Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

1 year old nap change?

My dd turned 1 year old yesterday - woo hoo!  She has always loved her morning nap, but the afternoon has been difficult, especially this summer since we have been traveling so much.  Is it normal for a 1 year old to give up their afternoon nap first?  I really want her to stick with 2 naps for as long as possible, but I hate the fight and tears to get her to sleep then.  Thanks!

Re: 1 year old nap change?

• It's normal for LO's to combine one nap into two, but when the nap occurs really depends on the kiddo. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think it's normal to drop the afternoon first because usually they aren't tired enough for it.  However, they are too tired to go all day without.  12 mos is a bit young but she could be ready.  I'd try gradually pushing her morning nap back until they've combined.  If it isn't working then go back to 2 naps.  

FWIW, having them on 1 nap is so much better IMO.  It breaks the day into two sections and makes it so much easier to go out, make plans, etc.  But they have to be ready.  DD transitioned at 13 mos and DS at 17 mos.  Good luck.
  • Loading the player...
  • The average age for toddlers to drop down to 1 nap is between 15-18m.  DS didn't go down to 1 nap until just before he turned 18m.  But prior to that, he had many occasions that he acted like he wanted to drop a nap.  Each time turned out to be teething or illness etc.  After a week of fighting naps, he went back to his 2 nap routine.
    TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • oiy,

My son is just turning One this weekend and moved himself to one nap around 10 months. He sleeps from 7:30-8:00pm to 9:00-9:30am though so he's getting the sleep he needs..

We weren't fond of the cry it out method but we tried it at wits end and it really changed his nap schedule from the day he "got sleep" on..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"