July 2014 Moms

Are you giving anything up for lo?

Our lo has been having acid reflux and gas problems. We started reflux medicine and it has been helping but we are still having issues. Today the dr. Recomended I try takimg dairy out of my diet to help with his gas issues. So I am because I love my lo and don't want him to be in pain....but omg! I love milk! It's only been one day and its so hard! I drink an insane amount of milk, 2 gallons a week, and I missit so much already! I keep going into the kitchen to get something and walk out empty handed because I keep wanting milk...I'm like a freaking addict lol anyone else having a difficult time giving up something?

image.

Re: Are you giving anything up for lo?

• My husband plants am amazing garden every year. Summer time is the only time I eat fresh tomatoes annnnd since DS was born July 10.... Guess who hasn't eaten yummy juicy fresh red ripe tomatoes, this girl!! No BLT, no tomatoes and mayo sandwiches, no tomatoes and cumcumbers salad, no fresh slices tomatoes with a little salt and pepper, ahhhhhhhh!! Totally worth it though

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I had to give up milk too and it seems to be helping. I hate that I can't have ice cream and cheese but LO is worth it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Dairy here too. OMG I miss cheese!! Been at it for 3 weeks now. Seems to be helping LO and getting easier for me.
  • honeybee434honeybee434 member
    edited August 2014
    No tomatoes over here, either! I miss tomato sauce and pizza soooo much! I like white pizza, but it's got nothing on red sauce. *sigh*
  • Pizza. I can eat tomatoes and tomato sauce. I can eat cheese. Apparently the combo is a no-go. Wtf.

• Turkey, pork (give her INSANE MAN FARTS!) And caffeine bc of reflux. Sadly I've noticed a HUGE difference not drinking caffeine. I'm hoping I don't have to give up dairy.
    Also horrible mother confession, red sauce gives DD "ass burn" (no rash just a red burned butt from the acid). So if im really craving it I just SLATHER her butt in aquaphor before I feed her my tomato milk. Seems to work out lol
  • Excessive amounts of wine.  Just kidding, kinda.  Milk doesn't agree with me when I'm not pregnant so as soon as I had trouble I gave it up and his gassiness improved.  Tomato sauces and broccoli.  I just try to avoid gas producing foods.  I'm worried the doctor is going to tell me garlic, onions, and pepper like I had to give up with DD.  We have an appointment today and I'm pretty sure he has reflux.  None of my babies have had this as bad.  I literally burp him over a trash can because of how much milk splatters everywhere. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• shortstack930shortstack930 member
    edited August 2014
    I had to give up milk because she was getting super gassy. It's not too bad though, I've just been having almond or soy milk instead.
    TTC History
    Me: 35 DH: 34
    Married 07/2012
    DD born 07/2014
    DD2 born 10/2018
    DS born 10/2022

IF history:
    TTC #2 since January 2016
    June-Aug 2017: 3 IUIs w/Clomid = BFN
    Sept 2017: Dx w/Endometriosis
    Oct 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Nov 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Dec 2017: pre-IVF testing
    Jan-Feb 2018: IVF--17 eggs retrieved, 13 fertilized, 9 frozen and 1 transferred on 2/10 = BFP on 2/19!!! EDD 10/29/2018
    FET Oct 2021: BFP on 10/31! MC at 5 weeks
    FET Feb 2022: BFP on 2/15! EDD 10/29/22

• No dairy, soy or egg here. DD had those allergies too, so it isn't as difficult to cut this time around.
    DD 11/1/12
    DS 7/16/14
    DD Free from FPIES triggers as of 18 months! 
    Sweet potato, avocado, banana, mango, oats, wheat & rice outgrown.
    Dairy, soy, and peanut allergies outgrown! Allergic to eggs.
    DS MSPI, egg allergy
  • just coffee so far, but I have to eliminate for my intolerance to histamine- no tomatoes, alcohol :(, or fermented food, among others. I hate it so much.  For DS1 I did dairy (I didn't know I had intolerances of my own then), its wicked hard- worse then any other single elim.. However, my son can't eat most foods due to his allergies, so that keeps things in perspective.

imageimage"">

• Dairy and corn. The corn seemed to really make the difference.. Her gassiness and tummy pain disappeared from one day to the next! It's sad having to give up so many yummy foods (corn takes out corn syrup and corn starch, and I love dairy!) but it's worth it.
  • Sleep and the ability to roam around the other 3/4 of our house or outdoors.

But seriously, I have given up the milk I had with breakfast each morning for now.  I refuse to give up cheese.  Cheese is like my favorite thing in the whole world.  I haven't touched the ice cream in the freezer that's singing a siren song to me.  I'm not eating a ton of cheese, but I need it for the flavorz.

