November 2014 Moms
Options

How did you decide to become a SAHM or go back to work?

This has been the discussion in Casa de Nacho. 

Financially, we can afford for me to stay home.  We'd have to buy a smaller house and be more conscious of our spending, but luckily DH makes a very good salary so it'd be do-able.  Vacations may go from something like Disney cruises to renting a cottage at the beach for a week.  We may not always have new(er) cars.  Paying off debt (including my student loan) would take a little longer.  Stuff like that.  We'd have to make sacrifices, which every family does.

I am very torn about what to do.  I like my job and I like working.  But the thought of coming back to work is almost like a gut punch.  But then the thought of being a SAHM isn't 100% clear either.  What if I hate it?  What if I threw away my decently-paying, very flexible, casual workplace job for something I am not cut out to do?

For those that became a SAHM without returning to work, what lead you to the decision?  Right now the plan is for me to proceed as if I'm coming back to work and if after a month or so of Maternity Leave I know I want to stay home, I will.  Unfortunately I need to make the decision sooner into my anticipated Mat leave rather than later since we hope to put an offer on a house sometime in December.  I am hoping and praying that I just "know". 

Also, DH works from home.  Granted, he's pretty much locked in his office all day, but I worry that me and the baby being around and in his face would be stressful?  I think it's good for couples to not be together 24/7.  He's not worried about that all that much and says that we'd just have to make sure baby and I are active doing mommy and me classes, going to the Y, play groups, etc. 

Anyway, verbal vomit.  Anyone have any thoughts/advice/tips?  I am so grateful that this is even an issue and that we have options. 

Re: How did you decide to become a SAHM or go back to work?

• Options
    First off, you are so lucky to have the option! I sooo wish I could be a SAHM mom but financially it is not possible.
    For me, I never in a million years thought I would want to be a SAHM, I love my job and am very happy. But as soon as DD was about 2 months old it hit me and I realized I wanted more than anything to be a SAHM! It was/ is very difficult for me to come to work and leave her each day but thankfully my MIL comes to the house to take care of her!

I would say that you will "know" within the first month or so.

Good luck!!
    Thanks!  I am hoping I will know as well. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    ccamccam member

I don't have this option either as we need my salary, but...is it a field you can get back into easily if you did not like being a SAHM?  Is going back part time an option?

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• Options
    I LOVE teaching. I finished my masters a few years ago and knew that teaching would be my career through kids.

Had DS last April and was SO torn at the end of summer. I couldn't stand the thought of leaving DS at just 4.5 months. I ended up going back to work part time (4 hours a day), and I just didn't feel as fulfilled.

This summer I've been home with DS and DH (also a teacher) and I have loved every second of it. I will be staying home this school year and probably next as well. I will eventually go back to the classroom, but for now, watching my kids learn and grow is more important to me :)

Hope this helps! Sorry for the novel!
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• Options
    It is amazing that you have the option!!  I'd been working in my career for 12 years when I had DS, I never thought about being a SAHM but in Canada you get the entire year off.  I went to lots of playdates and tried to get out as much as possible but after 9 months of being home I was ready to go back to work.  I was off the entire year but the last few months were hard, not that I don't love my son, I missed my job.  It was hard coming back at first but we were fortunate enough to find great day care so that in itself makes things easier.  I enjoy being able to go to the bathroom alone when I'm at work, having adult conversation and using my lunch hours to go work out or do what I want.  Some women love staying home, I just don't think it was for me.  You may love it!!  Either way doing whats best for your family is what counts.

It sucks that the US doesn't give a year of leave, I would have really been debating staying home or not if I hadn't had the entire year off.
    dancing animated GIF
    N14 November Siggy Challenge - Celebration
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerimageBabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I am so feeling you missnacholover! This is what's at the core of my 'Can't Sleep, Clowns Will Eat Me' post from the weekend.  I'm also moving ahead with the plan like I will come back, but I'm also planning on looking for other work while I'm out on leave. No answers for you, but lots of support and love.  I'll be watching this thread carefully for sure.
    CafeMom Tickers

N14 January Siggy Challenge - What Sucks About Work

• Options
    Thanks for the insight and experiences, all! 

