February 2014 Moms

In a funk

I've always had a little bit of anxiety, mainly because I'm a worrier, but ever since having my LO it's extreme! I finally broke down and went to the doc and was prescribed the lowest dose of lorazipam(Ativan),only to take when I'm feeling anxious. It helps but still feel like I'm always in a funk. I still constantly worry about things out of my control, and for some reason think the worst of things.... like dying

Re: In a funk

• You need to talk about this with your doctor ASAP. You may need stronger meds or some kind of counseling/therapy. Feeling like this isn't normal, and it isn't something you should take lightly. Please call or go see your doctor.
    F14 January Siggy Challenge: Gym/Fitness Fails
       Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • You need to talk about this with your doctor ASAP. You may need stronger meds or some kind of counseling/therapy. Feeling like this isn't normal, and it isn't something you should take lightly. Please call or go see your doctor.
    +1

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • If you are having intrusive thoughts, it might not be as simple as anxiety medication.
    I'm struggling through some late starting PPD and PPOCD, and intrusive thoughts have been really tough. I worry about the craziest things, and it was really affecting my life.
    Cognitive behavioural therapy is a great place to start. A licensed psychologist in your area should be able to help you out.
    If you want to chat, PM me. I'm glad to see you are aware and seeking treatment though. That's the biggest step, huge hugs.
  • I remember after having my first I had very similar thoughts and many other irrational fears such as "what if the baby slipped out of my hands and fell down the stairs?" I think motherhood brings on a whole new awareness of how precious life just really is and the world just got scarier now that our LO's are here for us to protect. If the thoughts are impacting your ability to feel joy then certainly seek out help. I remember it was helpful for me to share these thoughts with other new moms and my H. I felt more normal once I realized others had similar thoughts.

I hope you feel relief soon!
    And then there were three...

• Thank you Caer for your response! It makes me feel much better knowing I'm not alone:) my main worries are all health related, always thinking something is wrong! Haha :))
  • gigantan said:

I remember after having my first I had very similar thoughts and many other irrational fears such as "what if the baby slipped out of my hands and fell down the stairs?" I think motherhood brings on a whole new awareness of how precious life just really is and the world just got scarier now that our LO's are here for us to protect. If the thoughts are impacting your ability to feel joy then certainly seek out help. I remember it was helpful for me to share these thoughts with other new moms and my H. I felt more normal once I realized others had similar thoughts.

I hope you feel relief soon!

Thank you for this, it does help knowing others have had very similar thoughts! My husband is very supportive and talking with new moms def helps.
  • Also, @BBrisendine -- and I'm typing this is the least snarky way possible -- you might really find it beneficial to hang around this community, get to know us, and let us get to know you. I can't say I struggle with anxiety, but there have definitely been days where I'm feeling down or anxious, and the women in this community always, always, always reassure me that I'm not alone. They make me laugh, they make me realize I'm doing okay, and they make me realize it's okay to admit you're not okay and need help. 
    F14 January Siggy Challenge: Gym/Fitness Fails
       Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"