October 2014 Moms
Options

WWYD?

Yesterday I was feeling absolutely awful. Legs and feet swollen, nauseous, exhausted, headache, floating white spots, took my bp it was 145/86. I had an appointment with the dr anyway, so I was curious to see how my urine would come back. I explained all the symptoms to the dr, and ask him if he could test my urine to see how glucose and proteins are. He told me the nurse had already tested it and recorded it as negative. I explained that she never even opened the specimen container. I had put it on the counter, it sat in the same spot, and I had been in the same room the whole time. He calls her in and she says that she did check it. I explain again that she never opened the container and used the dipstick, so there is no way she could know the results. She grabs that container and says "I'll test it..again." walks out and slams the door. Comes back 30 seconds later and says "yup, still negative." And that was that. I asked the dr if I could give another sample but he said he has to trust his employees and if she said she tested it, he believes she did. I try to understand, but start crying and the discussion turns to other stuff at that point. 
So my question is, what would you do? It left such a bad taste in my mouth. I know for a fact she never tested it and a part of me wants to find a new dr because of it. It's illegal and immoral to document false findings. If she doesn't do that simple part of her  job, what else is she not doing? I"m so annoyed and upset that the dr didn't make her run it in front of me and allowed her to take it out of the room. Do i give them a second chance and request that I don't have her as a nurse anymore? Do I go to a different practice? WWYD? 
Today I came to work with the same symptoms and had to go to L&D for monitoring since my bp was 156/98. They said that blood and urine came back "picture perfect". Why I feel like such doody is a mystery. 

Re: WWYD?

• Options
    BTW this isn't the first time  she hasn't run it, but the times before that I never cared what my results were so I never asked. I figured she recording it wasn't tested but looked clear. 
  • Options
    Sounds like you have gestational hypertension but not pre-e. It's possible to have high bp but not have protein in your urine.

That said, I would be looking at finding a different doctor.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @crawford411 you are right....I don't want to let one nurse get in the way, especially because I really like my dr, but the other issue is, they do the bp manually, and when she does it, it's always in the higher, but normal range (1302/80s) When I have it checked by another nurse or the automatic cuff, it is always on the higher end.(1402/90) He just said to monitor it for now. 
    I"m just so not feeling pregnancy today. I appreciate all the advice. You girls are great support. 
  • Options
    In her defense, what does she have to gain by not checking it? Just seems odd.

My blood pressure starting rising at 34 weeks with my son... swelling, white spots, upper belly pain, all the pre eclampsia signs. However, my protein levels were super low so it was diagnosed as pregnancy induced hypertension. Same thing started last week with this pregnancy but still no protein, thank goodness. It's something to definitely keep a close eye on but just be thankful it's not pre eclampsia. It can turn into pre eclampsia quick so be cautious but I would make such a big deal out of the nurse thing. Again, what would she have to gain from not checking it?
  • Options
    @cozybluebear She doesn't gain anything by not checking it, other than pure laziness. It's a simple test, that involves putting a strip into my urine and comparing it to the colors on a bottle. They charge my insurance for it, I would expect her to do it. I don't think she is out to get me or is trying to hurt me by not doing it, I just think she is lazy and would rather sit her ass down in front of the computer than actually do it. But if you document results with out checking, that is false reporting, which is highly illegal. 
    @nicb13 I'm looking into it. I have an appointment on Tuesday, so I"m going to see if I can get more info on their complaint/ compliance department. 

Anyway, thank you ladies for responding, but I am getting highly irritated (not by this thread, just life in general right now) So I'm going to go off the grid for a little bit. I apologize if someone responds to this and I don't answer back. I have to be away from people right now. 
  • Options
    PS...I'm sorry if that sounded at all snarky, I'm not having a great day. Time to go. good day my fellow bumpies. 
  • Options
    I have major swelling in my feet and ankles, cramping in my upper tummy, seeing spots and floaters, and stay thirsty and of course about to pee. My BP has been great so far and no protein in my urine either. Is this just normal pregnancy symptoms or could it be something else? image
  • Options
    I wouldn't switch over one nurse since she won't be part of the delivery, but if it is a problem, I would definitely find someone to complain to. In switching you also would have to consider whether someone else would be willing to take you this far along in the pregnancy. Sometimes they won't. I switched practices at 24 weeks for my 28 week appointment and had to get "special permission" to do it and they told me that if I had been any further along, they wouldn't have been able to take me. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    @amstevens78 Fat feet is usually just edema (water retention). I have the same issue, mostly in the left foot and ankle. Super sexy! I'm also really thirsty, I can't drink enough water. The aching is also pretty normal I've got some awesome BH at the moment. The spots etc could be an issue but it's usually coupled with high BP and headaches. I would at least mention it to your doctor if he/she hasn't already noticed the water retention.
  • Options

@amstevens78 Fat feet is usually just edema (water retention). I have the same issue, mostly in the left foot and ankle. Super sexy! I'm also really thirsty, I can't drink enough water. The aching is also pretty normal I've got some awesome BH at the moment. The spots etc could be an issue but it's usually coupled with high BP and headaches. I would at least mention it to your doctor if he/she hasn't already noticed the water retention.

Thanks! I did mention it last time I was there, but my feet and ankles were not as bad as they are now. But I will definitely mention again to them next week. I thought it was pretty normal, but I wanted to see what everyone else thought and if they had experienced it. Thanks again!
  • Options
    I used to be an office manager at an ob/gyn and would find urine cups that were never run on a regular basis. Certain ma's were "repeat offenders." They didn't run it because they were lazy. It was something I had to keep a close eye on.

I would suggest complaining to an office manager if they have one. Keep telling your dr your symptoms and take care of yourself.
  • Options
    Hello...quick update. Was in l & D Friday morning for monitoring. High BP, floaters, headache, severe swelling at 7:30am, pale, nauseous. Blood work and urine came back great Friday, but I had to go for a follow up Tuesday. Tuesday I had the same nurse who ran my urine this time while making a huge production of it. Her face was priceless when it came up with protein , had to do a 24 hour test yesterday and waiting for results now. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"