August 2014 Moms
Options

Will you give your LO a pacifier?

camichalskicamichalski member
edited August 2014 in August 2014 Moms
I am on the fence about this. Ever since i met with a lc I have been very successfully breast feeding but my lo only wants the boob all hours of the day. When I was pumping he would be fine with just a feeding every 4 or so hours. I am pretty sure half the time he only wants me for comfort. Give me your thoughts!

Will you give your LO a pacifier? 208 votes

yes
71% 149 votes
no
8% 18 votes
special snowflake
5% 12 votes
show me the answers!!
13% 29 votes

Re: Will you give your LO a pacifier?

• Options
    LO was a great latcher so at day 8 I started giving the pacifier only at night. At 2 wks he started getting it whenever necessary and have not had any issues thankfully. He's 17 days now and breast feeds awesome and sooths w the paci. I'd rather he use the paci to sooth than become a thumb sucker.
  • Options
    There are times when she's up and cries for no reason. So i give her a paci to help sooth her so I can get some decent sleep. She gotten to the point that she only gets the paci in the morn, though DS and my my niece want to give it to her all the time whether she needs it or not.
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I said yes but I formula feed. My LO needs of to soothe. She just wants to suck all the gime
  • Options
    We give him one occasionally. Started in the middle of the night during diapr changes so he wouldn't wake DD with his screams. Now he gets it occassionally more often.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I saw the LC when DS was 6 days old, and she said we could give him one. I feel like he'd never leave the boob if we didn't give him one. He still latches great, and like others have said in other threads, you can take away a pacifier, but you can't take away a hand/fingers.

TTC Since 6/13
    BFP 1: 6/16/13  EDD: 3/2/14  MMC: 8/26/13
    BFP 2: 11/16/13 EDD: 8/3/14
    Baby Brody born 8/1/14!!!

• Options
    I EBF and give a pacifier. No confusion. I did not want to end up being a human pacifier like I was with DS1. I don't have the time since I have two kids now.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I was also on the fence. But I asked myself why make us both suffer when he just wants something to suck on? Mind you, he is a good latcher & my supply is fine. Best decision ever.
    TTC #1 since August 2011 w/ unexplained IF
    09/12-11/13: 3 TIs, 3 IUIs, ICSI/PGS IVF & 2 FETs
    08/14: Our little miracle has FINALLY arrived - 3 years after we started trying!
  • Options
    I'm FF so not exactly able to give advice regarding pacis and BF but I have noticed a difference between my DD and the new baby. DD never liked the paci...she spit it out right away and that never changed. She also never started on her hands or thumb. My DS is a sucker. He sucks on anything that's around his face whether he's hungry or not. He sucks on his hands and blankets or his sleeper/clothes. He loves his bink and I've been giving it to him between feedings or if he's worked up. It must just be a comfort thing. It makes me a little nervous because it will just be one more thing we have to ween him from when the time comes. I always considered myself lucky with DD not taking a bink because we didn't have to eventually take it from her. I hate seeing kids with one sticking out of their face when they are clearly too old for it. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Mirena removed 11/10/11. BFP 02/20/13 - MMC discovered 4/17/13 @ 11w4d. 
    BFP 12/14/13, EDD 8/21/14.It's a BOY! DS born 8/15/14.

• Options
    Yup. We are a paci loving family.

• Options
    My LO sucks to soothe, so I gave her a paci. Before I gave it to her she either sucked her fingers or my finger...and I wasn't into being a human pacifier all night long. She is latching fine and nurses plenty, but sometimes she stirs in her sleep and she needs to suck for a minute or two. In the future, I would much rather break her of the paci than break her of her thumbs or fingers.
    TTC Since January 2012 Me:37 DH:34      DX July 2013: Unexplained Infertility      New DX Dec 2013: DOR
    BFP#1 6/4/12 EDD 2/13/13 M/C 6/6/12  BFP#2 2/21/13 EDD 11/3/13 M/C 2/26/13 BFP#3 C/P
    4 rounds of clomid, 2 with IUI = BFN
    November/December Retesting/Natural Cycle = Surprise BFP @ 11dpo! Beta#1 76.6@13dpo Beta #2 276@15dpo u/s#1 6w2d hb113 u/s#2 8w2d, measuring 8w4d hb168! 10w2d hb171 12w3d Verifi results are in and good! EDD 8/23 Our Baby Girl Rainbow Baby born 8/20/2014!!!
    Um...what? BFP 11/2/15!?! EDD 7/4/16
  • Options
    All pacis here. Hoping DS is like big sis and just not want it anymore around 6 months.

photo 63d081b2-beb9-4486-ae4e-de648860b72c_zpsa8e37ee8.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We started her day one. It's my life saver.
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    @Robinischo‌ this was my LO as well. But we have kept offering it to her and she has started to take it more.

