January 2014 Moms

Don't know what to do!!

My babies will not sleep in their cribs at night anymore. During the day they sleep just fine during their naps 1-2 hours each but once bedtime comes it's all downhill. For at least a month now I've spent most, if not all, of the night in their room rocking one or both of them and only sleeping when I pass out from exhaustion while rocking or feeding them. My son sleeps ok if I bring him to bed with me but my daughter won't sleep in our room because she gets too excited. I don't want to do any sleep training that includes crying, especially right now because I think this is being caused by seperation anxiety. But I just don't know what to do. I'm so tired and frustrated

imageimage

Re: Don't know what to do!!

• Oh man, we just went through this with only one baby! I feel for you! Cosleeping is all that works for us right now, but you said that doesn't work for your dd. :(

What finally helped for the 2-3 hours after Patrick's bedtime and before ours was I lay down nurse him in our bed and then sneak out once he's asleep. At least that worked last night!

Again, I know your situation is different and I hope you are able to find something that works soon!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Patrick: born at home on January 14, 2014

• Can you provide a little more detail around "won't sleep in their cribs"? What is the nighttime routine like? Where does it go downhill? Do they sleep together? Do you put them down asleep or awake for naps? And what about at night?

Night time routine is nurse, brief teeth, diaper change, sleep sacks, story, rock to sleep. I also rock them to sleep for naps. In trying to work on weaning them off of being rocked so I can put them down awake. They sleep in the same room, separate cribs. Once I put them down at night they start waking up crying at least once an hour. Sushi and patting do nothing, they want to be picked up. If I nurse them they eat but I don't think they're really hungry. They're obviously tired because they usually fall asleep quickly, they just want to be held

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • MiaMyPuggleMiaMyPuggle member
    edited August 2014
    I think they are used to their routine already, so it will be really tough to break them from it. Can't teach an old dog type thing.... Just start getting them used to the putting down awake...do you have a sound machine? I do the ocean sound and my kids (3 yr old DS still loves it) sleep soundly, for the most part. It may be a long process ahead of you, I believe. I hope not for your sake. I'm beat getting up with one baby a few times a week. Good luck, Karah!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • I agree with everything @tarajeanette said. While we did CIO, there are definitely gentler methods, but inevitably some crying will be involved. The constant room service is going to have to end at some point, and they are not going to be happy about it, thus the crying. 

Rocking to sleep and then being put down is like an adult falling asleep in their bedroom and waking up in the living room. Its disorienting and scary for that to happen to anyone but unlike an adult, a baby can't change their environment to the way it was so they cry for help. 

Babies are quick learners and highly adaptable, all it takes is consistency on your part and to make sure the routine does not change. 
  • danaadell said:

I think it's the rock

itsmeally said:

karah4816 said:

Can you provide a little more detail around "won't sleep in their cribs"? What is the nighttime routine like? Where does it go downhill? Do they sleep together? Do you put them down asleep or awake for naps? And what about at night?

Night time routine is nurse, brief teeth, diaper change, sleep sacks, story, rock to sleep. I also rock them to sleep for naps. In trying to work on weaning them off of being rocked so I can put them down awake. They sleep in the same room, separate cribs. Once I put them down at night they start waking up crying at least once an hour.
    Sushi and patting do nothing, they want to be picked up. If I nurse them they eat but I don't think they're really hungry. They're obviously tired because they usually fall asleep quickly, they just want to be held

@karah4816 I had to giggle at your auto correct.  SUSHI does nothing?! what is wrong with those twins?? ;)

Sushi works for my lo! Or is it the sake??

Haha. I guess that's what I get for not proof reading, at least I got a chuckle. Thanks for the advice everyone, I hope I can get this worked out soon

imageimage

• I highly recommend the Sleep Lady's Guide to a Good Night Sleep!  It is gentler than CIO.  Plus, you get to stay in the same room as your babies in the beginning, so there won't be separation anxiety.  My DH and I agreed to try it for 5 days.  The 1st night I cried in the room with my DD for 45 minutes.  The 2nd night she only cried for 9 minutes!  I kept telling myself that DD and I both needed more sleep.  DD is much happier now that she is sleeping better! 
  • Don't know if this actually works, bit my friend suggested putting a heating pad in the crib so that it's warm. Take out the heating pad before putting the baby in, of course, but that way, it's more similar to your body heat.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Patrick: born at home on January 14, 2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"