Secondary IF
Options

Gonal F or Follistim

So if this cycle doesn't work, Dr suggested next cycle letrozole 7.5 again, days 3-7, then a "mini session" (her words), of either gonal f or follistim. She did not say however, how long I do that for- I assume they are shots? I honestly know nothing about them, and I am trying to look up the cost of them with my insurance- surprisingly I have really decent drug coverage, just procedures costs suck. To get a rough estimate, has  anyone done a "mini session" after letrozole, or clomid, if so, how many days did you do it, so if they are shots, how many do you need?

Educate me please and thank you.  

My History:
Lots of BFN's & failed IUI's w/clomid and/or femara
Finally BFP with femara & t.i.- son born 6/17/2010
Started TTC again around when DS was 3ish
Lots of BFN's with femara & t.i & ovidrel
Tubes clear, S.A came back low motility but high count
About to switch to injectables w/femara, did one last cycle with just femara & an IUI with ovidrel- stupid motility was fantastic in the sample, but count was 700,000 AFTER wash! Had to sign a paper to even still do IUI- BFFP (big fat freaking positive) Go figure!

1st Beta 13dpiui 54, 2nd beta 48 hours later 115, 3rd beta 48 hours later 310, 4th beta 72 hours later 1748.

Re: Gonal F or Follistim

• Options
    Yes Gonal or Follistim are shots, usually sub q an the shots arent so bad. As far as which to use they are basically the same, but if you are trying to get insurance to cover them start now. Which brand you use will likely depend on which pharmacy your insurance prefers to deal with and then which brand they prefer.
    @Bananappeal145‌ did a combo cycle just recently so I'm sure she can chime in, but I think she used Bravelle.

TTC#1 May 2009- July 2010 on our own with no luck

Started with RE in August 2010, dx with unexplained IF and then finally our 3rd IUI cycle using Follistim and Trigger resulted in our wonderful little man.  Born 12/2/11

TTC#2 Never really prevented, but were careful early on as Dr. reccomended

Surprise BFP 12/16/13, started progesterone immediately as first numbers came back low, but betas were good.  Progesterone wasnt enough. Natural MC 12/24/13.

Back with RE as of January 2014...

5/27/14- Chemical Pregnancy :(

April 2015 IVF#1

5/13/15- BFP, please stick LO!

Oh and I'm a major Harry Potter Nerd :)

Silly mugglesimage

• Options
    I used Gonal F for my IVF cycle. One 900 unit pen (it comes in this cool pen that measures your dose for you. One pen totally out of pocket was $900. Not sure what dose you'll be on but thought you might like an idea of what if costs.

imageimageimage
    My FF Chart:
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/490dd7
    TTC #3 since June 2013
    BFP #1 7/21/2013--EDD 3/30/14--D&C 9/24/13
    BFP #2 1/28/14--MC 2/7/14

IUI #1 5mg Femara + trigger = BFN
    IUI #2 5mg Femara + trigger = BFN
    IUI #3 5mg Femara + trigger = BFN
    IVF #1, Stimmed for 12 days, ER 8/22/14, 9 retrieved, 7M, 7F!!  Freeze all due to fluid in uterus.
    FET end of October 2014 cancelled due to fluid in uterus due to possible c-scar defect
    Surgery scheduled 12/12/14 to fix possible isthmocele
    3/26/15 transferred one 8 cell grade 4 embryo and one 6 cell grade 3 embryo = slow rising betas for 2+ weeks = ectopic MTX shot 4/29/15
    Repeat c-scar surgery June 2015
    2nd and last IVF cycle August 2015, stimmed for 12 days, 2 egg retrieved, both mature and both fertilized.  Transferred both 8-cell embryos on Day 3, beta 9/5/15 = BFFN
    MOVING TO ADOPTION!  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks, I'm going to call my insurance company

My History:
    Lots of BFN's & failed IUI's w/clomid and/or femara
    Finally BFP with femara & t.i.- son born 6/17/2010
    Started TTC again around when DS was 3ish
    Lots of BFN's with femara & t.i & ovidrel
    Tubes clear, S.A came back low motility but high count
    About to switch to injectables w/femara, did one last cycle with just femara & an IUI with ovidrel- stupid motility was fantastic in the sample, but count was 700,000 AFTER wash! Had to sign a paper to even still do IUI- BFFP (big fat freaking positive) Go figure!

