Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Rolling over at night

My 4 month old can roll from back to belly but not the other way around. The last two night he has been rolling onto his belly and wants to stay there. Every time I put him back on his back he rolls back to his belly. I would be okay with him sleeping on his belly, except that he won't turn his head to the side and keeps his face planted in the mattress. Any advice?

Re: Rolling over at night

• flclflcl member
    You just described what we went through with LO when he started rolling over.  Even though rolling over from his belly to his back is an easier skill, he would roll over from his back to his belly and get "stuck".  At night, he, too, would just have his face smashed into the mattress... we were so paranoid that the first night, we would go in there to turn his head slightly to the side.  His doctor said that if it's not bothering him, we shouldn't worry.  The next night, we left him (but my H went in there to check frequently just to make sure.)  By the 3rd night, he turned his face to the side on his own.  We did a ton of tummy time during this phase, helped him practice rolling back and forth on the floor, in his crib, etc...  He figured it out for himself pretty quickly.
  • I am going through this same situation also....sometimes she will sleep on her side and I am fine with that but still looking for a solution when she plants her face into the mattress.

• Loading the player...
  • Had the same issue with our LO. I would go in a turn her face to the side if needed bc i was paranoid! The swaddling was the big issues though since we had to stop once she could roll. A sleep sack was the best solution for us. She loves the zipadee zip and sleeps great in it! She can move around but still keeps her cozy.
  • My little man is 17 wks, he sleeps on his tummy, been doing this since 2 days old; so he has learned to roll tummy to back, problem is he doesn't like sleeping on his back. He twitches quite a bit and it always without fail wakes him up. Even in the hospital he didn't like being on his back or to be swaddled. We are also dealing with the 4 mos wakeful stage so this means I'm up several times a night, rolling him back over and trying to get him back to sleep. I don't give him a bottle in the middle of the night anymore, seeing as he use to sleep 9-8 without one before the 4mos stage. He occasionally plants his face into the mattress too but I have learned that he will always move his head when it gets difficult; although I'm always paranoid he wont, but my mom and his Dr confirmed that babies will move there head when they need too so to not stress over it too much. It's just a phase they all get over it at some point, just hope it's soon! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"