@ccam - my industry is kind of techy, so I think if I was a SAHM by the time (hopeful) kid #2 went to school, I'd be out of the loop for 8-9ish years (assuming all goes well with our "Plan".  Ha.).  I think it may be kind of difficult to jump back in to a job at my current level/skillset.  I was laid off for a year in 2009 and I only recently started back at the same skill and salary level a year ago. 

I really want to see if PT is an option but don't know how to broach that with my supervisor.  AND, it'd almost be a wash with daycare costs. 

Adulthood is hard, man.

• Options
    I think the plan you have sounds good. 

Personally, I love my job, and being a teacher gives me the best of both worlds (I teach), when I am home for the summer I really value that time BUT I can't really see myself being a full time SAHM. It's just not for me, and I knew that. We financially couldn't have done it, anyway, but even with that I knew I didn't want to. 

DH is probably going to be switching jobs next year to something that will double his salary and even with that, I don't think I will ever SAH. It's just not for me. Plus, if you can, I would go back to work and pay down your loans and all of that so that you don't have to worry about it if you decide to SAH later.

• Options
    I would love this option. If it were feasible it'd be more likely for dh to be a sahd. My insurance benefits are better and I make more. However if dh did become a sahd he'd likely be a full time farmer, it'll be a few years before this is even a possibility though.

*curses our house & farm payment* :D

BFP#4 3/17/14 - rainbow Baby BOY arrived 11/10/14 !!

DX: Uterine Septum - Resection 9/5/13 || MTHFR Hetero A1298C || My Chart

image    image

• Options
    BTW, I also think when and how many kids you plan to have can factor into this, too. Do you plan to have more, and quickly? If so, you may as well SAH because daycare costs may start to eat at what salary you are making. Food for thought.

Oh, and I am not sure I would want to be home if my husband worked from home, either.

• Options
    I think the plan you have sounds good. 

Personally, I love my job, and being a teacher gives me the best of both worlds (I teach), when I am home for the summer I really value that time BUT I can't really see myself being a full time SAHM. It's just not for me, and I knew that. We financially couldn't have done it, anyway, but even with that I knew I didn't want to. 

DH is probably going to be switching jobs next year to something that will double his salary and even with that, I don't think I will ever SAH. It's just not for me. Plus, if you can, I would go back to work and pay down your loans and all of that so that you don't have to worry about it if you decide to SAH later.
    That's one of our scenarios as well.  I go back to work for a few years until Nacho 2.0 comes and then I stay home.  By then we'll have built up savings more, paid off more loans, DH will probably be making more, etc.

I just get totally overwhelmed by the thought of working full time and being a mommy.  I seriously don't know how women do it.

• Options
    kikimeemeekikimeemee member
    edited August 2014

This question baffles me, too.   For one thing, if you can still pay your bills while staying at home, whose to say that is "affording" life?  I believe technically I can 'afford' to stay home, but things would be tight.  Like OP said, vacations to Disney and Europe (where hubby's family lives) may be impossible then.  

Honest to goodness, our biggest expense is retirement.  We literally put in at least 40% of our income each month into retirement.  Our thought is... "God only knows who will help us when we are old people and can't work anymore."  I don't know that the US gov't will have enough money to take care for those of us who don't have pensions to rely on.  That is my biggest fear -- we are all stepping into new territory where the large majority won't have pensions.  What are all we old people going to do in 2050 when we are too old to work and haven't saved enough for retirement?!  I am a semi-rare millennial that obsesses over retirement, so I feel like that should be stated. 

