July 2014 Moms

Reflux anyone?

Re: Reflux anyone?

• My LO is on .8 @ 3 times a day and I think generic of Zantac is ranitidine. I don't wake her to give her a dose. I end up doing twice a day instead of 3 times. I see my pedi soon and wonder if she will up the dose. She originally wanted me to put baby oatmeal in her bottle to treat reflux. From the sharing here, I felt an Rx would be a better remedy than adding cereal to bottle. I honestly did want to add solids at 2 months.

The Zantac has provided so much relief, she sleeps through the night. She still spits up, but I don't here her choking it down hours after feeding. She still suffers from painful gas, and is a crappy napping, but at least she gets about 8 hours straight every night. She mostly wants to be held all day, in my arms, in the car carrier, or in her stroller moving.

I'm about to do the cereal. She's so miserable from spitting up, I'm hoping that keeps it down. We are on 1.0ml Axcid and going to the pedi again today so they can check for milk intolerance. She can only take the problem down formula so that's why I'm going to try oatmeal instead of an AR formula.
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• BBColt78 I did rice cereal with my first baby for excessive spit up at Drs recommendation and it helped, but did not try until 4 months.  Finding the proper nipple flow is a PITA, most bottles have a tri cut nipple, but I still found difficulties with flow and would have to cut the holes bigger. 

Could you share how pedi will check for milk intolerance?  Is it a symptom checklist or an actual way of testing?  I've considered going to soy, but I hear there are concerns and I'd rather not unless it's totally necessary.  Now that Zantac is helping with reflux, gas pain is my primary concern.

• Loading the player...
  • @abundancenow‌ our pedi said with milk intolerance they look for symptoms then they can run a test. but most likely it's reflux. pedi also suggested doing 1 tablespoon of rice cereal with one or two bottles a day starting at 3.5 months. no sooner. and to do it at the times LO is usually the worst with reflux.
  • @abundancenow‌

They wanted a poop diaper to check under a microscope for blood in stool. Lo didn't poop, so I couldn't take the diaper in. I too want to try soy. Why not? The way I think of it is it had to be better than my lo being miserable all the time. I'm trying it, no doubt.

I'm going to wait on the oatmeal to make sure her body can process it. I'm going to wait until month 4.

We started prevacid today. This weekend is rough. Baby has cried all day, pretty much both days. We are losing it
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

• Ellie was on soy for 2 days and had THE WORST constipated poops, it was heartbreaking
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @BBColt78‌ how many ounces is LO taking at a time? What forumula is she on now?
  • @BBColt78 I had no idea they could determine milk allergy that way. I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. I've had moments of intensity, crying, fussiness, no peaceful sleep, but with adjustments improvement. Let us know how it goes if you try soy. I hope things get easier. It has been easier since 3 months.
  • Just wanted to chime in with the soy idea, my pedi recommended starting on that slowly by mixing 75/25 at first, and then 50/50 etc. because the soy is a very different taste. 
    Soy didn't seem to help we ended up hospitalized because he wouldn't take feeds we are now on alimentum. Hope this is the fix!
  • abundancenowabundancenow member
    edited October 2014
    @Hilee18 so sorry you've had such a tough time. Thanks for the soy tip, I still haven't switched. I hope the alimentum helps your baby.

@Csltdk, I read in another thread that you switched to alimentum, how's it going? I just didn't have the chance to reply in the thread at the time. Curious about alimentum, my dr really talked me out of trying it due to the smell, babies don't like it, and the cost.
  • Just wanted to say my DS has reflux and he's on soy and he has been doing great with it. Between that and the medicine he's been doing really good.
  • Hey girls!!

Ok so we switched to Prevacid and tgat sucked for three days at least. I just went ahead and bought soy to try it. When switching, I did a slow change mixing our regular formula with the soy. First day 25%, second 50% and today 75%. So far DD spits up waaaaay less than she had before. Also, she is not pulling her knees up anymore and crying as much. Just because she seems happier, I'm staying with the soy regardless of if a milk allergy is ever found. The smell of soy isn't the greatest and DD is drinking much slower because of the taste. My plan is to get alcohol free vanilla extract and put a drop in each bottle. Read that online.

I'll probably stay on a 75% soy for a little while. I'll use up the Gerber that I have first. So far we are pleased.

@Csltdk‌ she drinks between 4 and 5oz. Mostly 4 on average. I gave her the up and up soy. We are mixing that with Gerber soothe.
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

• @Hilee18 so sorry you've had such a tough time. Thanks for the soy tip, I still haven't switched. I hope the alimentum helps your baby.

@Csltdk, I read in another thread that you switched to alimentum, how's it going?
    I just didn't have the chance to reply in the thread at the time.
    Curious about alimentum, my dr really talked me out of trying it due to the smell, babies don't like it, and the cost.