I feel like a rogue right now because I'm sitting at my PC at the other end of the house clutching a baby monitor to me.  When baby makes me have to stick to my ipad, I give up the ability to put breaks between paragraphs.

• The dr told me that I had to give up dairy today to try to put an end to LO's green diapers. For those of you who have given up dairy, how long until you saw improvement?
    image"">image"">imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @huahine we gave up dairy about 2 days ago...I can't really tell if it's helped. He's less fussy but still passing gas A LOT! so I don't know if it's the acid reflux meds helping or the lack of dairy...
    image.
  • hab83hab83 member
    edited August 2014
    Huahine said:

The dr told me that I had to give up dairy today to try to put an end to LO's green diapers. For those of you who have given up dairy, how long until you saw improvement?

DS was having a lot of green poops. I'm BFing and was dealing with an oversupply, which led to a fore milk/hind milk imbalance. I stopped pumping and did block feeding for a couple of days and the poops are back to mustard. He's still really gassy and fussy, though, so I'm probably going to try eliminating dairy next.
  • @hab83 - I also have oversupply and over active letdown. So I refused to believe it might be a dairy issue and spent two weeks trying to address the green stools and fussiness with block feeding and waking to feed, but it didn't help. The doctor swabbed one of his diapers and tested for blood. It was inconclusive. But with all his other symptoms (gas, spitting up, hiccups, explosive poos, etc) she thinks a cows milk protein intolerance is likely the unifying diagnosis. Good luck to you!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Huahine‌ it sounds like we have the exact same situation. I feel for you. my overactive let down and supply has brought us both to tears.
    image.
  • @Huahine‌ I would try just feeding from one breast per feeding. Lo had the exact same symptoms. Gassy, fussy, green stools, red bottom (but not a rash). Things changed for the better within 24 hours! I've given up dairy too. It can take dairy about 2 weeks to fully be out of your system so it might take a while to see improvements. Good luck!

This.  I had oversupply and overactive letdown with DS, so I just started right away with block feeding DD.  So far, so good.  All poos are mustard color (when she goes).  It seems like I dealt with green poos with DS for months. 

• Green poops isn't normal? DD has had a few green ones but nothing else to suggest anything is up.

Block feeding it is then, see if it makes a difference before moving on to diet. I've got enough food intolerances of my own that cutting anything out would mean basically nothing I can eat.
  • HuahineHuahine member
    edited August 2014
    argonne said:

@Huahine‌ I would try just feeding from one breast per feeding. Lo had the exact same symptoms. Gassy, fussy, green stools, red bottom (but not a rash). Things changed for the better within 24 hours! I've given up dairy too. It can take dairy about 2 weeks to fully be out of your system so it might take a while to see improvements. Good luck!
    This.  I had oversupply and overactive letdown with DS, so I just started right away with block feeding DD.  So far, so good.  All poos are mustard color (when she goes).  It seems like I dealt with green poos with DS for months. 

------------ quote fail------

I tried for two weeks to fix it with feeding from just one side and block feeding. It didn't help. Of course, I don't know how much worse it would be if I hadn't been doing that, but even with block feeding his poop is still green and mucusy and he is a fussy uncomfortable mess.

It pains me to cut out dairy b/c I eat so much of it, but I'm willing to give it a try. Thank god Oreos are dairy free!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Very excited to say that we may have turned a corner this morning. After 2.5 days of dairy elimination we have the first mustard yellow diapers I've seen in weeks. LO was less fussy yesterday and took longer naps, but I was afraid to read too much into it. Now I'm hopeful that we've found the problem, but boy am I going to miss ice
    cream and cheese.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • darkangel42darkangel42 member
    edited August 2014
    Huahine said:
    Very excited to say that we may have turned a corner this morning. After 2.5 days of dairy elimination we have the first mustard yellow diapers I've seen in weeks. LO was less fussy yesterday and took longer naps, but I was afraid to read too much into it. Now I'm hopeful that we've found the problem, but boy am I going to miss ice cream and cheese.
    Non-dairy ice-cream isn't half bad but the non-dairy cheese should be ashamed for masquerading as food. (I'm lactose intolerant)
  • Someone sent me this yesterday. I haven't tried it yet, but, um QUESO DIP!
    https://hewontknowitspaleo.com/paleo-aip-queso-and-top-8-allergen-free/
  • I haven't had any dairy problems that I've noticed, but this week I've eaten a TON of cheese, and her diapers have just a tint of green yellow instead of straight yellow. So, looks like I'm cutting back on the cheese.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"