So anyway, if I don't work, less money will go into retirement and that scares me and hubby.  This baby will be my first, so I'm going to try working full time after maternity leave.  If I feel uncomfortable about it, then we'll need to re-evaluate vacations and retirement.  I am very fortunate to have a consulting job where my hours are flexible, and often from home so I keep reminding myself of that.  Also, I'd like to note that I do enjoy my career and feel proud at how far I've come along.  It's exciting to think about staying in the field while having a family to progress my career.

Anyone else worry about retirement?   I so feel like a minority on the topic...

• Options

This is up in the air right now. I've always worked and the thought of me staying home is actually terrifying. I wish I knew one way or the other so I had time to prepare myself!

I'm obviously no help...just equally freaking out. GOOD LUCK!

• Options
    ccamccam member
    Thanks for the insight and experiences, all! 

@ccam - my industry is kind of techy, so I think if I was a SAHM by the time (hopeful) kid #2 went to school, I'd be out of the loop for 8-9ish years (assuming all goes well with our "Plan".  Ha.).  I think it may be kind of difficult to jump back in to a job at my current level/skillset.  I was laid off for a year in 2009 and I only recently started back at the same skill and salary level a year ago. 

I really want to see if PT is an option but don't know how to broach that with my supervisor.  AND, it'd almost be a wash with daycare costs

Adulthood is hard, man.

It is hard!

It would probably suck that it would be almost a wash with daycare, but it would keep you connected to your job/career and would allow you to, most likely, jump back in full time if you needed/wanted.  And daycare isn't forever and, for us at least, it goes down once our LOs hit 3 and we get a discount for #2.

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• Options
    This is definitely a tough one -- I would LOVE to be a SAHM, but we just built a new house before little peanut decided to surprise us. I also have an enormous amount of student loans. I think for us I need to for sure go back to work after peanut is born, but as we have more children...things might change. We could afford it now, but it would be tight...

I also feel better knowing the daycare that we are going to is super family oriented and very very big on open communication. For example, daily pictures of my little one will be sent and families rarely leave the daycare before the kiddos can fend for themselves because she loves the kids so much.

Ultimately, you need to make the decision that is best for you. If you are going to be miserable away from your LO, then be home - a Disney vacation isn't worth your day to day happiness! Hope you are able to make a decision!  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

While I will say that I would LOVE nothing more than to be a SAHM,  I have to admit that even if I had the choice,  I might not take it.

I know financially right now, its not feasible.  I will be coming back to work full time. 

However.......in saying that.......even if we could afford to do it, I am not sure I would like doing it.       I grew up on a dairy farm, started milking cows when I was 10, and got a "real" job as soon as I turned 18.   I have worked for the same company ever since.   I am now a supervisor and get paid salary.    Not sure I could handle being home all day, every day.

I think if DH worked from home, it would be even harder.   Its hard to live with people.  If we both take a week off together and don't go anywhere,  we are usually ready to kill each other by the end of the week.

I also like not feeling guilty for spending "his" money when I want to splurge on something silly.      I have a small amount of each check that goes into my own personal account.  I can use this money for whatever I want,  and there isn't a damn thing he can say, feel, or think about it.....lol.

Right now, we both work our asses off for what we have.   I have always been an independent person that can "take care of myself".......really not sure if I could mentally handle being a SAHM.    

It sounds like the most awesomest thing ever....but I totally understand your hesitation.  

Nov. '14 January Siggy : Work Sucks!

Me 32-DH 38

Married July 14, 2007  ----- TTC # 1 October 1, 2013
    BFP   March 7, 2014  -----  EDD November 17, 2014 ---- Baby boy born November 16, 2014

• Options
    Personally we can't afford to have both our kids in daycare just for me to work. It's going to be really hard but with really budgeting things and not splurging on other things we will be ok.
  • Options
    The decision was made for me when I had my first.  I was laid off the day I returned from maternity leave.  I looked for other jobs and even had a few interviews but nothing panned out.  By the time I got pregnant with my second, I had been staying home for 18 months and decided to go with the SAHM thing.  

