Pregnant after IF

Estrogen Q and PIO tips

I promise I won't be crazy question girl...but I think I drove my nurse crazy with my last round of questions, so maybe you can help.  This is probably more for you IVF ladies...

If you were on E2 patches or Estradiol, how long were you kept on it after you first beta?  Is it like PIO, where you take it for the full length of the 1st tri?  Or do they stop after they see high E2 levels in your bloodwork?  

And I'll have to give myself PIO shots a few times coming up.  I'll be traveling alone so I can't get anyone to help me.  I'll try to give it to myself in the booty cheek.  Any tips??  Lay down?  Stand in front of a mirror?  Bite into something b/c it'll hurt like a mofo?  

Me 33, DH 37 -- TTC since Jan'12 -- Low AMH (0.78) & endo, SA w/ low motility
IUI's 1-3 = BFN, IVF converted to IUI 4/13 = BFN
IVF 1.2: 8R 6M 4F -- 2 blastocysts frozen, FET 8/15 = BFP!!
Beta #s = 445;1,098; 9,545  -- EDD 5/2 -- Team Pink!
Camila Josephine arrived 4/30 :)

Re: Estrogen Q and PIO tips

• I was on Estrace for 8 weeks and PIO for 10 weeks. My dosage for each got lower halfway through or so.

After my u/s at 7w5d (my RE graduation date) she gave me my final dates for each to stop.

I only did PIO shots twice by myself so I'm probably not the best as I never got the hang of it, but I did it in front of the mirror standing up. There's some youtube videos of ladies that give them to themselves daily so maybe that would be worth checking out since they made it look effortless, but I was never that good.

(It did hurt a tiny more when I did it, but I was surprised it didn't hurt as bad as I thought it would.) Good luck!

Me: 29, DH: 30

Married: April, 2011; TTC: July, 2012

Dx: MFI; June '14 IVF w/ ICSI: 11R, 8M, 5F... 1 5dt, beta #1: 213, beta #2: 621, beta #3: 8545!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I did all my PIO shots myself as I don't trust my DH with this kind of stuff.  I used to stand in front of a full length mirror and just kinda stuck out my butt so I could see.  I did it right before I went to bed and always put a heat pack on it afterwards (I wrapped it in a towel and wore it to sleep).  The pain was bad in the beginning but you'll get used to it.  It's a just a short period of time and hang in there!  I honestly forgot all about the PIO shots until I saw your post.  Once you make it through the initial PIO and estrace stage you'll be a normal preggo lady and it's a very nice place to be.  Good luck!
    Pregnant with #2

IVF cycle 1 (Nov 2013)- freeze all d/t OHSS
    FET #1-BFN
    FET #2-BFP baby girl born Dec 2014
    FET #3-Sept 2017 BFP but miscarried at 6 weeks

IVF cycle 2 (Oct 2017)- freeze all again d/t OHSS
    FET #1 BPF, pregnant with a singleton due Sept 2018

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I was on estradiol patches after FET until I developed a rash to the adhesive. Then the RE switched me over to oral estradiol until the end of 9 weeks. I was kept on PIO until end of 9 weeks and given a choice to switch to vaginal progesterone or keep the PIO until the end of 12 weeks.

I was sick of the PIO so took the switch to the vaginal progesterone, especially since I had an upcoming trip without DH to help with PIO.

I admire anyone who can do her own PIO.

• I took the oral estrogen tablet til 10 weeks and the PIO until about 14 weeks, where I was weaned off it.

I did the shot myself about 2x. I just iced the area for a while then stood in front of a mirror and did the deed. I just recommend having everything ready and prepared beforehand. Ie: napkins, bandaids, etc.

Good Luck!

*May Siggy Challenge - Parenting Fails*

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • No one has mentioned anything about me regarding stopping either the Estrace or the PIO. Sigh. I'm just thinking it's a forever thing.

I did the PIO myself a few times and didn't stand. I sat with the corresponding side's leg crossed over the other (so if it's a shot on the right, put your right leg over the left) and just twisted with the needle in hand. Pulling out was the hardest part, aside from the panic attack about putting a needle in yourself. For me, a relaxed butt cheek is the most important part, and that's harder to accomplish on your own, but definitely doable.

Good luck!!
    **********************siggy/ticker warning**********************

***Losses mentioned.*** TTC #1 since May 2012. Me: 37, OH: 41. Ectopic August 2012 => tubal damage. :'(  Stage 1 endo removed June 2013. IVF #1 Oct/Nov 2013: Long Lupron with Gonal-F. 7R, 7M, 7F. 2 txfer@3d. Nothing frozen.  => M/C @ 8 wks. :'( Selected RPL panel all normal. Very hyper and brittle response to stims. IVF #2 (antagonist protocol) Feb 2014 => Converted to IUI (Perfect conditions). BFN. IVF #2.1 w/ new RE June 2014: Antagonist protocol. 33R, 31M, 30F, 19 blasts to test!!! I made it through without crashing!! :) Hats off to Dr. Fancypants!! ET of one 5AB blast. BFN. 13 10 CCS'ed snowflakes! FET #1 PUPO as of 7/29 Betas: 8/7@24, 8/9@97, 8/11@334 (etc.) Two sacs on 8/15, one seen on 8/18 after a bleed. U/s 8/25 (6+3) "perfect": 5.9 mm + HB@120bpm! U/s 9/4 (7+6): 15.9 mm + HB@172 bpm! Please, PLEASE stick this time!!!!
    http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae39/catfreeburg/866da40f5178fed79efe23fc8a4e8a_zps4498a9cc.jpgimageimageimageimage
  • I continued the patches until week 11, and the Estrace I started weaning at week 10-11,  PIO SUCKS and was finally completely off at week 12.  No advice on giving that yourself though, I was too much of a baby, but a friend of mine gave it to herself standing the mirror.

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I was on estrace (oral estrogen) until 10 weeks, but I started weaning (half dose) at 8 weeks. I didn't do PIO, I used endometrin, but I was also off that at 10 weeks. 
    *****************siggy/ticker warning*****************************

-Me: anovulatory/ hypothalamic amenorrhea / H: all good
    -IUI  Medicated TI Cycle #1 (Dec): Menopur  + Ovidrel + TI  = BFN
    -Benched for work issues Jan/Feb
    -IUI 1.2: Menopur + Ovidrel = BFN
    -IVF #1- Menopur + Follistim = 12R / 7M / 4F -- first beta-260, second 520. EDD 2/22/15

Welcome Dane 02/09!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"