Pre-School and Daycare

peanut alternatives

I just bought sunflower seed butter to try and thought DD, who is allergic to peanuts, could have some too if she wants.  She had a bite and was fine, but then I saw the label said it may contain trace amounts of peanuts and almonds.  Normally I let her have anything that is not peanuts and don't worry much about those types of warnings because it's on everything, but I"m wondering if this is more serious?  Would you give a child with a peanut allergy sunflower seed butter?

Re: peanut alternatives

• DD1 (6) has a severe peanut allergy. The Sunbutter that we buy is made in a nut-free facility. I wouldn't give DD the one you're describing. We don't give her anything that's made in a shared facility or on shared equipment though.
  • DD1 (6) has a severe peanut allergy. The Sunbutter that we buy is made in a nut-free facility. I wouldn't give DD the one you're describing. We don't give her anything that's made in a shared facility or on shared equipment though.
    This. We use Sunbutter (peanut free) and Barney's Almond Butter (also peanut free, but obviously not tree nut free)
    My daughter is my hero.
  • Loading the player...
  • My son has a peanut allergy and we use sunbutter.  Some brands are made in a nut-free facility (why they have some that aren't is beyond me).  Just look for a different brand.
  • We use Sunbutter as well.  And Wowbutter is good (soy-based). 
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • I would ask her pediatrician. There's a child in DD's preschool with a peanut allergy and he is being treated for it by desensitization, under the care of his allergist. Basically, they are slowly upping how much peanut he's exposed to so his immune system quits reacting to it. At the end, he will have to eat a peanut butter cup every day to keep up his resistance. I was fascinated by this, but of course this is absolutely not something you should try without medical supervision.
  • Depends on your kid and your dr. DS1 has a peanut allergy and we give him things "Made on same equipment" or "made in same plant" as things with peanuts. Example, M&Ms, he loves those. He seems to only have reactions with straight Peanuts. We use Sunbutter, which is made in a peanut free/nut free environment because its tastiest and whats available to us.
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"