October 2014 Moms

No shower...kinda hurt

13»

Re: No shower...kinda hurt

• Loading the player...
  • Zombie Taylor resurrects a Zombie Thread!!

I'm not sure I could do that even not pregnant, but I sat here staring at that TS gif for a minute picturing myself trying to sit up like that with this basketball on my front. Would never ever happen...wait!...nope, never. :-\"
    imageimage
  • @Emerald27‌ But now you want to try it, don't you?

imageimageimage
  • @Emerald27‌ But now you want to try it, don't you?

Maybe if my hips, butt, and back hurt a little less.

...but kinda, yeah. ;)
    imageimage
  • The pelvic thrust at the end is the icing on the cake.

Dying laughing at queefing in the microphone. =))
  • I used to be able to do that. Back before I had children and got old.

@Saragoeswest‌ I Think You Could Do This now. (I don't know why my phone thinks all those words need capitalization) We saw your maternity pics and you are quite bendy even while pregnant.
  • @BreandMikewedding‌ Oooh I appreciate your vote of confidence. I am tempted to try. Especially if there is a reward at the end. Like ice cream.

imageimageimage
  • I hate this thread ......
  • Nicb13 said:
    krysgreg said:
     I have read negative feelings can run off on the baby and can affect there personality and who they become.

Oh god OP please do not listen to this. JFC.

If you throw out a line like that, you need to back it up with a link to a source because that is just BS.

:))

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• Eastie156 said:

Nicb13 said:

krysgreg said:

I have read negative feelings can run off on the baby and can affect there personality and who they become.

If you throw out a line like that, you need to back it up with a link to a source because that is just BS.

Dr. Wadhwa, who is co-editing a special issue of scientific papers on pregnancy and stress to be published in Health Psychology next year. "At each stage of development, the organism uses cues from its environment to decide how best to construct itself within the parameters of its genes."

Stress is an example of how a fetus responds to stimuli in the womb and adapts physiologically. "When the mother is stressed, several biological changes occur, including elevation of stress hormones and increased likelihood of intrauterine infection," Dr. Wadhwa says. "The fetus builds itself permanently to deal with this kind of high-stress environment, and once it's born may be at greater risk for a whole bunch of stress-related pathologies."

Pre-term births and low birth weight are among the most recognized effects of maternal stress during pregnancy, established over nearly two decades of animal and human research. Recent studies by Dr. Wadhwa and colleagues suggest that women who experience high levels of psychological stress are significantly more likely to deliver pre-term. Typically, one in 10 women delivers
    pre-term (before 37 weeks).

I completely stand by what I said. :-B
  • @Nicb13.. I know that. But disregarding the fact stress can effect your baby in the womb, is what I was defending. And I don't find it funny. I never told op it would. I just brought up the fact that it's not useful to stress about the small things.
  • bancheta86bancheta86 member
    edited September 2014
    Most of these comments are horrible. All of you want to have a shower I've never met a woman that doesn't. It's not your 4th it's your second!! It's your first pregnancy! I would talk to my mom I would let her know you want a get together to celebrate this new baby. Maybe peopl don't think you want one bc you say this is your 4th. Who cares if she wants diapers or cute outfits or bottles!! That doesn't mean she's selfish or just wants stuff!! God alot of you women sound so old, bitter and horrible!!
  • edited September 2014
    krysgreg said:
    Nicb13 said:
    krysgreg said:

Dr. Wadhwa, who is co-editing a special issue of scientific papers on pregnancy and stress to be published in Health Psychology next year. "At each stage of development, the organism uses cues from its environment to decide how best to construct itself within the parameters of its genes." Stress is an example of how a fetus responds to stimuli in the womb and adapts physiologically. "When the mother is stressed, several biological changes occur, including elevation of stress hormones and increased likelihood of intrauterine infection," Dr. Wadhwa says. "The fetus builds itself permanently to deal with this kind of high-stress environment, and once it's born may be at greater risk for a whole bunch of stress-related pathologies." Pre-term births and low birth weight are among the most recognized effects of maternal stress during pregnancy, established over nearly two decades of animal and human research. Recent studies by Dr. Wadhwa and colleagues suggest that women who experience high levels of psychological stress are significantly more likely to deliver pre-term. Typically, one in 10 women delivers pre-term (before 37 weeks). I completely stand by what I said. :-B
    I googled  Dr. Wadhwa and could not find anything that supports this claim/mention of this article.That is neither here nor there though. Stress related pathology is not the same as personality development. is unwarranted stress bad for you? Yes, but it will not mess your unborn child up. If it was that bad, hormones would balance out and  pregnant woman would never be irrational. And if you really believe that stress will harm your LO, why would you frequent a thread where others have continuously debated a topic with you causing you to stress enough to defend yourself?
  • FamousEa said:
    Most of these comments are horrible. All of you want to have a shower I've never met a woman that doesn't. It's not your 4th it's your second!! It's your first pregnancy! I would talk to my mom I would let her know you want a get together to celebrate this new baby. Maybe peopl don't think you want one bc you say this is your 4th. Who cares if she wants diapers or cute outfits or bottles!! That doesn't mean she's selfish or just wants stuff!! God alot of you women sound so old, bitter and horrible!!
    Dude. This thread is old. Also do we play bingo on this board? Old,bitter, horrible we are just missing "I feel sorry for your children and husbands"
    I kinda feel sorry for my husband...j/s!
  • lrobi13 said:

FamousEa said:

Dude. This thread is old.

