September 2012 Moms
Options

Help me plan a getaway!

So DH has to travel for work the first full week in November. I'd like to fly somewhere to meet him when he's done, for a long weekend without the kiddos. Since I'm coming from the Northeast and will only have 3 nights, it seems like South or Midwest are our best bets to maximize time. We'd like to go somewhere we've never been together, and probably not a beach town since it will be too cold to swim. We've considered NOLA, Austin and Chicago (even though we'll freeze, lol), but are there other great places to check out? I feel like I'm drawing a complete blank, even though there are always a million places I want to go. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Help me plan a getaway!

• Options
    edited August 2014
    I think Austin and NOLA are great picks and both have a ton to do. Great restaurants and entertainment plus sights to see during the day. Now I'm getting jealous!

Edited: words
  • Options
    I would recommend Chicago, but not in the winter maybe :(

My vote would be Austin!

Katherine Quinn | 9.16.2012 | 38w4d

Ryan Lanman | 9.12.2014 | 40w

2 Losses | 10/2010 @ 5w | 9/2013 @ 10w4d
    Little Sprout Blog

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    Nashville :) Or the Smokey Mountains. We have a later fall so Nov is usually gorgeous.

TX has a few good vacation spots: Austin, San Antonio, and DFW.

Charleston or Savannah

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    Austin and NOLA sound like great options.  I'd go south that time of year for the weather.  

I'd only recommend Chicago during summer months or closer to the holiday season.  Christmas shopping is great in Chicago, but I think you'll be there a little too early for that.  

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Options
    hmp1 said:
    Nashville :) Or the Smokey Mountains. We have a later fall so Nov is usually gorgeous.

TX has a few good vacation spots: Austin, San Antonio, and DFW.

Charleston or Savannah

I love Nashville, but DH and I have been there together, and I was there last year.

• Options
    I love TX, but not Dallas.  There's around 20 places in TX I'd rather go than hit up Dallas again.  San Antonio, Austin, Galveston, San Angelo, Houston?  All of them have great things to do.

Otherwise, I think Chicago in November is awesome!  It's not usually frigid by then, and there's so much to do.  Hotels are cheaper, crowds at the Bean and at the museums are a lot smaller and you could probably get tickets in advance to go and see a taping of Jerry Springer. :-)  I mean come on.  That's incentive.  I went to a taping of Springer when I graduated HS.  It was incredible.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Options
    Also, Book of Mormon is playing in Chicago and everyone I know that has seen it has said it's just the best.  I really want to go see that myself.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    edited August 2014
    I love TX, but not Dallas.  There's around 20 places in TX I'd rather go than hit up Dallas again.  San Antonio, Austin, Galveston, San Angelo, Houston?  All of them have great things to do.

Otherwise, I think Chicago in November is awesome!  It's not usually frigid by then, and there's so much to do.  Hotels are cheaper, crowds at the Bean and at the museums are a lot smaller and you could probably get tickets in advance to go and see a taping of Jerry Springer. :-)  I mean come on.  That's incentive.  I went to a taping of Springer when I graduated HS.  It was incredible.

I am a Fort Worth girl, not a Dallas girl. They are very very different cities. Houston sucks though. Don't go there. Same with Galveston, the absolute worst of all the Gulf places to visit.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    amandad715amandad715 member
    edited August 2014

@MarisaKathleen
    Yep I totally did the Jerry Springer taping in college!  Sooooo not me, but fun! 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"