Stay at Home Moms
Options

"Welcome back gift" for teachers?

Dude, is this a thing?? I've been seeing posts on Facebook of silly gifts my "friends" are giving to their kids' teachers on the first day of school. Paper cup with handmade Seattle Seahawks coffee cup cozy filled with pencils (cuz teachers need 24 wooden pencils?)... planner ordered from Etsy (cuz the teacher is most likely ill-prepared for the start of school and is without a planner?)... but the best gift of all is from a friend who sells some special expensive mascara, she's giving her kids' teachers samples of mascara. I have no words. Anyway, are you all getting "welcome back gifts" for your kids' teachers?? Seems a bit brown nosey to me but if everyone's doing it...
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: "Welcome back gift" for teachers?

• Options
    No. No more gifts! It makes me irrationally angry. I think it's ridiculous and just marketing designed to make people think it's something they need to do. Marketing is so insidious in social media--sponsored blog posts, product reviews, Amazon affiliate links for craft supplies, etc. Blarg!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I have seen a few pics on my FB of people doing the same thing. Personally I thnk it's too much but these are the same people who give a small gift like that for every holiday throughout the school year(Halloween, Thanksgiving, St. Patricks day, etc).
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm guilty of the the back to school gift. In my defense, DD is 2.5 and this is her first year of preschool. Plus her teacher is an old neighbor of ours and her daughter babysits for date night. It was a planner with a printable classroom rules put in the cover sleeve. Super cute and pretty inexpensive and I can use the printable again. Sooooo, that's cool right?
  • Options

No - just... no...

First I have no idea who this person is nor their personal quirks/allergies/preferences/etc. yet - I have no idea if they're going to be great or suck. Great teachers I'll go to bat for over the course of the year and be super generous, lousy ones - yea no.. And yes, I've dealt with my share of each these past four years. 

If I was going to get them a gift it'd be something as silly as the big bottle of Tylenol...  And one for the Principal too...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This cannot be a thing.

• Options
    Only if my child was a terror would I give a welcome back gift...and it would just be money to straight up bribe them.
  • Options
    My back to school gift for Jacks teacher was what she requested on her classroom wish list...

Baby wipes, Lysol wipes, paper towels, baggies in varying sizes, extra school supplies for kids that didn't have them and play-doh.

I don't think teachers need more random crap. How many apple themed things does one person really need?

Plus I signed up to be her copy-bitch for the year. I think I'm good :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TTC Baby Rob #1 05/07, BFP 06/07, EDD 02/22/08, Baby Jackaroo born via c-section after 22 hours of labor on 02/27/08
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC Baby Rob #2 06/11 BFP 11/06/11 EDD 07/16/12 Natural M/C 11/25/11 @ 6w3d
    Baby Rob #2 (Sloane), in our hearts always.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Here comes Baby Rob #3
     BFP on Cycle 17 09/27/12. EDD 06/04/12! Please Stick Baby! A/S 01/22/13 Baby looking great. Officially TEAM BLUE! Jack is getting a Baby Brother! RCS scheduled for 05/29/13. William Daryll born at 9:59am on 05/29/13. Left ovary and tube removed due to peach sized tumor found during RCS. Pathology came back benign!

• Options
    Nope. I do teacher appreciation week, Christmas and end of year. That's for 5 different teachers/instructors between the three kids, so far. Call me stingy, but that's enough.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• Options
    Its crazy. As a teacher I've never seen it happen except for last year I was given a $10 DnD to "welcome me back" to working I guess?!?! LOL 

But to be honest, though I thought it was a brown nosy, I ain't mad atcha 
    ;)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #1 6.19.11 ~ EDD 2.23.12 ~ CP on 6.22.11
    BFP #2 7.23.11 ~ EDD 3.28.12 ~ MC on 8.16.11
    BFP #3 11.17.11~ EDD 7.31.12 ~ MC on 1.18.12
    BFP #4 4.12.12 ~ EDD 12.25.12~ Born on 12.26.12
  • Options
    I saw several of them on the first day of school and it was absolutely ridiculous. Justify it all you want I judge hard.
  • Options

I'm guilty of the the back to school gift. In my defense, DD is 2.5 and this is her first year of preschool. Plus her teacher is an old neighbor of ours and her daughter babysits for date night. It was a planner with a printable classroom rules put in the cover sleeve. Super cute and pretty inexpensive and I can use the printable again. Sooooo, that's cool right?

No it's ass kissing and ridiculous!
  • Options
    Only if my child was a terror would I give a welcome back gift...and it would just be money to straight up bribe them.

LOL - Fill me in - does this work??????  JUST KIDDING!!! 

(I love DD - but she's a handful.. Super smart, but if she's not interested in a subject, Heaven help us all...  She's 2 for 2 - Her Second and Third grade teachers are now doing something else - One went back to the Mother House and is in a non-teaching job, and the other went overseas to teach English/language)..

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DD did bring an apple a couple of years in a row, she thought it was cute and the teachers did too. No big expense.
  • Options

DD did bring an apple a couple of years in a row, she thought it was cute and the teachers did too. No big expense.

This is cute because it was her idea not because you wanted to buy something to kids ass.
  • Options
    This is cute because it was her idea not because you wanted to buy something to kids ass.

Totally. I do my ass kissing by volunteering. ;)
  • Options
    I don't think most people resent giving a teacher a gift for a job well done, but it's at the beginning of the year for one thing. Also, when you have 5 teachers plus specials teachers x 2 or 3 kids...that's a lot.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"