Its great for helping her get to sleep instead of me nursing her to sleep. It falls out when she is calm and we leave it and she has no issues. I breastfeed and pump and she hasnt had any latch problems.
  • Options

I said no.  I'm not against it, we did use it for a bit with my first and second.  My first used it the first 6 or 7 months, then lost interest.  My second only used it for a few weeks early on, and never really liked it.

I figure this time around I won't even bother trying.  He's really not a big crier...and he doesn't want my boob constantly either.  So... I don't see a need for it right now.  We'll see if things change, but I'd rather avoid it at this point.

son#1 born 6/2010

son#2 born 4/2012

son#3 born 7/2014

• Options
    I tried on day 3 in the middle of one of her comfort nursing sessions. She won't take one.

Pregnancy Ticker

Zoe Nicole: 8/21/14

Due again: 1/17/18

• Options
    SS here. So far I haven't, I'd rather not but if he really needs one later on I'll consider offering one. The thought of being pacifier police doesn't sound fun to me :/
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    This one spent 3 hours sucking on me in the hospital the second she came out. She had a great latch, so she got a soother the moment we got home. She uses it mostly after a feed when she's sleepy and just flutter sucking/ not swallowing milk. No nipple confusion here. If anything, her latch has improved.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Exactly what @Rosebean‌ said. So far, all of mine have been oral soothers and wanted nothing but my boob 24/7 and I just can't do that. She doesn't really like the paci yet, but she will take it for a little bit.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    I just got her to take one today :)

first son stillborn 7/20/13 at 39 weeks due to Acute Fatty Liver of Pregnancy
    It's a girl! Baby Anna was born August 3, 2014!

• Options
    Still an inside baby 40 + 4 days (ultrasound and my timetable) or 40 + 2 according to OBs estimate. I will give LO a pacifier if he/she needs one, just for soothing, although if baby is like me he/she won't want it at all. We shall see how things go!
  • Options
    I've been trying but so far no luck with him liking it.

Goob 01/26/12
    Olliekazam 08/18/14

• Options
    I voted special snowflake because I'm also on the fence about it (inside baby). My new school of thought is to roll with the punches - If I feel like we need it, we will use it. But I'm not going to introduce it unless I feel there is a need.
    BabyFruit Ticker

BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    I have offered it to DS since the beginning, but he rarely takes it.
  • Options
    She hasn't really taken to it so far; she prefers to comfort nurse (go figure). But our pediatrician recommended the Philips Avent Soothie pacifier today, which I guess is what they use in hospitals, and she actually took it for the first time, albeit only for about a minute. So I guess we'll see if she continues to come around.
    I'm being featured in a new pregnancy/motherhood blog during the month of October, so if you ever wanted to know more about my pregnancy, birth, and motherhood experiences than anyone ever should, check out my posts in the link below! :)

• Options
    I haven't offered one to her yet, but she good about not being attached to my boob 24/7. I have a couple round soothies and a couple nuk orthodontic shape.

my son had a pacifier in the hospital, night 2 he literally wouldn't let go without screaming like a banshee! He comfort nursed on me a lot, and used the paci sparingly for my H or to start naps at DC. We threw them out when he started a new DC at 15 months, he never cared. So if she starts "needing" one I'm not opposed to them, but I will try to wean her off around a year, whether she's still nursing or not
  • Options
    I don't. It's just another thing to wean her from.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm the mother who asked for a soothie for this LO in the delivery room. lol  I think I surprised the nurse but she agreed it was worth a try after DD nurse through 3 rounds of 20 mins on each side.  I wouldn't have had the confidence to do it this early with baby #1 but this baby latched so well and nursed with no issue that I wasn't worried.  I got a few comments from nurses who were surprised I'd gotten one so early, but when I pointed out that it hadn't caused an issue yet, they agreed with me. 

FWIW, if you are worried, it's always been easy for me to figure out if a baby was to soothe or to nurse.  Soothing babies will take the paci (usually), even if you have to keep your finger in the middle of the soothie until they get a good latch on it.  Hungry babies are obviously rooting and will not be content with a paci.  This is based on my experience alone, but once I realized this, I've never worried about introducing a paci. 

My kids have also given up their soothies around 4-6 months because that's when that strong sucking reflex goes away.  Once they no longer needed them after feedings or to calm down in those early months, we eased them away. My DD#1 is now hooked on a Nuk but that's a problem that came much later (around 2 years) and is resulting from a medical stressor. 
    Lucas Arlo - 2/26/10, Cordelia Jane - 1/20/12 
    #3 is due 8/27/14

imageimage
  • Options
    We got one in the hospital and DS loves it. It calms him down when changing his diaper or getting a bath or even right before a feeding(: it's really nice. He only likes one specific one however, so we try to keep an extra one that's identical on us at all times just in case! He would comfort nurse when we were still latching and he would feed then stay on for another 30mins to pacify himself to sleep. It was horrible trying to sleep. So now we pump and use the paci!(:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"