Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Hand, Foot & Mouth?

I took my son to the doctor when I noticed these bumps on him. I thought it was bug bites because we had been outside a lot that week, and around a lake. I took him to the doctor and she said it was hand, foot & mouth and that it would last 10 more days. That was 2+ weeks ago, and he still has the bumps. Has anyone had this happen? If so, when will it go away? Could it be an allergy? They're mostly on his butt and face.

Re: Hand, Foot & Mouth?

• Options
    My youngest had HF&M at the end of July and the worst of it lasted about 3 days.  She had blisters on the soles of her feet, on her fingers, and inside her mouth.  It affected her eating/drinking for those 3 days but then she started to get better.  The blisters lasted no more than a week but her skin on her feet is still peeling from where the blisters were.  

If it has been over 2 weeks and the bumps aren't getting better, I would probably call the pedi back.
    <Lilypie First Birthday tickers> <Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers>
  • Options
    What PP said.  From the symptoms my daughter exhibited both times she had HFM, the blisters are mostly, well - on her hands, feet, and in her mouth.  Our pedi did mention that the blisters can spread to the entire body in some extreme cases, but I still don't think they should linger for two weeks or more.  Is he running a fever?  I would give the doc a call.  Maybe he kicked the HFM but has gotten another virus with some similar symptoms (roseaola perhaps?).  GL, and I hope he starts feeling better soon!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD had this recently too - well, I am not 100% convinced that's what it was, I think it may have been roseaola, but the doc says HFM.  Anyway, her bumps have taken forever to go away as well - I haven't called the doctor again, just because they are getting somewhat better, and they warned me they could hang around for a while (they also said 10 days, and it was much longer than that).  She also managed to get a bunch of bug bites right after the HFM, so poor kid has had a rough go of it lately.  All are healing, just slowly. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker         
  • Options
    DD had it recently, too.  Her bumps were mostly inside her diaper area.  Other kids had it at her day care way worse than she did.  She didn't really have many bumps on her hands or feet and none in her mouth.  However, about a week after her bumps went away the bottoms of her feet started peeling pretty bad...like there were blisters there but there weren't.  It was really weird.  At first I thought it was her shoes rubbing on the side of her foot by her big toe.  Then it was her whole foot.
  • Options
    My son had this a month ago, he had a sever case and over 3 weeks later he was still healing! The pedi did say that what was left was a little scarring and that could take 2-3 months to completely go away. I would just call and ask the doctor or nurse what they think. Good luck that virus is miserable!
  • Options
    DD has had HFM twice and it was miserable. The second time was a lot worse.The bumps should be noticeably better over the course of the two weeks otherwise I would say it is probably something else. However, DD had it over a month ago and she still has some slight scarring on her face from the bumps. Most ppl whose kids have had it that I've talked to also notice that it takes awhile for the skin to completely heal. I hope your LO feels better soon!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I'm going through this now, and I have it as well. The blisters are itchy, painful, and uncomfortable, I feel so bad for DD. When do the blisters feel better? this is awful for her:(
  • Options
    pixie769 said:

I'm going through this now, and I have it as well. The blisters are itchy, painful, and uncomfortable, I feel so bad for DD. When do the blisters feel better? this is awful for her:(

I'm sorry that you both have it! Once my little guys fever went down he seemed to feel somewhat better and then the blisters became an annoyance for him. He was miserable for about 5 days then got better every day after that! Good luck and hope you both feel better soon!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"