February 2014 Moms
Options

WWF14 Do? (Brother's baby related.)

My brother's girlfriend just told me that the other night, the (2 week old) baby was crying every time they put her in her crib. She said when she would pick the baby up, she would stop crying and calm down.

So their solution was to put the baby down in the crib, leave the room, and let the 2 week old cry herself to sleep.

I feel sick over this. Maybe it's none of my business. She's not asking for my advice, she just informed me of what she chose to do. Do I say something? Do I leave it alone?

I could literally cry right now thinking about that poor baby crying herself into exhaustion. Help.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: WWF14 Do? (Brother's baby related.)

• Options
    The more I think about this, the more upset I'm truly getting. Please say something. :(
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I feel absolutely sick over this. I want to say something but I'm just trying to put myself in their shoes, and remember how I'd feel at 2 weeks PP. If someone had called me to tell me something like this, I'd hate them. I'm so scared it will ruin my relationship with them. 

But that baby.

I think I'm going to have to say something. But arghhhhh! This is none of my business! 

• Options
    Ugh. That's such a hard situation! Can you try and start a discussion with her about it, maybe ask why she chose that method? Maybe it would lead to an opening for you to gently explain why that's not appropriate for a two week old
    She said "nothing else was working." Meaning, unless the baby was being held, she wouldn't calm down. 

• Options
    Oh man, I don't understand this. Why don't they know that you give a newborn all of the attention and cuddles he/she needs. If people were just setting their babies down and going about their business of sleeping, eating, doing anything normal, then no one would ever say that having a newborn is hard.

I think you have to say something too. Can you talk to your brother or do you feel more comfortable talking to her?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Options
    I'm glad you were able to talk to her and that she was open to advice.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Options
    I'm glad that you were able to talk to her and that the conversation was positive! Those first few weeks pp can be super overwhelming.. I'm glad she has someone like you to offer constructive advice.

• Options
    This is an awesome update. \:D/
  • Options
    I'm so glad you were able to talk to her. Sounded like she really just needed some good advice.
  • Options
    Good job @Codypup, I know that was tough!
    DD1 - Evelyn Riley - 9/30/11
    DD2 - Charlotte Avery - 1/27/14

• Options
    Great job! That couldn't have been easy!
  • Options
    In so glad to see that this went well!
    I'm hoping for the baby's sake that this was originally one of those times when mom is just burnt out and has to put the baby down and walk away for a few min to calm down, and that the baby feel asleep while she was gone.
    I'm so glad that she reached out to you for help and that you were courageous enough to tell it to her straight. That takes a lot of guts. Hopefully now she will be better prepared in the future!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"