However, I did end up getting a part time job and that helped not only with a little extra spending money but also giving me the motivation to get out of the house, talk to other adults and it was also good for my kids to be around other kids.
  • Options
    My husband has said it would be an option for me to stay home. He has a good salary and with the types of changes you mentioned above-it would totally be doable. The thing is, I don't want to give up what we make together. I make about 85% what he does. I like contributing. I like spending my own money on things he doesn't understand. I like my job. I'm also at a point in my career trajectory where I don't want to lose momentum.

Soooo, for me I've never really seriously considered staying home. But I am working with my job to move to 4 days a week which I think will give me a taste of both worlds-more time with baby but I still have the outlet and the paycheck.
  • Options
    @WildFlower810 - sounds like you have a lot of the same thought processes as me.  It's such a hard decision!!!

What do you do for work?

• Options
    It's not an option for us. I'm the major breadwinner right now, so we need my salary. As it is, it's gonna be tight while I'm on mat leave. But, even if I weren't, I don't think I'm the type to want to stay home. I was a stay at home wife for about 6 months and it was pure hell for me. And, as it is, by mid August, I'm itching to go back to school. I know it'll be different when LO gets here, but I just don't think it's me.
  • Options
    Here are the factors that made me decide to go back to work:

- I work in a small, professional field, and I would have trouble getting a job in my field again.  I couldn't just take a few years off - it could be 10 years before I found a good job again in my city. 
    - I have a pension at my job, and I'm not yet vested in it.  I'm in my late 30s, and saving for retirement is important to me.  I don't want to lose out on my pension, and if I stick with this employer, our retirement will be a lot easier (and we hopefully will be better able to help out our sons as young adults). 
    - I like my field (and for the most part, my job).  I like to work, and I need the fulfillment that comes from it.
    - Working gives us more disposable income so we don't have to worry about every single penny and we can send the kids to private school, which is important to us. . 
    - I think my relationship with DH would suffer if I didn't work - I think he would resent me for not pulling my weight with money and I would resent that he got the fulfillment of working when I was at home all day. 
     - DH currently works from home, so that would be too much togetherness for us. We managed during maternity leave - it was kind of nice, but in the long term, we need our space. 

Ideally, I would love to work 4 days a week, but still send DS to daycare 5 days.  I would use that day off to run all errands, clean the house, and do everything that is impossible to do with a toddler around.  That way, on the weekends, I could focus on having fun with DS rather than trying to do fun things with him and do a week's worth of chores in just two days (and usually only during his naptime). 

• Options
    @WildFlower810 - sounds like you have a lot of the same thought processes as me.  It's such a hard decision!!!

What do you do for work?
    I am an American Sign Language interpreter. The good part is that my field won't drastically change over just a few years... but the bad news is that I lose my skills if I don't use them often.
    Very cool!  I know my name in ASL but that's about it.  :)

@mb314 - one good thing is that I can work 4 10s (which I currently do).  However, I'm not sure how that would work with BF a baby in the mornings, I'm not willing to get up any earlier than I have to.  But my job is flexible so I could work 4 9s and a half day on Fridays.  So that is good.

DH and I have discussed that if I do go back to work, we will definitely get a cleaning person.  So that is good.  I mean, we'll have day to day chores, but at least I/we won't have to do the major weekend clean and can focus on family time.

@KUinCBUS - thank you for the honest answer!  I feel like I'd feel similar that some days would get very tedious.  I could probably freelance, but that would involve getting the software (I do Geographic Info Systems), which is $$$$ for the highest level license. 

• Options
    Right now I'm planning to go back to work. This would allow us to save for retirement and to buy a new house on two salaries within the next year or so. (We'd obviously buy based on DH salary, but hope having two salaries will look better on applications.)

And this might sound mercenary, but we also hope to get another kid out of my current health benefits. I pay practically nothing for our insurance, so that's a big plus. And it would hopeful only be another year or so of work as we want to start trying again when this little man turns one.

