Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Weaning and nap time

My 18 mo has been nursing on demand since birth, and I recently started just nursing before sleeping and upon waking (the times he seems to need it most). My problem is that when he wakes up from his nap, he is inconsolably unhappy. I can't think of how I'll ever divert him from nursing after naps. Help! Advice and success stories welcome!

Re: Weaning and nap time

• How long is his nap?  For DS, every time he wakes up unhappy from his nap, is an indication the nap wasn't long enough and he was still tired.  I usually go in and soothe him, and he'd go back to sleep.  Sometimes he would nap another 45 min-1hr, other times only 15 minutes, but either case, he would wake up happy.

Does your DS have any favorite treats?  I'd try offering those when he wakes up.  My son likes fruit smoothies so I offered him that in place of breast milk.
    TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • He naps anywhere from 45 min to 1 1/2 hours. He doesn't respond well to me going in and soothing, unless I'm willing to nurse him!
    I like your idea of offering his favorite treat. He loves yogurt, so I'll give that a try for sure!
    Thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • My experience is exactly like pb-bride. Every time DD wakes up crying, she is either teething or the nap was not long enough and she is tired. Just today, she woke up at 6:30, a bit earlier than normal. She went down for a nap at 12 and woke up at 1:30 fussing and going "mama", then laid there and 3-4 minutes later she closed her eyes and fell sleep for another half an hour, woke up and was happy to go. I'm still nursing so when she wakes up and we don't have any plans we sit on the rocking chair and cuddle and nurse but if we have plans, I slowly turn the light on and tell her what we're going to be doing (swim class, play dates) and she usually gets excited and forgets about nursing. Once in a while, when she doesn't find the plan exciting she insists on nursing and I do it for a minute or two and then sit her up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"