She's doing much better on the Alimentum. She takes 4-5 oz at a time and is up to 34oz a day.

that being said- THE SHIT REEKS AND IS SO EXPENSIVE! I guess whatever works but yeah stinks like potatoes
  • Mine hated Alimentum. I have two samples from pedi though
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

• jennp1979jennp1979 member
    edited October 2014
    How many weeks is LO ?
    Weight ?
    How many ozs are you up to a day?
  • @csltdk have you checked with insurance about coverage, I THINK (I'm waiting to hear back from the caseworker) my insurance will cover nutramigen or elecare. 

My son is 11.5 weeks now was up to 9 lbs, but dropped to 8 lbs 13 oz. (note: My son was born with severe IUGR at 2 lbs 15 oz). He eats about 30 oz a day he's a little piggy. 

I blanked on zantac last night and of course he spit up through his nose. I cried. Horrible mom moment. 
  • Yeah, my insurance doesn't cover it :(
  • We had similar issues. Projectile vomiting. Everything. Almost all fixed by taking him to the pediatric dentist and having his tongue and lip tie lazered. Check your babies. I didn't realize it was even there until we had him checked. He now gets so much less air when eating and only spits up a bit.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @ohwhyno I was wondering about that. What does the tie look like? My LO has a terrible bottle latch and takes in so much air. My sister is a night nanny and has worked with countless babies. She said my LO's latch sucks thus the air intake is much higher than it should be. How do I check her tongue?
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

• Do any of you use a crib wedge? If so, what do you think of it? My LO is sleeping in the rock n play because the incline helps. He doesn't sleep well in his crib but I'd like to transition him in at some point.
    Right now we put a pillow under the mattress and it's at about a 20 degree angle. I didnt' buy the wedge only because around 4 months they start rolling all over and I thought that could be a disaster. One wedge allows you to velcro them to it, but I thought that was unnatural. I will say though that mine hasn't spitup in her sleep, so maybe that's why I'm a little nonchalant. 
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

• So LO projectile and reflux has increased last 2 days. Doctor said they do not increase the amount of Prevacid but instead i should start LO on oatmeal ...she said cereal will not work with Prevacid. LO is only 3.5 months...I'm thinking I should wait...
  • BBColt78 said:

@ohwhyno I was wondering about that. What does the tie look like? My LO has a terrible bottle latch and takes in so much air. My sister is a night nanny and has worked with countless babies. She said my LO's latch sucks thus the air intake is much higher than it should be. How do I check her tongue?

DS had a tongue tie that the pediatrician clipped when he was 2 weeks old. It helped with his latch and air intake. So less hiccups and spit up.

Anyone know when/how to know to stop meds? I plan to ask the pedi next month at his apt but he's been doing so well. Granted he has his meds 2x daily. I'm just wondering how to know when he won't need them anymore :-/
  • jennp1979 said:

So LO projectile and reflux has increased last 2 days. Doctor said they do not increase the amount of Prevacid but instead i should start LO on oatmeal ...she said cereal will not work with Prevacid. LO is only 3.5 months...I'm thinking I should wait...

What does it mean that cereal will not work with Prevacid?
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

• That's what she said...that the medicine will not work with the cereal...no idea...she also said that he never should have been put on the medicine in the first place because he doesn't scream or arch his back during feedings and only spits up clear fluid and projectile during feedings . This is all coming from the nurse, the doctor put him on everything
  • jennp1979 said:
    That's what she said...that the medicine will not work with the cereal...no idea...she also said that he never should have been put on the medicine in the first place because he doesn't scream or arch his back during feedings and only spits up clear fluid and projectile during feedings . This is all coming from the nurse, the doctor put him on everything
    That sounds weird. Mine is on Prevacid due to the constant screaming and arching while eating since she was two weeks old. I just started giving her cereal (very, very little) and she spits up much less than she did before.

Is your baby on formula with the projectile?
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

• Yea he is on Nutrimigen
  • jennp1979 said:

Yea he is on Nutrimigen

Poor thing. If he is still projectile puking, I'd try soy. With no help from our pedi, I went to soy as I remembered my nephew did much better on it after projectile puking. We've done much better and she's even a little less fussy. Plus, it's so much cheaper than the Alimentim she was on.
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

• Is soy ok if LO has a dairy intolerance...he didn't take well to my breast milk so they put him on the hypoallergenic Nutrimigen
  • I definitely suspect silent reflux. She hiccups all the time, has never been one to lay flat, gags/coughs out nowhere, she has sour smelling breath, and what I think is clear spit up every once in a while. She's only actually spit up a few times ever, but this clear stuff isn't saliva and it smells. She also does the back arching/leg tensing thing, and often, at night time, is awful to get settled down.
  • jennp1979 said:
    Is soy ok if LO has a dairy intolerance...he didn't take well to my breast milk so they put him on the hypoallergenic Nutrimigen

Stuck in gray! Yes, soy is normally the next thing for dairy intolerance. I can't for the life of me understand why it's not suggested more. DD is doing much better on it.
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

• Pediatrician just upped DD's Zantac dosage, so I'm hoping things will start getting better again. The Zantac has helped a little but not enough, so I'm thankful we get to up her dose.