That being said, if I'm back at work for a while and find it too hard to do, DH is open to letting me stay home. I'd like to work part time or on a freelance basis, but haven't figured out how to do that yet.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think you've got a good plan right now, but I will warn you, it is likely that during your maternity leave you will not want to go back to work.  When baby is a few weeks old, you are still getting the hang of a routine and you won't even be able to think about work.  And if you do go back, the first day/week/month is hard.

However, once you do, you'll find that you enjoy simple pleasures such as adult conversations and peeing alone.  Being productive, your old self; life gets easier, you adjust.  Baby is just fine without you there 24/7.

This is just my personal experience.  I had to go back to a job I did not particularly care for with DD.  By the time I got home it was dinner-bath-bed within an hour or two.  Going back this time will be part time, and its something I love doing.  Part time for me is the perfect balance of both worlds.  I know you said that may not be possible for you, but its a great option to still do what you like outside of being a mommy, without being overwhelmed.  

I know this is a tough ass decision and I haven't helped at all.  I just wanted you to know it may not be any easier to make while on maternity leave!  But either way, it all works out.  Good luck!
  • Options
    I was a stay at home mom with DD and loved it! I also plan to be a SAHM after DD is born:)
    Also, alot of mortgage compaines/banks require you to have a job for your name to be on the loan papers.
  • Options
    With first DD being a SAHM didn't even come up when I was pregnant. We assumed I would find a job after I had her. I did, of course, and went back to work when she was about 3 months old. Survived 9/15-11/1 crying almost daily, so her dad and I found a way to make it work. Unfortunately this time that doesn't even look to be an option. At the same time, I'm also where you are. Good career, time into the company, good standing, good benefits...it would be hard to find what I have now if I were to leave. :-/ I think the decision will come naturally for you after baby is here (:
  • Options
    I became a SAHM after I was laid off and a few years later after DD turned 1, I got a independent contractor job as a conference coordinator and became a WHAM. I was so bored SAH but it was also hard on me dropping DS off at daycare, going to work, then home. I appreciate that I can SAH for the kids, get some flexibility to my schedule, and WAH for my sanity and mentality.

@WildFlower810‌ FI is also an ASL interpreter. \m/ I know how tough it is to build up the skills for this career, the physical strains and then face the possibility of losing skills if you don't use it plus maintain state/national certifications too! I hope that you can at least maintain your skills at some point if you decide to SAH. Lucky thing about interpreting - if skills/certification are maintained, you can easily get back in the workforce in a variety of settings if SAH doesn't work out. ;) ASL interpreters are always needed anyplace, anywhere.
  • Options
    My thought would be that you don't need to make that decision now. Wait until you are on maternity leave for a few weeks and decide if that is something you could see yourself doing every day.

My decision was easy: I can't imagine a life without the independence of leaving my house and working with adults every day. Plus I make significantly more money than DH and while it would be possible, it would not be comfortable to make that move.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have done both. Before having DS and even thru my entire pregnancy I said I could not be a SAHM. I worked really hard for my career, 7 yrs of college (I have a masters), 5600hrs of intership hours logged, and 7 professional exams to become liscensed in my field. During maternity leave I did a complete 180 and really wanted to do the SAHM thing.

At the time we lived 14hrs and 10hrs away from family and I wasnt happy with my position. DH and I made roughly the same amount and were living of his salary and about 1/3 of mine. The other 2/3 of my salary was paying off my student loans and going into savings. I ended up going back to work 3 months while DH looked for a better paying job closer to our families.

After we moved back home I stayed at home from when DS was 6 months till he was 16 months. I enjoyed it at first but after about 6 months I realized my first instinct was right and it was just not in my nature. I needed that professional aspect to feel like I was whole.

I was really picky about what types of firms I applued to when returning to work and am much happier now with my work-family balance. I was super fortunate to find an extremely family friendly firm that valued what I brought to the table and now I am technically the bread winner in our family.

