December 2014 Moms
Options

Just became high risk. (long and triggers)

I don't even know where to start, my head has been jumbled since yesterday. When we went for our first ultrasound to find out sex there was a shiny spot on his heart. My OB told me no big deal, but that I was going to have to go to a high risk OB for another ultrasound. We had the ultrasound yesterday. The shiny spot, I am told, is calcium in his heart. The OB is calling this a "marker" for Downs. I took a blood test to see if baby is positive or negative for Downs, but I won't know for 10 business days, it's eating at me. The doctor said because I am young he does not think the test will come back positive, but as someone who has an anxiety disorder I am not that great at staying positive. If he has Downs, it changes nothing, we just want to be prepared. Then the OB throws another curve ball at us that my HCG levels are high and that increases risk for a stillborn. So now I am being monitored every other week for that, babies growth, babies heart, and I need to pay close attention to his movements and make sure there are no changes. It's so much to take in. I thought I was so lucky to have a healthy, smooth pregnancy. I know it could be a lot worse, and there are women going through so much more than I am, but I can't stop crying. I am so scared for my baby boy. Is anyone else going through something similar? How are you coping? :(

Re: Just became high risk. (long and triggers)

• Options
    There have been a few threads about this, but an echogenic focus is nothing to worry about. They do not affect cardiac function, and as long as your fetal echo came back okay, I wouldn't get yourself all worked up. They are incredibly common these days as ultrasound machines are becoming more sensitive, and most of the time are false positives for DS markers. Unless you are at higher risk for DS, or had other soft markers, I really truly wouldn't worry. They found a VERY bright spot on my DD's heart, I had a fetal echo which showed completely normal cardiac function, and there are no other soft markers to suggest there is an issue.

I have no experience with high HCG levels, but I'm sure with regular monitoring all will be under control. Thoughts and prayers to you sweetie.

Married 07.12.14
    Hannah 12.09.14
    Baby #2 Due 06.18.16
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Cheekers2010Cheekers2010 member
    edited August 2014
    Oh girl. I could kick your OB for making you so worried. I am going to be super straight with you and tell you that the calcium in your boy's heart is a called a soft marker and it is SUPER COMMON. To the point that I am not sure why your doctor even mentioned it to you. Generally doctors don't even do any extra testing when they see just one. There need to be SEVERAL soft markers for concern. Even then they don't mean much.

As far as the higher levels of hcg, again there is no reason to go crazy. It's good they're keeping an extra eye on things but that's it. Please try and relax a little. You are still having a smooth pregnancy.
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for this stressful turn of things, thoughts and prayers... hang in there... I have friends who just had a baby girl with DS, they didn't fine out until they were 38 weeks. It was a huge adjustment to make so late in the game, but Phoebe is 2 months now and just perfect. :)
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you are having to deal with all this worry and anxiety.  Hoping everything is fine.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Started TTC "2.0": 6/13, First round of Clomid: 3/14, BFP: 4/14, EDD: 12/23/14, C-Section: 12/18/14
    Nathan and Nicholas are going to have so much fun together!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    soulcupcakesoulcupcake member
    edited August 2014
    I'm sorry you're going through this. :( I understand it's very stressful and causes so much worry. I dealt with a lot of stress after some things were picked up at my dd1's 30 week u/s. She was suspected to have moderate ventriculomegaly. I was monitored by a perinatologist after that, and then had weekly BPPs and NSTs because she was presenting with tachycardia during an earlier NST. A lot of worry during those last 8 weeks. But she was monitored after birth and all checked out fine.

My ds1, however, had very severe heart defects that were undiagnosed during pregnancy, and it wasn't discovered that something was very wrong until the month before he was due. But I had a feeling something was off throughout my entire pregnancy, sadly.

I hope your little man is doing well, and I'm glad you're being monitored extra closely. (((hugs)))
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Options

T&P, stay strong mom! :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    So sorry to hear about all of this. I hope everything turns out okay and we are here when you need to vent. Hugs!

Pregnancy Ticker

Joanna (30) Michael (31) 
    Twin sons born June 2009 after 1 Year ART, 
    Anthony and Brandon 6/25/09 
    Trying for #3 for 2 years
    IUI #10- BFP! m/c 2/23/2014 

• Options
    I am so sorry you are going through this.  FX there is all this for nothing. ((HUGS))

• Options
    I am so sorry you are going through this.  Try not to get too worried or concerned on the DS factor until you get the test results back.   With regards to HCG at least you know now so that both your and the LO can monitored versus not knowing.  ((Hugs))

Test
  • Options
    My prayers are with you and your baby
  • Options
    I was also told baby has a calcium spot on his heart. My 12 week testing was negative for Downs. I was told not to worry that they will just tell the ped. at the time of delivery. I of course googled it and was reassured that though not incredibly common it is also not rare.

***DD 5/15/2004***TTC #2 Since March 2012***Severe MFI*** LameBlog ***

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    So sorry you're being plagued with worry! Prayers that you can relax and find peace while you wait for results, and also that everything is going perfectly with your LO and pregnancy!
  • Options
    Oh Hun, I'm so sorry. I can imagine how scared you are right now. Sending you strength.
  • Options
    Sending prayers to you. I hope all comes back well.
  • Options
    I was told that my daughter has same fluid inside her kidney at my a/s. I was told it's very common and usually disappears by 32 weeks. Hopefully that is true but it was also a marker for Downs Syndrome so I did the same blood test to check her chromosomes. I just got the call yesterday afternoon that the test came back low risk so it gives me a bit of relief. I just hope the fluid goes away before she's born. T&p everything is ok. Even the smallest thing could be so scary for us.
  • Options
    It sounds like your OB is very thorough and cautious. I know that you are worrying but it's good that he is not over looking anything. Take comfort in the fact that you are getting care from a very meticulous doctor. Then, when everything comes out okay, you will know that you and your doc did everything to make sure you have a happy baby boy!
  • Options
    Thank you ladies! All of your T&P's definitely calm me down as I read them!
  • Options
    Just wanted to say that my baby boy has the same marker in his heart and my doctor basically said it is getting more and more common as the ultrasounds get better and that, when that is the only marker, she has never seen a baby actually have Downs. So I'm not actually too concerned about it. I get another sono at 32 weeks to check up on it and I'm actually excited about that!
  • Options
    So sorry you're going through this. I have no experience or advise, just wanna send T & P and hugs your way.
    Pregnant with #2

IVF cycle 1 (Nov 2013)- freeze all d/t OHSS
    FET #1-BFN
    FET #2-BFP baby girl born Dec 2014
    FET #3-Sept 2017 BFP but miscarried at 6 weeks

IVF cycle 2 (Oct 2017)- freeze all again d/t OHSS
    FET #1 BPF, pregnant with a singleton due Sept 2018

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I'm sorry you're feeling so anxious! I definitely relate to feeling really worried, even when you know that the odds are really good that everything is actually just fine. It sounds like you've got a good plan in place for extra monitoring, and you'll have more info from your blood test soon. I know it'll be a really hard wait. Hang in there!
    Baby GIRL born 12/11/14!!
    MC @ 8 wks 7/6/13 - ectopic @ 6 wks 12/28/13

In loving memory of sweet baby HP, and all our angel babies. Forever in our hearts.image 

• Options
    So sorry your dealing with this. FX that the tests come back negative. Sending you good vibes for a good outcome.

• Options
    ((Hugs)) I have nothing to add but my thoughts and prayers. I hope the tests all come back normal and your little boy is born healthy and happy.
    In memory of the baby Hufflepuff and all the angel babies of D14 <3
    imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"