January 2014 Moms
Options

Everything is going crazy!

Warning: this is a whining rant.

DD started school, and it's not going well - she's ASD and ADHD, and the large public middle school seems to be too much for her. This has brought the subject of homeschooling back up. This subject brings us to...

DH hates his job. He's a creative, and his job is very monotonous. He works for a great company and gets paid pretty well. But, with DDs issues, we have circled back around to him going to school for something he would like to do, and with his more open schedule, schooling the older one and helping with the baby. We have a super awesome sitter who would fill in anytime we needed, 24 hours a day.

I am the larger earner already, but the thought of supporting the whole family freaks me out. We are crunching numbers and doing a lot of soul searching on this, and no decisions have been made. All this upheaval is causing my anxiety to be sky high though.

If you've read all of this, thank you. Any suggestions or shipments of wine welcome.
AnnRenee 1/21/03
Luke 12/30/2013

Re: Everything is going crazy!

• Options
    A vat of wine is on the way...
    What about private/smaller school for DD?  I went to catholic school, and although they don't have the resources that public schools have, their classes are much smaller. Do you think she would excel there?
    Can H wait until DD is settled and happy in her school environment before making a big change?  Maybe he can do PT at his job and school PT?  If that is even possible. It's tough bc my old job wouldn't allow PT status. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Options
    We have looked into private schools - our state even has a program for scholarships for students on IEPs.  Unfortunately, so far she hasn't been accepted into any private schools because she is either too high functioning or low functioning, depending on the school.  It's definitely still something on my radar, I just got discouraged for a while. I went to a small Catholic school, too and loved it!

H and I talked earlier today and the absolute soonest he would go back would be January.  We are going to tour the school in a couple of weeks to see how flexible they are and then he can open the discussions with work.  Luckily he is certified at work so they would probably be willing to work with him rather than lose him!

Thank you for thoughts!
    AnnRenee 1/21/03
    Luke 12/30/2013
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't have any advice but just wanted to acknowledge your frustrations. I have a friend who's son is on the ASD and I am just amazed at the challenges she has encountered with the school system. She has to fight with them for almost everything for him! It really is a shame.
  • Options

I don't have any advice but just wanted to acknowledge your frustrations. I have a friend who's son is on the ASD and I am just amazed at the challenges she has encountered with the school system. She has to fight with them for almost everything for him! It really is a shame.

It really is. I know that we are really blessed where we are, her school is trying everything they can to accommodate. The hardest part is at the end of the day, she's still surrounded by nearly 1,000 students. I hear horror stories all the time of families who don't have as many opportunities as we do, even though these kids are supposed to be protected by law.
    AnnRenee 1/21/03
    Luke 12/30/2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"