Working Moms
Options

Resume Help

Resume Q's for you all:

1. Does anyone still do cover letters? The only reason I was thinking of doing one was because I'm applying for a remote position and I figured I could mention in my cover letter I have been working remote for 3 years.

2. I've been promoted twice in the 5 years I've been in my position, but my job responsibilities have not changed. I think it looks better to bullet all my experience instead of trying to parse my experience to fit within my job titles. But then it looks like I haven't been promoted in 5 years. Is there a better way to note this on my resume, or is it ok to leave it off and mention in an interview?

3. Any other fantastic resume tips :)

DD Nov 2010 ~ DS June 2012

Re: Resume Help

• Options
    Thanks @beaubecca I do have a summary of qualifications, and I will see how listing out my titles looks. My company has horrible job titles that are confusing (My 'senior' position was actually my lowest position). I also have a spot for the recognitions I have received, I could stick it there as well.
    DD Nov 2010 ~ DS June 2012
  • Options
    I agree @beaubecca on #2.  That is most often how I have seen them.  I skim cover letters but mainly to see their communication style as opposed to actual content.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    As a recruiter I very rarely read cover letters if I even receive them at all. As an applicant, I would write one to be safe and because I believe I can explain things much better there than in my resume. So my vote would be to write it jic the hiring manager does read it -- it's really their personal preference.

As far as skills go - that is certainly helpful information especially if I am looking for a specific database or something like that. However, what will truly make your resume look good is highlighting your accomplishments. For example: if you lowered costs for something or increased revenue, etc. point those things out, BUT be prepared to discuss HOW you did those things. And if you really had nothing to do with the accomplishments, don't list them. It becomes very obvious when I ask you "so how did you go about lowering the cost of ____" and you are grasping for anything to make it look like you did more.

Married DH 5/28/08
    DS Born 4/13/11
    DD Born 3/38/15

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think that it is better to err on the side of caution w/ cover letters and just include the most relevant reasons you're interested & qualified. No one will be upset if you submit one and they dont bother to look but the ones who do care & want to see one will be upset if there isn't one, kwim?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"