January 2015 Moms
Options

Circumcision or not

My mom is pushing me not to snip. She tells me it's cruel the way it's done and she didn't have it done for my brothers. I always thought if I had a boy I would. I only have one medical benefit to defend my reason and that's lower the cancer risk later in life. Other then that the other reasons I have are superficial. My husband doesn't really want to discuss it yet. I think my baby would wonder why he would be different from his dad if I didn't or get that later in life from other kids. Has anyone else gone through this?

Re: Circumcision or not

• Options
    I just wish my husband would speak up more about it. I think my problem is I am currently feeling alone in this decision. Also thanks I didn't even think about the insurance part of it
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    By what I'm reading I see I have opened up a can of worms. People can say the most hurtful things on here too. Ultimately it will be our decision and none of you will know and at the end of the day even really care if I do or don't. My post was more about the fact that I'm feeling pressured from others and not getting any help from my husband on the matter. I have done research I'm not going into it blindly. I also know that we are all different and that's something we should be proud of and the comments about the boob jobs I just don't even know what to say to that because it was so ridiculous.
  • Options
    Thanks happymonkey817. He is just not a very out spoken person, very reserved.
  • Options
    I'm sorry you feel unsupported by your husband with this issue. I agree with PP that he may feel uncomfortable and feels that there is plenty of time to decide. Maybe let him know that the issue is more complex than you initially thought and you want to make sure you both do your research.

FWIW about husbands: I've been trying to get DH to read a packet about common newborn testing and procedures for a month! He keeps brushing it off with "there's plenty of time to read it" and "we did it before and P was fine." Sigh, I feel your pain a bit on the husband front.

FWIW about circumcision: my son is not circumcised but his father is. He has yet to notice any difference other than he and dad have a penis but mom does not. If he does notice my husband decided that the benefit of DS remaining intact was more important than the slight discomfort of one awkward discussion as to why their penises(or friends/locker room)look different.
                Jan 15 January Siggy Challenge
                  Newborn/Baby Fails

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image

• Options
    Why do I have an overwhelmingly gloomy feeling that this thread is going to be the ugliest one yet?
    Nature of a message board :)  It'll happen, and won't be the last time.  I think it's quite calm ;)
    (Zoe Claire- born at 33.6 weeks- November 19, '14 - 5lbs 15oz)
  • Options
    NatureLoversNatureLovers member
    edited August 2014

Why do I have an overwhelmingly gloomy feeling that this thread is going to be the ugliest one yet?

Nature of a message board :)  It'll happen, and won't be the last time.  I think it's quite calm ;)

QUOTE FAIL......

Ditto!

OP, the responses were geared towards the "Circ or not to circ" part of your post, which is essentially a question, and you got answers as to what other people will/would do. The comments regarding his resembling his father (and my boob job analogy) were in direct response to your "look like his Dad" comment. No one has been mean or hurtful towards you, so I'm not sure where that's coming from, this thread (so far) has been tame and reasonable.

If you wanted to vent only, you should have posted something like "I'm not looking for opinions on whether or not circ'ing is a good idea, I just need to vent about my H's lack of initiative in this area." But, you didn't do that, hence the replies sharing different viewpoints and plans.
  • Options
    I can understand where you're coming from. I am from a family of girls so circumcision is something we've never had to think about. I do have 20 male first cousins and I know that all but one is circumcised and that was because he had other emergency surgery right after birth. I had no idea that the recommendations regarding circumcision were changing until I became pregnant.

Now I know we're having a boy. My H and I haven't discussed it yet, but I agree that the first step is absolutely to do as much research as you can. Share this with your H. If you have a pediatrician already or plan to find one soon, talk to them as well. Maybe your H will respond better to a doctor than to an Internet source (even though there are plenty of reliable sources).

Take your time. Talk to him, listen to him. Don't expect him to make his decision in one conversation. Good luck!
    ******************************************** siggy warning ******************************************

