November 2014 Moms
Options

Keeping winter baby warm outdoors?

Ok, so how on Earth are you supposed to take an infant outdoors in winter?  (We're not going to be going for snowy walks, I mean more just leaving the house to get places) Snowsuits are a no-no because they make the carseat unsafe, those bunting/boot covers over carseats are a no-no because they could suffocate the baby and/or void the guarantees of the carseat, be careful with blankets so baby doesn't suffocate, etc.... But make sure baby stays warm because they are too little to control their body temperature.   Aaack!

I live where it can get down to 0 degrees F so keeping baby warm is absolutely necessary when we take her from the car into a building.  All of the articles I've read are pretty much useless about how you should actually take an infant outdoors during the winter, so could I please have a little STM+ help?  What is the safest and most reasonable way to take a small infant outdoors during cold weather?  Sorry if I'm overlooking something simple, but my brain is fried on this one.  Thank you in advance!

My fur-babies Chuck Norris, Stella, and Lucy
imageimageimage

BFP #1 1/4/14; EDD 9/16/14;  mc 1/17/14 
BFP #2 3/12/14; baby girl born 11/21/14          
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Keeping winter baby warm outdoors?

• Options

We have a bundle me for the car seat to go over it for the winter time. Otherwise she'll be dressed super warm.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Don't worry! Funny story: my mom gave birth to my sister in Scotland in the 70s, and she tells me all sorts of stories about babies left outside in prams without being super bundled up. We're talking bonnets and blankets at the most. When my mom asked a few mothers why they were outside (and some shopkeepers why the hell they were selling thin bonnets in december instead of thick hats), the response was: "to make them hardy." All of those babies were super healthy, so it's okay to not worry too much about super bundling!

Not advising sticking your kid out in the cold all night in a onesie (the ladies above did this for about 15-20 minutes at most in small towns when shopping), but brisk winter walks actually invigorate baby and help them sleep. You don't have to worry about talking her outside, just use common sense and wrap a blanket around her, put hat/mittens on like @lissydee‌ stated, long sleeve sleeper maybe, etc. Being exposed to some cold is good!
    **********************************************************************************************

• Options
    Did I sound crazy when I wrote that....?  I think I did.  Reading all the conflicting articles about infant winter wear I was certainly feeling crazy.  Thank you for your simple advice!  I will breathe and feel just fine about taking LO outside without mountains of clothes or wraps.

imageimageimage

• Options
    CrisDeeCrisDee member
    edited August 2014
    I agree with what everyone said....tuck blankets around baby. I do have say that DS loved winters walks...this is him passed out after an hour walk in -15C about 0F
  • Options
    This was totally a question of mine....thanks for asking and all the great advice!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @emnob28 I had something very similar on my registry but took it off mid-meltdown.  But, on the in between time I found this on my fav carseat blog and it looks like what you show is ok because it doesn't wrap around the baby: https://carseatblog.com/18971/how-to-keep-your-baby-warm-this-winter/
    FWIW I think I'll leave the cover off the registry and just keep the extra flannel swaddle blankets I just registered for instead since they are multi-use.

@danigirl830 I think those are ok. I went to Carter's yesterday and bought one of the girl versions of your second link.  It is just a little fleece suit, not heavy or thick - it could double as an outfit.  The fleece is warm, but you wouldn't be putting on extra fabric so that unsafe buckling becomes an issue.

imageimageimage

• Options
    AnnieRoo13AnnieRoo13 member
    edited August 2014
    @KUinCBUS That sled is AMAZING! Where did you get it?
  • Options
    We have something like a bundle me. It doesn't go between baby and carseat so it's considered safe to use with the carseat. we live in Minnesota and neither kid has so far frozen :)
    Mom to Carter, Kendall, Kiersten and Baby O #4

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @danigirl830‌ general rule of thumb is if you put the baby in the seat, buckle and tighten straps to pass pinch test with it on then take baby out without adjusting the straps and put them back in seat with normal clothes on and the straps still pass the pinch test then it is ok to wear in carseat. If you have to tighten straps at all then it is too bulky.

Most thin fleece items are okay. When they say winter jackets are a no no with carseats it is mainly to prevent use of the big bulky puffy jackets. These will compress with the force of an accident and could potential allow child to slip out of seat even when strapped in and passing pinch test.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"