That being said now that we will have 2 children we have started to re-evaluate my time spent working outside of the home. My husband is now at the point in his career where he is looking to move into the supervisor position so he will be looking to make another career move this winter (his profeasion tends to only hire Oct-March). If he finds something that surpasses my salary, I will not return to work but will do consulting so that I can pick and choose how much time I spend working and what projects I take on. If he does not find anything this winter I will return to my current position but scale back to 4 days a week and 32hrs.

All that was a long winded way to say you might still not know 100% one way or the other even during your maternity leave or you may make one choice and decide later down the road it wasn't what you thought it would be and thats okay too.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My situation is weird, being a doctoral student. I was going to WFH only in the spring but changed my mind after spending the latter half of the summer home all day. I got super depressed and stir crazy, so unless there are complications with the birth I will do the full time student/graduate assistant thing in the spring. My advisor has given me her blessing to bring LO to campus. We will see how it goes.

All that to say, everyone is different. With DH's new job he took in June, his salary got bumped by 30%. He told me I could do whatever I wanted with regard to school and work, and I ultimately decided that I want to stay plugged in to my research and to campus as much as I can. I'm happier that way.

Did y'all decide if you are staying in the Raleigh area or moving to OBX? I may have missed this.

• Options
    I knew I wanted to stay home, but didn't realize how much so until dd was born. I was working in my masters and had just started my internship about 2 months before she was born. After a couple weeks of her being home I couldn't stand the thought of leaving her with someone else to go to my internship, so I luckily reworked things to intern in the evenings when DH could be with her. Part of this I know is because I was working with kids who had been severely abused and had Mental health problems, and I couldn't look at dd without feeling like I would be giving up the most precious gift by leaving her. Now I tutor in the evenings a couple times a week, which gives me a baby break and helps pay my student loans, and I'll keep doing this after dd2 makes her appearance.

I think you'll know what you want to do after LO comes along, but I just wanted to add a SAHM caution. When you SAH you don't get some of the built-in fulfillment that comes from working a job/career: no deadlines to me, performance reviews To rock, client feedback to reinforce your worth. That doesn't mean staying home isn't fulfilling though. You'll need to find ways to reward yourself for the progress you make as a human. I think this makes the adjustment hard though.

Also, if you did SAH and freelance, could you write off the $$$$ software in your taxes? I suck at that sort of thing, so maybe I'm totally wrong, but I'd imagine you could.
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat, financially we can afford for me to stay home even though at the moment I make about 85 percent of what he makes, but do I want to be home every single day? me staying home will definitely be felt, but not impossible. However, I will say this.. . I went back back to work when ds was 4 months old and it was the hardest decision I ever made. I found that working full time and commuting etc was not for me. I was stressed, my life was in chaos, I hated it. I was no longer fulfilled by work, so I even took a promotion to see if that would make me happier. It didn't. My doc took me off work a few weeks ago for some things so I've been home, but this time it's terrifying to to think of actually being home permanently even though that's what I have wanted for a long time. I mostly worry about the social aspect though, since we we don't know a lot of people in our town (again because I work full time and haven't had a chance to meet other moms). I think once I'm home and have a chance to get get involved in the community, spend time volunteering and meet other women, I will be fine. But I know how hard this decision is!
  • Options
    My situation is weird, being a doctoral student. I was going to WFH only in the spring but changed my mind after spending the latter half of the summer home all day. I got super depressed and stir crazy, so unless there are complications with the birth I will do the full time student/graduate assistant thing in the spring. My advisor has given me her blessing to bring LO to campus. We will see how it goes. All that to say, everyone is different. With DH's new job he took in June, his salary got bumped by 30%. He told me I could do whatever I wanted with regard to school and work, and I ultimately decided that I want to stay plugged in to my research and to campus as much as I can. I'm happier that way. Did y'all decide if you are staying in the Raleigh area or moving to OBX? I may have missed this.
    We are most likely going to stay in Raleigh.  Just feel that there are more opportunities here for us and LO.  As much as we love the OBX and would love to move back there, we feel the more responsible thing is to stick around and be grown ups.  :)

Thank you all for the responses.  It really is a tough decision.  I am kind of of the mindset that there isn't a "wrong" answer here.  It's just a matter of finding a balance between my happiness, LO's well being, and what works best for our family. 