Also do we play bingo on this board? Old,bitter, horrible we are just missing "I feel sorry for your children and husbands"

I kinda feel sorry for my husband...j/s!

I often feel sorry for both my children and my husband! Lol

• Nicb13 said:
    krysgreg said:
    I have had a baby shower with both of my children ..... My husband threw a beer and BBQ HUGE bash at OUR house and my sister hosted it. She is busy and I did most of the planning an shopping for our party. I think to each is it's own. Have your husband throw you a dinner party. You deserve to feel like your special time is celebrated no matter how many times you conceive. :) hey but this is just my opinion. I'm sorry it has you down. But try to perk up I have read negative feelings can run off on the baby and can affect there personality and who they become.

Exactly! @krysgreg was not exactly wrong - apparently there have been studies linking prenatal stress to brain development in fetuses (see: https://dana.org/Cerebrum/2012/The_Role_of_Stress_in_Brain_Development__The_Gestational_Environment’s_Long-Term_Effects_on_the_Brain/). BUT to make a generalized and overarching statement that negative feelings can affect personality and who the baby becomes is simply irresponsible and wrong. If you can read through all the technical jargon in the above link - its major stress, not I'm unhappy because I didn't have a shower. And that stress is linked not to personality but brain development and it's studies, so not definitive, just a point of view by certain researchers. 

On that note - I have to say - that article does scare me a bit - as I've had a lot of real stress - work stuff, my cat being super sick, my mom developing cancer - and I've had days where I'm a hot crying, screaming mess and that scares me. Hoping - what they say about pregnant women having different stress receptors due to hormones and stress being dampened quite a bit is true.

Anyways - didn't mean to hijack post with that article - just agreeing with @Nicb13 - that if you're going to make a statement like the above, please clarify what you mean - be specific and provide evidence - no need to offer up things that unnnecessarily scare FTMs and others.

Lilypie - (urRB)

• Emerald27 said:
    @Emerald27‌ But now you want to try it, don't you?
    Maybe if my hips, butt, and back hurt a little less. ...but kinda, yeah. ;)
    Me too....not sure why because it looks like torture for a 3rd trimester pregnant woman and yet, tempted.

Lilypie - (urRB)

•  

I am actually truly offended.  As the token cougar on this board, I am actually old.  That really hurt.

Weaky face

Me too! - As an older soon to be mom - I have to say one does not have to be old to be bitter - you can be young and bitter too :). I've said nothing about the shower stuff - as I was too busy commenting on the lack of medical evidence (or links to article synopsis pasted into this thread) generalized claims of stress and baby's personality, But now I shall comment on shower - I am a FTM I had a wonderful shower - and people were uber generous but what made the shower for me was that my closest friends, all of whom live far away all came out here and spent the weekend and I got to hang with them Friday evening through Sunday and that was what was awesome. None of them planned it - my SIL and MIL planned it bc they are local and aside from conferring with me on location (we decided to do it at my house) and getting addresses, they ran with it and that was great. Did I expect it - nope - but was so flattered when they offered. I also helped plan a few FTM showers for my friends and it can be a lot of work. Many mom's only have the one - some have a 2nd, some even a 3rd but I agree with other PPs that it is usually for the first child... and I also agree that really its not a big deal - most impt, is if you want to celebrate this baby - I'm sure all of your family and friends will want to celebrate with you- so celebrate the baby once it is born - as other PPs stated! My two cents anyways.

Lilypie - (urRB)

• uksteph11 said:
    uksteph11 said:

I don't think there is ever a reason for a second shower.  I do find it hilarious how many people are flaming the thought of throwing your own shower and mocking the idea that stress during pregnancy is an issue.  Not too long ago many of you were supporting someone who planned her own shower and supported her because of all of the stress she had to go through with her shower. 

Just go. 

Edited because I'm trying to calm my tits.
    I figured I would get such a response.  Not really sure why you are upset.  I said nothing that was not a fact. 
    Sure you did. There's nothing wrong with being part of the PLANNING of your own shower. But being the HOST? Yeah, there's something wrong with that. Also, I think you should probably just STFU.
    I rarely get into these back and forths - but for some reason today I am - I agree - there's a big difference between planning and hosting.

Lilypie - (urRB)

• FamousEa said:
    I can't stop laughing at the doe pictures =))

Lilypie - (urRB)

• krysgreg said:
    I haven't read the rest of the thread because I stopped here to see what you were talking about. Feeling sad about not having a baby shower/sprinkle/party is not the same as someone dying, a natural disaster, etc. And even in the article, it says mild-moderate stress is good!

Moderate stress versus chronic or severe stress—
    Some studies have shown that mild to
    moderate levels of stress
    during pregnancy might actually be good for the baby, resulting in
    healthier immune systems and better motor development. More research is needed before firm
    conclusions can be drawn, but it may be that
    mild to moderate amounts of stress during
    pregnancy help prepare the baby for la
    ter stressors, such as birth.
    Exactly!!

Lilypie - (urRB)

• Maybe it's a surprise party. I was in the same boat. And Sunday was totally surprised. I had no idea.
  • I can't resist bumping this one.
  • Gurl, how was your shower?
  • All these memorable threads are making me feel like I must still be pregnant...

Nope, just the three bowls of Thai I had for dinner. Damn you c section tummy! Pull that stomach back in!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"