Baby Names

What do you hate about the boys name August?

edited August 2014 in Baby Names
Just curious. We are team green and August is at the top of our list, followed closely by Elliott. On the recent post about names on the bump you just don't like I saw that August was listed several times. I was surprised. 

I won't be offended at all, but why the hate for August?

**Not looking for reassurance about the name. We love it and it is extremely uncommon where we live (Alabama). Just want to see why some may hate it.
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: What do you hate about the boys name August?

• that one surprised me too. I love it, and have never seen hate for it before.
  • abbyfulabbyful member
    edited August 2014
    I'm going to say just different tastes/preferences.

FWIW, a lot of my top/favorite names were mentioned in that thread too. (Cora/Coraline, Fiona, Penelope, Nora) It's not going to affect my decision, different people like different things, there is no name that everyone will absolutely love. .
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • I was thinking maybe just that it is sort of trending on name boards. I think it is one of those names that a lot of people have on their list but very few are actually choosing for the baby. The biggest hang up is the month of course. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Absolutely nothing. I love it and think that it's a wonderful name.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I dislike August. I can't pinpoint exactly why this name grates on me...it's too "soft" and feels like an incomplete Augustus and I dislike the nicknames Gus and Auggie. I just don't understand the love when there are, IMO, so many better boy names.

• It's NMS and I wouldn't choose it for my baby but I wouldn't side eye anyone for using it. I have much more dislike for Aiden/Cayden/Jayden.

BFP #1 natural mc 4/24/2012 5w1d 
    BFP #2 DS born 3/30/2013 
    BFP #3 cp 2/6/2014 
    BFP #4 natural mc 3/19/2014 5w6d 
    BFP #5 4/27/2014 EDD 12/24/2014 --IT'S A GIRL!

image image 
  • AlygohomeAlygohome member
    edited August 2014

I had no idea it was a boys name to be honest, totally thought it was female. Plus I hate the nn gus or auggy.

Edit: spelling/word

• I don't hate it but I don't find it appealing.  I don't care for the "aug" sound and do not find it masculine.

I do love the nn Gus though that's mainly because of Psych.  
  • I love August, but it was my grandpa's name, so I have a personal connection to it that makes me biased towards it. And I think Auggie and Gus Gus are adorable NNs when they are young, plus the name ages well and can sound sophisticated as well IMO.

image image

D 2.20.2011 & Z 7.16.2013

• I really don't know why I don't like it, TBH. It's the only month to be boy's name maybe? Also I dislike the nicknames.
    TB is dead.

|| [url=http;//www.fertilityfriend.com]Ovulation Chart[/url]
    || <a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Cha
  • I don't know why I don't like it. I don't like any names that are also months, I just don't get it. I don't mind Augustus
    "I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life's a bitch. You've got to go out and kick ass." Maya Angelou
    ~ Auntie to L: 2013 and Peanut: EDD 11/2014 ~

• I hate that people also use it for girls. Augustus is at the top of my name list however.

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

BFP #2:12/18/14 EDD: 8/27/14 Beta #1 (16 DPO): 50 Beta #2 (18 DPO): 54 CP: 12/25/14 at 5w0d

Names | Blog | Chart

Formally LisaG09

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

• I love August. It's our first choice for a boy. I was really surprised to see that so many people disliked it on the other post.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• I wouldn't use it myself, but I do like it. Definitely don't hate it.
    Started adoption process in Jan. 2011.
    3 failed matches in 2012.
    Surprise pregnancy in Aug. 2012.
    Precious baby boy "HC" born May 2013.
    Began researching EA in 2014.
    No longer pursuing EA due to fibroid complications.
    Officially on the adoption home study wait list.

• I love it, actually. But DH really dislikes it, because he thinks it's a "wimpy" name.
  • MH says it reminds him of Augustus Gloop from Willy Wonka and that's why he doesn't like it. Sad face.

DS born Oct. '11

TTC #2 with PCOS since Nov. '13

Dx: Low Progesterone (3.3) on 8/12/14

Waiting for RE appointment on 10/28/14

Surprise BFP on cycle 12 -- 10/19/14!

EDD July 1, 2015

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Love the name August and Elliot - you can't go wrong with either in my opinion!
  • What do I hate about it? Absolutely nothing! It's perfect! And Gus is the best NN ever!
  • I don't have any problems with August, though I dislike the nickname Gus.
    The first guy I ever had a crush on was named August -- I was 5 and he was an 8th grader.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    VOTE on my Name List
  • I love the nn Gus. Love, love. But I don't love any of the full names. August is ok, but seems unfinished and a month and I think Augustin(e) and Augustus are too big/clunky for my taste. But no hate here, especially as a way to get the nn Gus.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

VOTE on my Name List

• 4N6s4N6s member
    I like Elliot more. I know a girl named April and everyone always asks if she was born in April.
  • I like August a lot! No hate for it here.
    Baby GIRL born 12/11/14!!
    MC @ 8 wks 7/6/13 - ectopic @ 6 wks 12/28/13

In loving memory of sweet baby HP, and all our angel babies. Forever in our hearts.image 

• DIY7DIY7 member
    The nn Auggie sounds like Ugly. The nn are awful. August is nice.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I don't dislike it, but I like Augustine a lot more. I generally don't like months, flowers, or places for names. I love the nicknames associated with it.

Xander: November 30, 2010
    Ramona: June 14, 2013
    Ursula: November 1, 2014

• I can't really pinpoint the exact reason that I dislike it, but I do. I just don't like it. To me, it's a month, not a name. It doesn't offend me when others name their kid August, I just would never ever use it.
    Anniversary
  • Thanks everyone, I am not bothered by people disliking the name. We all have different names we like and I probably dislike some of the names others really love.I think August is sort of having a hay day on name boards right now. Sort of like Clementine or Hazel in my mind. 

I actually heard it on a blog and thought "hm, thats odd" and then it really grew on me. DH's first reaction was "like the month? That's lame" and now it is his favorite boys name. Funny how that happens. I agree that Augustine and Augustus are nice names, but there is something sort of crisp/naturey/modern about August to me that the other options don't have. We love the nicknames, FWIW. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I dislike that it seems to be more popular now, then when we named our son August 5.5 years ago. :) It didn't seem to be on the radar back then (except for the movie August Rush).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't hate it. 

Admittedly, I don't really like it a lot either, but there's nothing wrong with it at all.  I think it's just not my style. 

I just don't like a lot of month names.  I don't like April either.  Not a big fan of June. May is okay.  Oddly enough, March is a weird guilty pleasure name of mine that I'd never use. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I'm in the dislike camp.  It's a month, not a name (IMHO).  A friend from college named her daughter August and calls her Augie, which makes me cringe.  For the record, I don't like April as a first name, either.

Augustus or Augusto (my great-grandfather's name) are much better but NMS.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree that Augustine and Augustus are nice names, but there is something sort of crisp/naturey/modern about August to me that the other options don't have. We love the nicknames, FWIW. 
    Agreed...we named our son August after 3 grandpa's (great and great great etc). One named August, and the other 2 Augustus. While I do like it in theory, I thought Augustus was just too much of a name to handle :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's my great-great grandpa's name. He went by Gus. I like it!
  • first reaction was "like the month? That's lame" and now it is his favorite boys name. Funny how that happens. 

This happened to us too. I've always loved Gus/August forever and DH always said "never". About 7 months into my pregnancy with DS2, DH was 100% team August. He actually had to reconvince me after I'd moved on to another name.

I'm holding Gus right now!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"