• Options

I never thought I'd want to be a SAHM, so we never planned for it.  Once I had DD, I wished we had done things differently.  I went back to work full-time for about 7 months.  I just couldn't let go of wanting more time with DD.  After being back at work for 7 months, I was lucky enough to go to a four day work schedule.  I loved having one extra day with her.  Once this little one gets here, I'm hoping to go to a three day work schedule.  

I will make a little bit more than the cost of daycare, so DH thinks I should just stay home, but my argument is that 1.  Money is money and if I'm making more than we are paying for daycare, it makes sense for me to work.  2.  It's nice to have the adult interaction, be able to run errands on my lunch, get time away from the kid(s).  And 3.  I don't want to get out of my field entirely.  I'm hoping that by the time the kids are in school, I would switch my schedule to 5 days a week, reduced hours so that I'm working the same amount, but I'll be able to drop off and pick up the kids.  In my opinion, I have the best of both worlds, but everyone is different and our situation is what's best for our family.

If you decide to ask for PT @missnacholover, I would make up a proposal (in writing or not, depending on how professional your company is).  Give them a run down of how you and your company will benefit from you going PT.  My theory is, it doesn't hurt to ask.  The worst they can do is say no.  Good luck with whatever you decide!     

• Options

I never thought I'd want to be a SAHM, so we never planned for it.  Once I had DD, I wished we had done things differently.  I went back to work full-time for about 7 months.  I just couldn't let go of wanting more time with DD.  After being back at work for 7 months, I was lucky enough to go to a four day work schedule.  I loved having one extra day with her.  Once this little one gets here, I'm hoping to go to a three day work schedule.  

I will make a little bit more than the cost of daycare, so DH thinks I should just stay home, but my argument is that 1.  Money is money and if I'm making more than we are paying for daycare, it makes sense for me to work.  2.  It's nice to have the adult interaction, be able to run errands on my lunch, get time away from the kid(s).  And 3.  I don't want to get out of my field entirely.  I'm hoping that by the time the kids are in school, I would switch my schedule to 5 days a week, reduced hours so that I'm working the same amount, but I'll be able to drop off and pick up the kids.  In my opinion, I have the best of both worlds, but everyone is different and our situation is what's best for our family.

If you decide to ask for PT @missnacholover, I would make up a proposal (in writing or not, depending on how professional your company is).  Give them a run down of how you and your company will benefit from you going PT.  My theory is, it doesn't hurt to ask.  The worst they can do is say no.  Good luck with whatever you decide!     

Thank you!  I think that if I do end up coming back FT and it just isn't working out, I will be asking about Part time options, with the thought that if that's not an option, I will leave all together. 

• Options
    I am going to be a stay at home mom. We live in a very expensive daycare area and my paycheck just wouldn't make sense when you take into account commuting costs, daycare etc. It's always something that I had hoped would be financially possible for our family. I do of course worry what years out of the corporate world will do to my career but I realize that I am never stuck in any situation and if it's not working staying with my son then we can always take a look at the situation and go from there. I do also worry about the adult interaction and other things but again I really won't know until he is here and we are going through our day to day. Best of luck with whatever decision you make and remember that it doesn't have to be forever.
  • Options
    I'm very grateful for my job.  That being said, if I had the option, I would be a SAHM, or at least drop down to part time,  but financially, we just can't afford it.  That doesn't mean that being a SAHM is for everyone.  I think it's a very personal decision (and there isn't necessarily a wrong one if you can afford to do either), and you'll probably "just know" when the time comes what the right option is for you.  I hope that everything works out well for you and that you're able to make a decision that you can be happiest with!   :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"