April 2014 Moms

Disturbed sleep - rolling over

My little guy can roll from back to belly but not the other way around. The last two night he has been rolling onto his belly and wants to stay there. Every time I put him back on his back he rolls back to his belly. I would be okay with him sleeping on his belly, except that he won't turn his head to the side and keeps his face planted in the mattress. Any advice? Anyone else experiencing this? This new activity is really cutting down the amount of sleep I get and I'm sure the quality of sleep he is getting.

Re: Disturbed sleep - rolling over

• My LO just started doing this too.

Practice lots of tummy time during the day to build strong muscles.

Maybe see if LO will let you gently shift his head?
  • All of my kids were fans of having their faces smooshed, probably reminiscent of being inutero. DD2 is my only belly sleeper. Sometimes she sleeps face to the side and sometimes she sleeps face down. She moves it if she's uncomfortable or can't breathe. I agree with pp that a lot of tummy time will help.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I have been giving him lots of tummy time during the day. He does great. I did try an turn his head to the side, but he either stiffened up or would just turn back.
    I guess this is just a phase.
  • Liam would face plant when he first started rolling to his belly and I would gently move his head to the side and he soon got the picture. He successfully rolls all over and there are times he'll choose to bury his face in the mattress or crook of his arm but I'm not worried because he's able to move so well.

Does your LO use a pacifier? For whatever reason, Liam using a pacifier made me feel better about being on his tummy.
    ~ Leah, Rachel and Gabriel were born on May 27, 2013 (23 weeks) ~ Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My LO does that, too. The first time it freaked me out, but he's been sleeping a little better since he's on his tummy. I don't worry since he rocks tummy time and is even starting to "crawl" a little.
  • We have this issue except she just lifts her head immediately, like we're doing tummy time. It's beyond frustrating!
  • Thank you for posting this- DS is going the same thing. He turns his head to the side or gets up to do a tummy time session but it is still a little unnerving.
    When the Lord closes a door, somewhere He opens a window.
  • J&NLJ&NL member
    We do lots and lots of tummy time. DS would do the same thing, so I just made sure he was rolled over right when I put him down and watched him to make sure his head was to the side. When he fell asleep, I would check again and if it wasn't then I would just move his head to the side. I started at nap time so I could monitor him the whole time. 
    photo ee249d6c-880a-4eb4-bc43-d6ab1f9fe662.jpg
  • When DD started rolling on her own I just left her that way. A few times she slept face down in the mattress but she has been ok. The strange part is, she now does fine sleeping on her tummy at night, but I just started weaning her off of napping in the swing and putting her in the crib instead. She will immediately roll to her side and sleep for about 30 minutes that way. As soon as she rolls to her tummy, she lifts her head and starts crying. But she'll sleep on her tummy all night. I hope she figures it out soon because she is one tired and cranky baby!

• LO does this-- he can roll onto his stomach but not the other way-- but when he wakes up and finds himself on his stomach, he lifts his torso up and starts whining. Probably once a night DH or I needs to go in there and flip him over, like a turtle (in reverse). As soon as he is on his back he falls back asleep. It will be so nice when he can roll back by himself!

I am trying to double down on tummy time to help with this but so far it's just one direction rolling. LO is four months next week, btw.
  • *sparky* said:

When DD started rolling on her own I just left her that way. A few times she slept face down in the mattress but she has been ok. The strange part is, she now does fine sleeping on her tummy at night, but I just started weaning her off of napping in the swing and putting her in the crib instead. She will immediately roll to her side and sleep for about 30 minutes that way. As soon as she rolls to her tummy, she lifts her head and starts crying. But she'll sleep on her tummy all night. I hope she figures it out soon because she is one tired and cranky baby!

My DD does the same thing with nap time and nighttime sleeping. Naps are so frustrating now.
  • We have this issue except she just lifts her head immediately, like we're doing tummy time. It's beyond frustrating!
    This exactly. She's like, "hey, tummy time again??" all. night. long.
    This!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"