image image

Married July 2011 * TTC #1 since 8/12 * Me: 29 DH: 29
    21 Cycles TI: BFNs
    DX: Stage 2 Endo, uterine polyps and paratubal cysts removed
    2/14: IVF #1 Lupron Protocol = 12R/10M/9F, no frosties; transferred one 3BB blast = BFN
    4/14: IVF #2 Antagonist Protocol = 18R/16M/15F/6 frosties; transferred one 4BB blast = BFP!!
    Beta #1 (5/12) = 232 Beta #2 (5/16) = 886 Beta #3 (5/20) = 3168
    EDD 1/18/15 It's a BOY 

~~~~~~ All Are Welcome ~~~~~~

• Options
    My husband and I have started talking about it but he would like to do more research. If I were to bet I would say that it will be after I pester/nag him about it a few more times.

I am on the fence about it and want to go through more research and will definitely need my husband to weigh in heavily. It seems as though the ratio of uncircumcised to circumcised is getting pretty even.

I am with @naturelover on the difference of cancer probability being statistically insignificant. Hygiene and likelihood of contracting STDs were the other two potential health issues that come to mind from a recent article that I read. Hygiene is definitely something that needs to be taught regardless of whether a penis is left intact so it seems like a nonissue. The last one...well that gets to a whole other arena. That is a lot of research to consider and I still have a lot reading to do.
  • Options
    Thank you all. after reading most comments, I am finally seeing some support and advice which is what I really needed.
  • Options
    cmacias18cmacias18 member
    edited August 2014
    And I especially liked the my mom already had her kids comment :) made me laugh. This is my first baby and I feel everyone around me (grandmothers, mother and mother in law) are all trying to get me to do things their way & not giving me a chance to make my own decisions. I should get a shirt that says if I need the advice I'll ask :)
  • Options
    I was going to get my son circumcised if we have a boy, but my husband has been dead set against, even though he's circumcised himself. I'm still hoping we have a girl, so I don't have to make this decision yet, but I decided to do a little research just in case. I knew I would have to come up with a lot of valid arguments on why circumcision is necessary, but I couldn't really find much. I read that circumcision can prevent UTIs in infants. I'm not sure how common UTIs are in infants though. It can also reduce penile cancer, but apparently that's a rare form of cancer in the first place. I also have superficial reasons, but other than that it seems like an unnecessary surgery, and I can't really justify putting my newborn son through surgery unless I have a lot of proof it will be beneficial in the long run. Maybe if you give your husband a deadline on making the decision it would get him time to start doing his own research so you can make the decision together. It's not fair to make you decide alone.

For mothers of uncircumcised boys, have they had any UTIs before or are UTIs pretty easy to prevent?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I'm going to read through all of these myself. I'm having a tough time with this too. My mother is adament that its cruel and SHE would not snip, but she had 3 daughters and did not have to decide she can be as preachy as she wants to. She says that the boy can decide later in life if he prefers to be circumsized. My husband is snipped and says he prefers it that way but says that if his parents had chosen not to, there is no way he'd go back and get trimmed as an adult.

Hygenie wish I think it's better

ExcitedMama2  I think its interesting that teenage boys do go back and do it later. That's a bit of a concern for me too. I'd rather have him not remember the pain versus having a vivid memory of it

• Options
    If we have another son, he will also be circumcised. I love the defense of if they just have good hygiene... Most men don't have the nest hygiene habits.
  • Options
    Melmarie4 & bustysinclare it is reassuring to see others going through the same thing. My mom also told me if they choose to do it later then that's their choice. I've read UTIs are very low like 1% and it's just treated with antibiotics. Female babies have them more often then boys. And it's not a surprise but none of the men in my family are snipped it's a cultural thing. I guess growing up Id hear things that it wasn't normal and decided then I would have my child's done. But now with the little evidence to support doing it I'm reconsidering it. I do however have two instances within my family where I think they should've done it. One is my little brother who is now 11, around 2 or 3 I don't quite remember I guess it wasn't retracting correctly and it caused him pain. My mother still however refused to get it fixed. He is fine now I hope I'm not going to ask my 11 yr old how's your penis now lol. And the second instance was with my little cousin who is 8 now. He and his brother were basically all penis as babies and had way too much skin. While the little one started going on his own he accidentally zipped it and it caused a horrible mess. Poor little guy. I don't have one thank goodness lol but At this time I wish I knew what it did if that makes any sense. If only we could just ask men if they miss their skin or I they are happy with having it type of survey.
  • Options

I find the whole "looking like his father" reason to be so ridiculous that it's laughable. Are they going to be whipping their dicks out at the dinner table and comparing notes? Based on that argument, if your daughter had smaller breasts than you do, would you get her a boob job at 16 so she'll "look like her Mom"? No, you wouldn't, because that's nuts, but for some reason people think that's a logical reason for circ'ing. That, and the locker room thing. At least 50% of boys are no longer circumcised, so he'll hardly be alone there.

This! I always thought the looking like daddy thing was silly. Couldn't have said it better @NatureLovers‌
    My mom had a bush and I did not. I didn't feel like I needed a bush because mommy had one.

• Options
    It's not the looking like daddy thing, it's my husband not being able to help him. You don't know my husband and he is hopeless. I think it would be easier on him not the baby. And I found the whipping it out and comparing notes rude. That's not how I meant it.
  • Options
    My doctor (who is Jewish, BTW) told us that if you live in a modernized country with access to clean water and you have relatively good hygeine, there is absolutely no medical benefit to circumcision. He said it is purely cultural and cosmetic. We did it with DS because DH is circ'd. I suggested not doing it with DS2 because it's not medically necessary, but DH thinks he would feel left out if he's different than DH and DS1.
  • Options
    cmacias18 said:

It's not the looking like daddy thing, it's my husband not being able to help him. You don't know my husband and he is hopeless. I think it would be easier on him not the baby. And I found the whipping it out and comparing notes rude. That's not how I meant it.

Your husband helping him how? With what tasks?

If your feelings are this soft and tender over a facetious joke, the bump might not be the best place for you.
  • Options
    Help him? With his penis? Help him with what? You don't do anything with it. Leave your son intact. Humans are born with a foreskin (prepuce) and there is nothing wrong with it.

I hate the bs that all decisions are equally valid. How about circumcizing your daughter, hmm? Plenty of women who have been circ'd speak out that they are fine with it. Guess what, it's not your genitilia, not your choice. It does not provide medical benefits, it removes healthy functioning nervous tissue meant to protect and lubricate the head of the penis, and it does not have a damn thing to do with "hygeine". Would you circ a girl for "hygeine"? That's one of the justifications given. Because normally functioning healthy genitals are apparently disgusting.

Btw, it's not the norm to circ in Europe, and their dicks are fine.
  • Options
    StargirlbStargirlb member
    edited August 2014
    This is not a decision to make to make things "easier on your husband." Screw your husband. The penis belongs to your baby, not you, not your all-important hubby who is 'hopeless' and apparently needs to be placated.
  • Options
    Check my siggy...
  • Options
    StargirlbStargirlb member
    edited August 2014
    My hubby was pro-circ up until baby was born. Guess which opinion wins? The intact one. His opinion is not valid. Plus, I had done all of the research.

Once baby was born and he saw the perfect perfect perfect little intact penis he finally and 'magically' got it, and suddenly all I had been saying blossomed and he because very anti circ himself. Funny how that happens.
  • Options
    If someone went near my baby's healthy genitals with a sharp object meant to slice some of it off, I would slice theirs off first.
  • Options
    rachel+familyrachel+family member
    edited August 2014
    Yeah there's not really any tasks that fathers do with their sons penises. Only changing diapers which I think is more simple with an intact penis. DS will never remember his daddy changing his diaper and my husband keeps his pants on while changing him too...

Edited for grammar :)
  • Options

In terms of preventing STD's, just drill condom use into their heads, but we should be doing that anyway, regardless of whether or not they're intact. And get him the Gardasil vaccine.

Condoms = good. Got it... Except I don't generally equate logic with sex/hormones and teenage/young adult males.

But it broke and it was my last one....
    We have been together x amount of time and I trust my partner...
    That sixth/tenth/twelfth beer was awesome...
    Well it wouldn't hurt just this once...

I am not sure it justifies circumcision. But it is the reason for me that the decision is still on the table.

• Options
    I saw this thread at 5:00 am and I must say so far it's better than I thought it would turn out!
    I understand the idea of not looking like daddy. Some children are observant. But whatever you decide, you'll also have a great response for this. Lots of kids have different characteristics, I expect my kids will wonder why they are lighter/darker than their parents. It's a good talking point to be prepared for.
    I agree that you have to block out the opinions of grandparents. My mother in law did the same with me. I put my foot down and let her know it was between hubby and I. When you've done your research and you see your little boy, your heart will know what you should do.
    5 IUIs and an IVF
    It's all worth it for Baby Boy, born 9/30/13!
    What do you know, Baby Girl just popped up! Due 1/2/15
  • Options
    Looking like daddy is obviously a penis-Hangup that daddy has, because I promise you your son won't give a shit if his junk doesn't look like his fathers old wrinkled peen. I never wasted time worrying if my vulva looked like my mom's hairy one. I thought hers was weird. That's how kids are.
  • Options
    Circing is on it's way out. Fewer ppl in the west are doing it. Circumcisions are now the minority in canada, the majority of infants are left intact.
  • Options
    My DS1 is circ'ed, and it was done mainly because his father and my family were pushing me to go through with it.
    Looking back, I totally regret it now. Poor little guy was in so much pain. Every time I had to change him, and clean it almost made ME pass out. It still makes me shudder to this day.

FWIW: If this baby is a boy he will not be circ'ed. I love my DH to death and I respect his opinion more than anyone else's, but this isn't up for debate. I'm not putting another child of mine through that pointless BS.

*I hope everything works out for you and hopefully your DH comes around. As far as family's input on it...don't listen to what they want/have to say on the matter. Like PP have said, they've had their chance and it's not their child.
  • Options
    My husband and I had planned on circ for our son before he was born. We had every intention of doing it since my husband is and at the time we both felt like it was the right thing to do.

Once our perfect baby boy was born, plans changed. We couldn't bare the thought of them taking our newborn away from us to tie him down and cut him for no good reason.

It's a personal decision. There's not right answer. Personally, I could never do it.

If my son has any issues with his penis not being circ later in life then he has every right to get it done. His penis, his choice.

Pregnancy TickerimageBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options
    I honestly haven't thought about it yet. I will do the research and make that decision. My mil mentioned a bris if the baby is a boy and I just brushed her off. I know this is something I have to discuss with my husband and I'm pretty sure he's pro circ because of his faith.

Whatever you decide, OP, make sure it's not influenced by others opinions, but your own research.

• Options
    We wouldn't have circed if it was a boy. Times they are a'changing and it's just not necessary.
    Stephanie Ella ~ 6/15/2012
  • Options
    I have 3 boys and maybe another boy on the way... All are circd and so will my next. The pain is only for a second (with my experience) and all 3 fell asleep during the actual procedure... It was just the freezing they didn't care for. For us, I've just heard too many stories of grown men needing surgery or needing a circumcision later in life because of infections and such... Which is wayyyyyy worse than having it done as a new born!!
    That's just us tho... You do what you feel is right. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"