October 2014 Moms
Options

Anyone else get extremely anxious between ultrasounds?

My last u/s was at 19 weeks and my next won't be until next week at 32 weeks. Everything has gone as expected so far, with no issues requiring additional ultrasounds, so I really have no justified reason to worry. I feel LO moving pretty regularly, so I can only assume all is well. But I am extremely anxious that it's been so long since I (or more importantly my doc) has been able to see LO. I think part of my worry is a result of my sister delivering her son stillborn at 39 weeks (about 7 years ago) and two people I know suffering 3rd tri losses last year. I know I really have no reason to worry, but feel more and more anxious with every day that passes since the last ultrasound.

Re: Anyone else get extremely anxious between ultrasounds?

• Options
    What PP said. I have monthly ultrasounds and used to feel a bit anxious the day of or the day before, but at this point, with all his intense kicks and jabs, healthy HB measurements at MW appts, and consistent tummy growth measurements, I really don't feel anything but excitement to see him again now.
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My last u/s was at 19 weeks and my next won't be until next week at 32 weeks. Everything has gone as expected so far, with no issues requiring additional ultrasounds, so I really have no justified reason to worry. I feel LO moving pretty regularly, so I can only assume all is well. But I am extremely anxious that it's been so long since I (or more importantly my doc) has been able to see LO. I think part of my worry is a result of my sister delivering her son stillborn at 39 weeks (about 7 years ago) and two people I know suffering 3rd tri losses last year. I know I really have no reason to worry, but feel more and more anxious with every day that passes since the last ultrasound.

((internal paranoia increases, thanks OP))

Honestly, a woman can have weekly ultrasounds and the above can still occur - ultrasounds do not prevent or prohibit fetal outcomes.  Do your best to reassure yourself that everything has been normal up to this point and that you have no reason to believe that this pregnancy will not continue to progress normally.

Anxiety is par for the course.

Well I'm glad I'm not completely alone here. I guess I'm just the kind of person who needs to see things to believe them. (Maybe one of the reasons I've always struggled with religion! ) Sorry if I increased your anxiety by bringing up my worries!

• Options
    I feel you @ashleyvictoria. Anxiety is totally normal though. I struggle with it in life in general and it has come in waves with this pregnancy. I also think feeling an increase at the end makes sense because the baby will arrive soon and you just want everything to be ok! I've found that daily meditation is really helpful as well as talking to my midwife. She always makes me feel better. 
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    ((internal paranoia increases, thanks OP))

Honestly, a woman can have weekly ultrasounds and the above can still occur - ultrasounds do not prevent or prohibit fetal outcomes.  Do your best to reassure yourself that everything has been normal up to this point and that you have no reason to believe that this pregnancy will not continue to progress normally.

Anxiety is par for the course.
    Well I'm glad I'm not completely alone here. I guess I'm just the kind of person who needs to see things to believe them. (Maybe one of the reasons I've always struggled with religion! ) Sorry if I increased your anxiety by bringing up my worries!
    I had an extremely negative outcome with my last pregnancy (which I won't detail here), so I spend every day in a relatively large amount of fear - no number of ultrasounds or NSTs will alleviate that fear or help the "fire" die down. Even "seeing" it doesn't help, because you're not "seeing" everything via ultrasound - despite having fetal MRI and other advances, we are relatively limited in our technology for monitoring pregnancies.  

At some point you just have to appreciate each little movement and cross your fingers and hope for the best.  
    Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• Options
    ashie0610ashie0610 member
    edited August 2014
    I have no ultrasounds scheduled for the remainder of this pregnancy.  My last was at 19 weeks as well.  I hear you, I get anxious sometimes, especially when I hear about others whose doctors ended up catching things during ultrasounds that they might not have known about otherwise.  

I just try to remind myself to be grateful that I'm having an uneventful pregnancy.  I'm glad there's nothing to follow up on this time!  If something were to give them cause for concern that would lead to another ultrasound, I'd be even MORE anxious, worrying about whether or not the cause for concern would actually become a real issue.

I'm sorry about your nephew. :(
    PM me for blog link!

Lilypie - (oGcT)Lilypie - (iEmQ)  
  • Options
    I get extremely anxious sometimes if I haven't felt the baby move in awhile. This started for me after my husband died though, so I think the worry stems from that. I haven't had an ultrasound since 20 weeks and I won't be getting another one according to my OB. I just look forward to hearing his heartbeat at my appointments and try to keep calm.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Me: 30 | DH: 4/12/85 - 6/16/14 | Quinn Patrick born 9/28/14
  • Options
    Totally normal.  I have had an u/s at every appt since 20 weeks and I still get anxious, especially if lo has been sleeping/not moving recently.  Consistent, time-able braxton hicks don't help either.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I guess we should all be thankful ob visits include more sonos than back when we were born!! My mom had the first sono to confirm pregnancy and that was it!! :D
  • Options
    I get incredibly anxious right before an ultrasound or appointment. Feeling her move helps, I know they when she is moving she is at least alive and hopefully well. Movement is very nice at this point.
    ~First time mama, strikingly handsome husband, comedic pooch, krumpin' baby girl on her way~

• Options
    I had that problem early on in pregnancy cause I couldn't feel LO moving. But now I feel him all the time at 32 weeks so it's eliminated some worry. :)
  • Options

I only get one ultrasound, and I was at 23 weeks. That's it, though, unless something of concern comes up.

But, like others have said, baby is measuring well, good heart beats, lots of movement. So, hopefully all is well in there

It's a BOY! Est. Due Date - October 17th

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    It is hard not worry regardless of the amount of ultrasounds. Hang in there!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"