Working Moms

HELP!! Holiday pay issues!! UK

mummybashymummybashy member
edited August 2014 in Working Moms
Hi I need some advice..
My employer has told me she would like to pay my holiday pay while I'm actually on maternity leave. So I'd be receiving holiday pay along side my maternity allowance?? It would only be for 3 weeks but that extra income I was hoping could extent my leave for an extra 3 weeks.

Re: HELP!! Holiday pay issues!! UK

• I have no idea how these situations work in the UK, but if your boss wants to do this, it seems like a great benefit to you.  Are you asking if it's legal for her to do so?  For that question, I'd ask your HR department.
    imageimage
  • HobbityBarbHobbityBarb member
    edited August 2014
    One possible down-side I can think of, is that if she pays you holiday pay as part of your maternity leave, that could mean you'd be without any holiday allowance when you go back.
    2 children - DD born Dec 2004, DS born Jan 2007
    British born, emigrated to Canada 2006
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the replies.. I want to know if it's legal to do so. I want to take my holiday either before or after my maternity leave ends to extent my time off but she doesn't want me to do this. She wants me to be paid my holiday whilst I'm already off meaning I won't be gaining any more actual time off work. I don't have a HR apartment as I work in a small hairdressers and from past experience they are able to get away with so much. I don't want to loose out. I have a 3 year old and went back sooner because I felt pressured to and I won't let that happen again.
  • kikimeemeekikimeemee member
    edited August 2014
    It's very common in the US that employers have policies so that people (women) cannot extend their leave longer than our 12 week Federal Law for maternity. Don't you get like 6 months off in the UK? We Americans are prob pointless in commenting here.

I'm so sorry you may not get your wish. I can relate to wanting more time off!
  • My other worry is that you may find your maternity pay docked by the amount of extra you get. Ask the Citizen's Advice Bureau - they might be able to help you figure everything out:

2 children - DD born Dec 2004, DS born Jan 2007
    British born, emigrated to Canada 2006
  • I'm in Canada and I'm 99% sure that is not allowed.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"