1st Beta 13dpiui 54, 2nd beta 48 hours later 115, 3rd beta 48 hours later 310, 4th beta 72 hours later 1748.
  • Options
    Yes, same with the Follistim (that's what I use) it also comes in the 900 unit pen, and I would think you would just need one vial for a "mini" session. My first IVF cycle I did 100u / 2x per day, so I would imagine a mini session would be much less than that. 

The shots are painless. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My RE practice holds a class you take prior to starting injects. The nurse running it said Gonal-F and Follistim are essentially the same. They give you whichever you have better insurance coverage for. There was another option, but I forget what it was called.

I was so nervous my first night, but now it's no big deal! Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I echo @Frenchteachermama‌ , i was prescribed the Gonal F in 309 units at a time for over $300,bucks a pop and I ended up needing 3 pens! Then the trigger for another $100 bucks!
    Married 07/15/2006 DS # 1&2 born 07/06/2007 TTC# 3 since 10/2013
  • Options
    On the cost front, if your insurance covers either Gonal-F or Follistim, that is awesome and I would go with the one covered (or covered the best).  If you don't have coverage, then shop around based on how much you need.  For my last IVF cycle, I got slightly better prices through Walgreens Specialty (mail-order) Pharmacy.  The initial cost was about the same between Gonal-F from Freedom Fertility and Follistim from Walgreens Specialty, but there was another program you could sign up for with Walgreens Specialty that would deduct $100 for each $1000 spent.  That probably wouldn't be helpful for an IUI cycle.  But, I was spending around $6,000 on fertility medications for my IVF cycle (DOR and poor responder here); so, I saved around $600.

Good luck!  I hope you don't end up needing to worry about this!

imageimage

~SAIF/PAIF/Everyone Welcome~ 

Me= 37 and DH = 41 

Dx: DOR, Endo, APA+ (really high beta 2 glycoprotein antibody and high everything else tested), heterozygous MTHFR mutation, positive for lupus anticoagulant, high FSH, low AMH and both tubes blocked (per HSG on 3/8/11)

IVF #1 - long lupron (with HGH, intralipids, lovenox and BA); 4 retrieved, 3 fertilized; ET 2 blasts and 1 frozen = BFN

IVF #2 - a version of antagonist with EPP (with HGH, intralipids, lovenox and BA); 6 retrieved, 4 mature, 3 fertilized, 2 blasts and 1 frozen blast transferred on day 5 = BFN.

IVF #3 April was postponed to May, May was canceled. June/July was canceled. Had a cyst aspiration and then began IVF #3 in August. ER on 8/22; ET on 8/24 with AH. +HPT on 9/5. Beta #1 (11dpo) = 3; Beta #2 (15dpo) = 29; Beta #3 (17dpo) = 60; Beta #4 (19 dpo) = 118. Heartbeat at 6 weeks 6 days =132.  Lil is here!

TTC#2:  Trigger + TI = BFN; Clomid + Trigger + IUI = BFN.

IVF #4:  BCP + MDLF + Lovenox = 7R, 1F = Transferred 1 6-cell embryo on day 3 = BFN

IVF #5:  MDLF + Lovenox = 4R, 1F = Transferred 1 10-cell compacting embryo on day 3 = BFN

IVF #6:  (New RE):  Long Antagonist November 2014 (transferred two 8 cell grade 1 embryos and froze one blast) = BFN

FET#1:  BFN

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"