all of the high allergy foods early on.

Jude Beckham 10/23/2013   Sean & Chels 03/08/2012

• We tried scrambled and she had reaction wherever it touched her face so we will try again in a few months.
                                                     imageimage
                                        Lilypie - (JNST)image
                                         Lilypie - (aqIx)
  • The only thing DS has consistently refused to eat it scrambled eggs. It's very odd. He's eaten a bite or two of a hard cooked egg, but really wasn't into that either.
  • vargasgurlvargasgurl member
    edited September 2014
    Ever since she had the allergic reaction to eggs when she was about 7 or 8 months I stayed away from them. DH said he already gave her the yoke but I didn't see it. I guess I can try it again but yokes seem so boring :/
    < image
  • I am waiting until DD2 is 12 months old like I did with DD1.  Several family members have egg allergies, including my dad.  She can have eggs cooked into things, have given her food with eggs as part of the ingredients but will wait and plain eggs until one year of age.

Side note with allergenic foods my mom suggest putting a little on the top of their hand and then rubbing it off and seeing if there is an instant reaction.  Like peanut butter so see about peanut allergies.  If there is a big allergy there will be a change in the skin almost immediately.  If there is no skin change then let them eat it but still monitor in case it's not a bad allergy.  Thankfully DD1 hasn't been allergic to anything, but any kid is different and I am not going to take chances with DD2.
  • We have been giving everything except honey since six months. So far, no issues. We read that earlier introduction of foods might lower likelihood of allergies, so we went full speed ahead.

This. Our pedi is very up to date and said give all of the high allergy foods early on.
    This is funny to me because our Pediatrician said that this literature is a couple years old and the latest research shows that if you're going to be allergic to something, you're going to be allergic to it, whether you are introduced to it at 4, 6, 9, 12, 24 months. The question you have to ask yourself is, would it be easier to intubate a 6-, 9-, 12-month old if a severe reaction occurred, and which would fare better?
  • Do you read the sources you quote? The research has been going on for years, so it is definitely years old. Maybe you mean the conclusions aren't a couple years old? Even so, the article you posted says there are no definitive conclusions yet and more questions to be answered.
    Also, there is a point made about whether infants are likely to have allergies, whether they have first degree relatives with allergies. Your kids do. Mine don't.
    And the icing on the cake about your link is that it links to AAP policy which addresses differences in infant formulas. Sweet, sweet irony.
  • I have always given both kids only whole eggs scrambled. If it wasn't for TB I never would've heard of this.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I haven't been waiting to give DD potential allergens. I have been told that it is very unusual for a person to go into anaphylactic shock the first time they have an allergic reaction to a new substance. The first reaction is usually a skin reaction. I figure that even if this new mystery research turns out to be true and she was going to be allergic no matter what, intubation shouldn't be an issue. Why not give it to her now in case it really does lessen the chance she will have a reaction. So far so good (*knocks on wood*).
  • I've given my baby egg whites. No problem here, but probably depends on family history. So should I stop giving egg whites to make LC happy?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• My dd will eat eggs anytime they are served. It was one of the first foods she ate. We have introduced everything except honey and lettuce since she doesn't have teeth.
  • Scrambled eggs for a couple months now. He hates them. That is all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"