@mamakiss‌ This is exactly what my DD does and she has silent reflux. The screaming and arching back is heartbreaking. :/
  • @sharmon1317‌ is your lo on meds? It helps a lot. They will still spit up, but it helps with the burning, arching, crying. We started on Axcid and that sucked. She now takes Prevacid and is doing better. I also switched her to soy.

She still throws up a ton. That's the annoying thing, but she's a happy spitter while on meds.
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

• glitterclawsglitterclaws member
    edited October 2014
    @sharon1317 - what's LO eating?  We were on zantac and then moved to nutramigen for reflux, not milk allergy.  It definitely helped.  Maybe something to ask about at your appointment.  Since it's practically pre-digested formula, it's just easier for a reflux belly to process.

eta because I messed up the tag
    //

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

::formerly csmith - regular/lurker since Nov13:: 
  • mamakiss said:
    I definitely suspect silent reflux. She hiccups all the time, has never been one to lay flat, gags/coughs out nowhere, she has sour smelling breath, and what I think is clear spit up every once in a while. She's only actually spit up a few times ever, but this clear stuff isn't saliva and it smells. She also does the back arching/leg tensing thing, and often, at night time, is awful to get settled down.
    This was DD before the Zantac!  Clear, stinky, acidy drool!
    Even now when I forget a dose, it will quickly return.

@sharmon1317 Maybe your LO growing and the RX is not working as well?  My pedi said that he doesn't increase dosage, but as baby grow the medication will become less effective.  He said as she ages the reflux should go away.  I am not at a place where it has gotten worse so I haven't complained and did not ask why he would not increase if needed.

I‌'m sorry, it sucks to see them uncomfortable and to not be able to help, I hope it gets better soon for you guys.

• @sharmon1317 we had to have DS meds upped at his 2 month apt because he had gained 4 pounds from the initial dosing. When we did that, we saw a big difference! Now he's gearing up for his 4 month apt in a couple weeks. I'm not sure if we will up the dose or not again, but it makes total sense that it becomes less effective as the baby grows and would need a dosage increase. DS screams and arches his back during burps and makes sour faces when he spits up (BF baby too) so I totally get it.
  • For those that are on Prevacid. Do you dissolve tablet in syringe and give or dissolve directly in mouth?
  • My LO is on Prevacid but his medicine is compounded
  • Anybody having reflux come back? lO was doing so good for about a month on Prevacid and now the last two weeks have been really bad all of a sudden .

He is on Nutrimigen formula due to a possible milk allergy from my breast milk because he had bad gas

Now the last two weeks he has been realizing clear and formula 6-8 times a day.

I took him to the doctor last week and they thought it could be a bad batch of Prevacid so we exchanged it but nope he's still refluxing really bad...projectile

We go Friday for his 4 month shots so I'm going to talk to the doctor again but at this point I think she's just guessing while my poor LO is soaked all the time.
    He doesn't cry or get upset just projectile clear fluid that smells like stomach acid and also formula

Has anybody had experience with this and what fixed it? Please help
  • For those that are on Prevacid. Do you dissolve tablet in syringe and give or dissolve directly in mouth?

I was told not to give it in the mouth.

I mix ours in a bottle cap then give in the syringe.
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

• The doctor said with Prevacid you cannot increase the dose but with Zantac you can.
    We're thinking of just stopping the medicine all together since it's no longer working. LO is a very happy baby and doesn't cry or arch back so maybe we just deal with the clear fluid and see what happens when we start solids.
    The Nutramigen did help tremendously with the gas but now the question is...is it the formula and should we move to soy.
    We go to the doctor today, I'll keep u posted
  • jennp1979 said:

The doctor said with Prevacid you cannot increase the dose but with Zantac you can.
    We're thinking of just stopping the medicine all together since it's no longer working. LO is a very happy baby and doesn't cry or arch back so maybe we just deal with the clear fluid and see what happens when we start solids.
    The Nutramigen did help tremendously with the gas but now the question is...is it the formula and should we move to soy.
    We go to the doctor today, I'll keep u posted

My niece is 11 months and still does this. Have you taken LO to a GI? I would if there is stomach acid.

My sister mixes cereal in the Nutramigen too. She's been doing that since my niece was three months. Something else you can consider.

I also mix cereal in DDs bottle. She spits up less
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"