September 2013 Moms

So who isn't sleeping through the night?

Does anyone have any tips or tricks? Or just want to commiserate?

E was sleeping through the night until he started dealing with ear infections a couple of months ago. Now if I'm lucky we get a whole night every 2-3 weeks but that hasn't happened in a while. I've been nursing to get him back to sleep easily, which is a habit I had completely broken at about 6 months. I would love to break that habit again, but I am so tired and that definitely works.

I don't know what I'm looking for here; I'm just tired. We keep losing food and breast milk by leaving it out accidentally over night. And we are snapping at each other. Someone please tell me I am not alone!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: So who isn't sleeping through the night?

• We don't sleep through the night. She only ha a hand full of times. We usually do 1-2 wakeups a night . I just go in and nurse her for a bit.
  • This sounds absolutely crazy but my DD wakes up every hour still.. The few nights I counted her wake ups it has been anywhere between 11-15 times.

We're far from sleeping through the night. There was once a week when she was 3 months that she would do 3-5 hour stretches, but it didn't last longer than 5-6 days. If I think about sleep too long I could actually cry I'm so exhausted!

You are not alone!!
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO wake up every 2-3 hours. We co-sleep now and it helps sooo much. I barely have to wake up.

For LO's first 10 months, he was in a crib in his own room, so bed sharing is still new to us
    EDD 9/3/13
  • Our LO wakes up 2-3 times a night, usually requiring a feeding around midnight (bedtime is 8pm). She easily goes back to sleep with cuddling (we co-sleep, a whole nother issue we need to figure out). She does eat a whole 6 oz bottle at the midnightish waking and easily falls back to sleep.
  • This sounds absolutely crazy but my DD wakes up every hour still.. The few nights I counted her wake ups it has been anywhere between 11-15 times.

We're far from sleeping through the night. There was once a week when she was 3 months that she would do 3-5 hour stretches, but it didn't last longer than 5-6 days. If I think about sleep too long I could actually cry I'm so exhausted!

You are not alone!!

@Burrberrymum‌ you are not alone either! We have nights like you're describing where DS is up every hour. A good night for us is one with only 3-4 wake ups.

We also had a week or two around three months where he did a few 5 hour stretches, but never again. And he has clearly never slept through the night. I can't even imagine what a 4 hour stretch of sleep would feel like.
    TTC #1 since 6/08. Cycle #6 - BFP 12/22/08, EDD 9/3/09, DD 8/14/09 at 37w1d
    TTC #2 since 6/11
    me=36 - low AMH, DH=38
    BFP #2 - 8/31/11, EDD 5/10/12, M/C 9/23/11
    BFP #3 - 3/4/12, EDD 11/14/12, CP 3/11/12
    BFP #4 - 5/9/12, EDD 1/19/13, CP 5/11/12
    BFP #5 - 8/22/12, EDD 5/5/13, CP 8/24/12
    IVF#1 - January 2013 - EPP/Antagonist - 7R, 3M, 2F, 3dt of 2 8-cell embies
    BFP #6 - 2/3/13, EDD 10/15/13, DS 9/18/13 at 36w1d
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My little guy has been STTN for a couple weeks until the last four nights when he wakes up at 4am. I bring him into bed and we co sleep the rest of the night. He has a tooth cutting through so I'm pretty sure that's the reason. @Burrberrymum‌ I'm so sorry 15 times is crazy!
  • I am so sorry to those of you who have babies that are waking up every hour. I don't know how you are surviving. I am old and having trouble getting through the 1-3 times E is waking up!

I think part of ours is teething as well. It's so hard, because I feel like I could finally be ready to sleep train but don't want to do it while he isn't feeling well. As of last week, he still has fluid on his ears and his gums are swollen so I know he doesn't feel so great. It's so hard to know what to do.

Can I just fast forward to 5? :)
  • DD is not sleeping thru the night.  Its so frustrating because DS was sleeping thru the night by 9 months.  She doesn't need to eat but its the only thing that gets her back down.  we had a 10 day stretch of only one wake up and I thought we were pulling out of it and then the last couple nights its been two wake ups.  SUCKS!  But now she is teething so I feel like Im starting over.
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• My LO sleeps though the night 75% of the time.  On the nights that he does wake up he usually wakes up once or twice.  
    <Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • I'll commiserate. I can count on one hand the number of times LO has slept 5hrs since she's been born. I actually brought her into the bed with us at 5 or 6 months because I wasn't able to function well at work.

• I also feel your pain. I don't have it terrible and luckily don't require a ton of sleep to function but we almost always have at least 1 wake up usually around 4AM. I nurse her back to sleep because it's the fastest method to get us back to bed. Usually there is another 1 or 2 wake ups where she can get herself back to sleep. She's so inconsistent that I stopped getting my hopes up. Last night she slept from 1030-6 and that might be the 3rd time that has happened in her over 11 months of life. I will expect nothing less than 3 wake ups tonight to make up for it :)
  • dd doesn't sleep through the night either. we finally just side-carred the crib to our bed and it makes things easier for everyone. Some nights she only wakes up once or twice, but other nights I can't even count how many times because it's so frequent and I'm just so out of it. I just let her do her thing though. We tried sleep training, using many different methods, and it was a giant, stressful fail for all of us.
    One DD born 9/23/13.
    We're one and done!
  • You are not alone! DS was teething and had HFM, then gave HFM to both DH and me while continuing to teethe. 2 weeks of grumpy mc crabbycakes family. it got ugly. 

We had a couple of glorious weeks this Summer where LO slept through the night. But as soon as I went back to work, 2 wakeups a night. It could be soooo much worse at least he is still in his crib. But if he starts waking up several times a night again we will go back to co sleeping. When he wakes he wants to nurse and it takes about an hour to get him back to sleep.

I hope your DS feels better soon and everyone gets some good sleep!
  • We are right there with @burrberrymum too.  I give in most nights and put him in bed with us so I can get some sleep.  He sleeps really well with us. I just don't want him in our bed for years... :(
  • Well, since sttn is five consecutive hours by that definition lo sttn. She goes to sleep around 8:00/8:30 and wakes up around 2am to nurse and again and 3am and 4 am and finally at 5am and she doesn't go back to sleep until 10am.
    We bed share so this isn't a negative thing for our family. Lo will just side nurse with me and go back to sleep. What works for us may not work for another family so don't think that I am saying bed sharing is the answer.

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• We occasionally bed share but usually E invades my husbands space, which makes him a little cranky. I try to only do it if E gets up again at 4 or 5 and I just want another couple hours of sleep. Oh and we have a king size bed, so it really shouldn't be a problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"